overall gpa 3.1, no sciences, post bacc or second degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jankodejenko

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys could you help me. trying to keep this short.

i transferred from community college (gpa 3.95 ) to ucla (graduating with 2.3 w/ BA anthropology). Therefore total undergrad gpa is 3.1. I did not take any science courses at either. I was distracted at ucla and believe i can do well if i don't go out so much.

Post-bacc or second degree? Is it better to be the worst of the best class, or best of the worst class when it comes to applying to medical schools?

My resume: no DAT, 1000+ hrs dental assistant volunteer, international dental missions, music producing/dj at frat parties and hollywood clubs

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Are you applying to medical school or dental school? I'm assuming the medical school part was just a typo.

Given that you have not taken any science classes, you will still need to take all of the prereqs. I would look into finding out how long it would take to do either a second degree or just taking the classes as a post-bacc. If it would take you 3 or 4 years to do another degree, verses just 1.5 to 2 for post-bacc, then I would go the post-bacc route to save time and money. However, when you take those classes, you will need to very well to help make up for your 2.3 at UCLA. When you apply to dental school, you will need to submit all of your transcripts, so admissions will see that.

For your other question, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to that. You need to make yourself a strong applicant with a high GPA, good DAT score, and quality shadowing/volunteer/personal statement/etc. You should aim to be the best of the best class.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you applying to medical school or dental school? I'm assuming the medical school part was just a typo.

Given that you have not taken any science classes, you will still need to take all of the prereqs. I would look into finding out how long it would take to do either a second degree or just taking the classes as a post-bacc. If it would take you 3 or 4 years to do another degree, verses just 1.5 to 2 for post-bacc, then I would go the post-bacc route to save time and money. However, when you take those classes, you will need to very well to help make up for your 2.3 at UCLA. When you apply to dental school, you will need to submit all of your transcripts, so admissions will see that.

For your other question, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to that. You need to make yourself a strong applicant with a high GPA, good DAT score, and quality shadowing/volunteer/personal statement/etc. You should aim to be the best of the best class.
thanks - yes i made a typo *dental

Members don't see this ad :)
post-bacc would be the same thing as getting a second degree. It will take a long time to get a second degree because you don't have any science classes. You need to begin taking your pre-req classes and do well one them. Your sgpa should be significantly higher than your oGPA in your case. Good luck!

I had no science classes and finished a second degree in 14 months. It just depends on the school, so you have to investigate.

My school ended up helping me on several fronts. First off, they had three [intense] summer blocks, instead of one or two longer ones (knocked out gen chem my first summer which made everything possible). They let me take some upper level bios before finishing general bio. They accepted all my 1st degree gen eds and waived all theirs. They offered a "general science" B.S. (Basically a Chem minor plus a bio minor with math/physics/social science sprinkled in) which was only a handful of classes beyond what I would have taken for just the prereqs. They also let me have a clutch substitution so a teaching extracurricular counted as my last outstanding bio credit.

But you don't even need another degree. You can just take the courses you want, which might be the most cost effective. That was my plan until the degree just fell into place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
I'd go what ever route you can get your classes done the fastest and for the least amount of money. Honestly though, without pulling a 3.8 or better in all of those classes, you are going to really be fighting an uphill battle. Being "distracted" sounds like an excuse. Now, if you were undergoing chemo treatment or something, ok, but the high GPA at the CC to a VERY low GPA at a 4 year school will be a glaring black mark on your application unless you can prove you can handle the work. I would say that if all else were equal, a Masters program is the way to go in your situation.

I had no science classes and finished a second degree in 14 months. It just depends on the school, so you have to investigate.

My school ended up helping me on several fronts. First off, they had three [intense] summer blocks, instead of one or two longer ones (knocked out gen chem my first summer which made everything possible). They let me take some upper level bios before finishing general bio. They accepted all my 1st degree gen eds and waived all theirs. They offered a "general science" B.S. (Basically a Chem minor plus a bio minor with math/physics/social science sprinkled in) which was only a handful of classes beyond what I would have taken for just the prereqs. They also let me have a clutch substitution so a teaching extracurricular counted as my last outstanding bio credit.

But you don't even need another degree. You can just take the courses you want, which might be the most cost effective. That was my plan until the degree just fell into place.

What school did you go to for this? And you went in under "second degree"?

Last edited: