Overall AA and TS improved but great drop in RC..what should I do?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seong1029

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I took my second DAT this winter.
And I improved in all sections, except reading section.
It went from 21 --> 17.......in CR
However,in all other sections, I improved, and my scores for the second DAT were
AA:23
TS:24
PAT:22

The reason I did so bad on my CR is because my computer just turned off in the middle of my CR section, and I freaked out. Although they had to restart the computer and I was given the same time as I should have, I panicked.

Maybe I can tell this to the administration once I get an interview (if I do get one that is), but I am so worried that they will see how much of a drop in the CR score and will not have a great impression of the second DAT score. I also don't know how much this will affect me. I know that some schools looke at the highest scores and some the most recent, but I hope they look at both DATs and realize that I did once get a decent score on CR (the first DAT score).

So my question is, I have a pretty low GPA (3.4) and my science GPA is lower...thus,
should I be worried with my DAT score? Is there anything I can do to let all the admissions know that I had a computer problem during my testing? Should I consider retaking it??
Please let me know guys. (sorry for the long post) :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
However,in all other sections, I improved, and my scores for the second DAT were

The reason I did so bad on my CR is because my computer just turned off in the middle of my CR section, and I freaked out. Although they had to restart the computer and I was given the same time as I should have, I panicked.

Maybe I can tell this to the administration once I get an interview (if I do get one that is), but I am so worried that they will see how much of a drop in the CR score and will not have a great impression of the second DAT score. I also don't know how much this will affect me. I know that some schools looke at the highest scores and some the most recent, but I hope they look at both DATs and realize that I did once get a decent score on CR (the first DAT score).

So my question is, I have a pretty low GPA (3.4) and my science GPA is lower...thus,
should I be worried with my DAT score? Is there anything I can do to let all the admissions know that I had a computer problem during my testing? Should I consider retaking it??

I know RC is seen as an important section to many schools... but with your AA, TS, and PAT all being very high... I personally wouldn't sweat it. I think most schools will be able to see your previous score for that section (even though a few schools won't consider previous scores) and they'll be able to deduce something happened there that can be explained. If it were me, I wouldn't retake it due to your high AA/TS
Just my opinion, good luck! :luck:

A 23 AA..u should be fine IMO

Members don't see this ad :)
I find it comical that people think a "low" GPA is anything under 3.5. There's no doubt that most schools like good GPAs, but I've already heard of plenty of people getting in with GPAs as low as 2.8 and DATs of 20 - 23. Think about it - average GPAs at dental colleges is around 3.4-3.6. Key word: average. Which means to get that average the distribution of data points has to fall on each side of the average. So obviously to get a 3.4, there will need to be people on the high end (3.6-4.0) and people on the low end (2.9-3.4).

15 years ago when I first applied, I had a 3.4 and scored a 15 (yes, you saw that correctly) on the DAT, and I still got 2 interviews and one wait list (VCU). And I hadn't even completed college yet - I was only in my 2nd full year and was attempting to get in early (I was older than most at 25 while doing undergrad).

Now I'm trying again and have around a 3.2 sGPA and 2.9 oGPA, but I'm not sweating it. I'm relying on a solid (21+) DAT score, 12 years of post-grad engineering employment in the medical field, and a kick-ass personal statement and interview (if I get one).

Based on my short reading of SDN, it seems that there are more people with 3.4-3.8 GPAs and 21 - 23 DATs that DON'T get in than there are those with 3.0-3.5 and 21-25s that DO get in (anecdotal evidence, only - I have nothing empirical to validate this theory). In fact, I've lost track of the number of posts from people in acceptance/rejection threads that say they were rejected, yet have sky-high GPAs and solid DAT scores. I mean, think about it - because EVERYONE thinks they must have only the best GPAs and DATs before applying, the applicant pool has to be jammed packed with GPAs 3.4-4.0 and DAT scores of 18-23. When you have that many applicants with similar stats, the committees have to differentiate the applicants, and the way they do that is by evaluating personality, volunteer time, and whether the applicant shows a genuine interest in the field of dentistry - all of which is completed in the interview process.

In short - if you have a great personality and genuine interest that shows in your interview, I think the GPA won't matter as much. Yes, GPA is important, but I believe you can overcome slight "deficiencies" in a GPA by making yourself stand out in other areas like the personal statement and interview(s). With that DAT score and solid GPA, I think you'll get at least an interview somewhere!

Good luck!

I find it comical that people think a "low" GPA is anything under 3.5. There's no doubt that most schools like good GPAs, but I've already heard of plenty of people getting in with GPAs as low as 2.8 and DATs of 20 - 23. Think about it - average GPAs at dental colleges is around 3.4-3.6. Key word: average. Which means to get that average the distribution of data points has to fall on each side of the average. So obviously to get a 3.4, there will need to be people on the high end (3.6-4.0) and people on the low end (2.9-3.4).

15 years ago when I first applied, I had a 3.4 and scored a 15 (yes, you saw that correctly) on the DAT, and I still got 2 interviews and one wait list (VCU). And I hadn't even completed college yet - I was only in my 2nd full year and was attempting to get in early (I was older than most at 25 while doing undergrad).

Now I'm trying again and have around a 3.2 sGPA and 2.9 oGPA, but I'm not sweating it. I'm relying on a solid (21+) DAT score, 12 years of post-grad engineering employment in the medical field, and a kick-ass personal statement and interview (if I get one).

Based on my short reading of SDN, it seems that there are more people with 3.4-3.8 GPAs and 21 - 23 DATs that DON'T get in than there are those with 3.0-3.5 and 21-25s that DO get in (anecdotal evidence, only - I have nothing empirical to validate this theory). In fact, I've lost track of the number of posts from people in acceptance/rejection threads that say they were rejected, yet have sky-high GPAs and solid DAT scores. I mean, think about it - because EVERYONE thinks they must have only the best GPAs and DATs before applying, the applicant pool has to be jammed packed with GPAs 3.4-4.0 and DAT scores of 18-23. When you have that many applicants with similar stats, the committees have to differentiate the applicants, and the way they do that is by evaluating personality, volunteer time, and whether the applicant shows a genuine interest in the field of dentistry - all of which is completed in the interview process.

Have you seen this thread by the doc? He quantifies exactly what you're talking about. I like a good success story as much as the next guy, but I think there is more value in analyzing statistics, rather than anecdotes.

OP: according to the spreadsheet by doc, 73% of those with an AA of 21 or above gained acceptance... Odds are in your favor, so just work on the rest of your application and forget about the DAT for now, you rocked it.

You will be fine

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

You're fine. I got five interviews at really good schools with a 17 RC section. I know people who have gotten in with a lower QR. You're overall scores and PAT are seriously excellent. Don't even bring it up unless you are asked about it.

QR is not taken seriously at half of the schools...

what you should do is chill out. apply early and broadly and you'll definitely get in somewhere. no retake necessary imo

:troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:

Hi,

No wonder your score lowered. You keep writing CR. jk:laugh: You will be fine. Don't stress about it.

Hi,

17 in reading is somewhat okay considering huge AA and TS.

I say ur golden :thumbup: