Overall gpa vs science gpa

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by pbehzad, Nov 16, 2002.

1. pbehzad

pbehzad Faddayy

Do you think it hurts if their is a decent gap between your overall gpa and your science gpa? For example like an overall gpa of 3.8 and science of 3.5. Would you say science gpa is more important than overall gpa?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AegisZero

AegisZero Senior Member

I would say most people have a science GPA lower than their overall GPA. The gap doesnt matter since you are at such a high GPA anyway.

4. Iron Horse

Iron Horse The luckiest man

I agree with Aegis, even though he's probably a dookie. Your concern is a non-issue.

5. medicine2006

medicine2006 Happy Pisces

Attending Physician
    The usually pattern that Overall GPA higher than science GPA goes to show the grade inflation they have in the non-science disciplines. Science majors have it harder. I know of countless stories of how former pre-meds did so much better after they changed to easier non-science majors.

6. AegisZero

AegisZero Senior Member

I am a Duke student. And frankly, I dont really give a crap about your opinions either Iron Horse. I dont really see why you freaks are so caught up on dissing everyone's school, im just trying to answer some friggn questions here. Maybe you should shut your pie hole unless you have something of use to say, because as it stands now you are wasting everyone's time (and oxygen, likely) :rolleyes:

pbehzad, you are in very good shape. I would equate your GPA "problem" to someone getting an 11, 14, 14 on their MCAT. In other words, its not a problem :)

7. lakewill

lakewill Junior Member

What about a 3.2 sci and 3.8 non sci, 3.45 overall..

will that huge difference hurt?

8. AegisZero

AegisZero Senior Member

Hmm. Im assuming you're a liberal arts major who took a minimum of science classes? If that is indeed the case, they will look at 3.2 vs 3.45, I dont think they look at major/non-science GPA. Just overall GPA and science GPA.

So the difference is .25. In this case the difference isnt much at all (I would guess that is around average). But both are sorta low. I think you are in pretty good shape though, especially if you did well on the MCAT.

9. chopsuey

chopsuey miss independent

I have a decent size gap between my two GPA's...i don't think it's a problem because there is an upward trend (i.e. upper level biology classes are a lot easier at my school than the pre-med reqs, in my opinion) and i had a decent MCAT score to sort of balance things out. Also, the higher GPA is pretty high to begin with, so it's not that the lower one is hideously low. This seems to be your situation, too, though I would want to pull that 3.2 up to at least a 3.3 just to be on the safe side.

This is a pretty common situation, IMO. i'm sure that if more people read this, they could post (anecdotal) testimonials of getting in to med school despite this (e.g. I got into Temple with my discrepancy).

Don't worry! If you can raise your grades by taking more science classes, go for it! If not, I don't think you're going to be too disadvantaged by what you've got.

good luck! :)

10. chopsuey

chopsuey miss independent

By the way...on AMCAS, they have your BCPM GPA, All Other GPA and Overall GPA listed. So schools most likely aren't just looking at BCPM and Overall...I'm guessing that they're looking at everything since the math is all done out for them by AMCAS. I'm obviously not on an adcom, but that's my opinion.

11. Iron Horse

I expected a sarcastic twist or jab in return, but apparently someone lacks a sense of humor and/or has an exam Monday. Relax.

12. AegisZero

AegisZero Senior Member

Nope, I did do some jabbing initially but its really not worth it. Uh, your comment wasnt funny in any way. There was no joke or punchline so I dont really see what youre getting at. If your lack of spelling is supposed to be funny, Im sorry I missed it, I consider illiteracy more tragic than humorous.

Maybe you should only post something when you're not wasting other people's time. Your post in response to the threadstarter really had no point but to try to call me out for going to Duke. Consider adding real content to your answers to actually help people, as opposed to just messing with other posters. Because, as it stands, youre just being a nuisance. :rolleyes:

13. Diogenes

Diogenes Succat

If there is a large gap, then one of them isn't high, and that is sub-optimal.

14. AegisZero

AegisZero Senior Member

Good point. Also, if there is a small gap, and one of the is low, that is also sub-optimal.

15. Iron Horse

Did some jabbing initially? Where/when? I concurred with your post in order to encourage the poster not to worry about his stated concern. You then launch into some reflexive, ultra-sensitive diatribe because of one tongue-in-cheek quip. I repeat: take a deep breath and relax.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. AegisZero

AegisZero Senior Member

Your response was useless in that you didnt say anything to back up your statement. You merely made it not to appear off-topic to get your jab in. You really need to put things in perspective Iron Horse, not everything is about you and your dislike of Duke. Other people have concerns about their own medical careers, and would rather have their questions answered than be used as a platform for lame comments. I dont know where you get the idea that Im not relaxed, I am just telling you something straight up that you might not have been told earlier-- that other people in fact want their questions answered and that not everything revolves around you and what schools you like or dislike. I repeat: the whole world doesn't revolve around you. That might be shocking, but its true. Accept this fact and your life might become a whole lot easier.

With that, if you have a response Iron Horse, PM me. No need to waste other people's time with this. This is my last post on this thread regarding this, because this person seems to have his question already answered.

18. bigdreamer#1

bigdreamer#1 I'm ok, your ok!!!

Well...First of all, i'd like to apologize to the original poster here for my lack of a good response...I do, however, agree with the others who replied.

I felt the need to jump in here....don't ask me why...and point out that from an outside observers point of view regarding the little friction here between the two SDNer's, Aegis and Iron horse, it does seem that Aegis is a bit emotional in response to a minor playful ribbing, that actually complimented his response to help the poster. Not attacking, just commenting, dont' know either of you. No reply needed.

19. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member

Yeah, Aegis seems to take everything personally. Especially with that opinion about how that mightymouseal thing made UT look bad. That was ridiculous...

20. sketchyMcG

sketchyMcG Bonafide

:laugh: What an a$$hole! I cant believe how touchy some of you fockers are! Aegis, get over yourself, Duke is overrated.....

anyhoo, no worries about that gpa,, as long as your MCATs are worth half a crap you'll have no problems....

21. TeinVI

TeinVI Banned
    Banned

[​IMG]

i, too, agree that aegis was overreacting to iron horse's comment.

duke sux. go heels

22. Bodybuilder

Bodybuilder Member

Unfortunately, science majors make themselves feel better with vast generalizations like this. There is an enormous tendency to assuage ones bruised ego of a suboptimal GPA with this statement. It simply isn't true in some circumstances.

At UCLA, the accounting and management courses were significantly harder and more competitive than the science courses. I completed business/economics and pre-med, finishing with a 3.99 Science and 3.84 cumulative. The simple fact of the matter is that the accounting brought me down. Why? Simple, because it was more competitive than my science classes.

Although I think this major generalization is true some of the time (e.g. poly sci, straight economics, etc.) , many times it is simply a coping mechanism.

My $.02.

23. AegisZero

AegisZero Senior Member

Im glad you guys are willing to answer the original posters question... Ive come to the conclusion that I dont really give a flying fock what you rejects think.

If ya wanna talk about this junk, IM me and I might respond. Otherwise, leave this thread in the (messy) condition that it is in-- at least dont make it any worse

And Random Access, those two guys were BANNED I believe. I didnt take it personally, but it was definitely getting annoying with their antics. If you had actually read my post, you would see that I only made a big that they both went to (and were embarassing) the same school to try to get them to stop being such jerks-- a lot of people will stop being morons if they realize that their actions have a much broader effect than they think.

So really Random Access, I dont know where you are getting your BS from, but reference that old thread to see why the hell I would even mention the school they goto. I talked about it at depth.

sketchy mcg, feel free to PM me. Ive looked through your post record. Maybe you should try making some USEFUL commentary on this board. If you wanna make some more BS up, feel free to PM me. Dont waste everyone else's time.

So to conclude, yeah, someone was giving me crap about my undergrad (very very common SDN) and I replied in kind. You dont like it? Too bad, you probably dont know what its like anyway. So, no, im not "touchy" or "anxiety-prone", im just getting farking annoyed at answering someones question and then getting BLINDSIDED with an insult to my undergrad, as what started this thread.

24. exigente chica

Ok, so back to the topic at hand.:p

I too am troubled by this I have a 4.0 Non-sciene and a not so great science..does this look reallly bad to adcoms or what?

25. TeinVI

TeinVI Banned
    Banned

if you get so riled up when somebody jokingly talks smack about your undergrad to the point where you have to start an argument, over the internet no less, i hope you don't run into much trouble in your career as a physician

26. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    do you mean not so great as in ~3.5, or not so great as in 2.7? if its the former, i wouldn't sweat it :)

27. TeinVI

TeinVI Banned
    Banned

well....shiet alright i guess i have no right to say anything since i got banned a few times

28. AlternateSome1

AlternateSome1 Burnt Out
    Physician

Attending Physician
    What about the opposite - if one has a higher Science GPA than Non-Science? Also...is any major which grants you a B.A. a liberal arts major or is there some other distinction?

~AS1~

29. LoneCoyote

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't think that getting a BA automatically makes it a liberal arts major. At my undergrad college, which was a small liberal arts college, everyone got a BA even if they majored in Physics. But the science majors were definitely considered science majors and not liberal arts ones. Also some larger universities often offer both a BA and a BS degree in the sciences and they are both considered science majors. The differences are usually taking more labs, or a few different courses. Hope that helps.

Peace.

30. Dr. Wall$treet

Banned

can anyone say... BABY.. cry baby cry

31. exigente chica

It's more the former, but I am applying MSTP, so I don't think that this will look to good.:rolleyes:

32. 2badr

2badr **Switch**

I was actually about to ask the exact same question as the OP...I am glad I found this thread instead.One q tho,since the Basic Science GPA is added separately,the courses taken in your major-and all others is counted toward your overall gpa and not your Basic Science GPA right?

33. Diogenes

Diogenes Succat

ALL math, physics, biology, and chemistry is included in basic science GPA, regardless of why they were taken. Anything other than those 4 areas are considered "all other."

34. CalmrThanURDude

CalmrThanURDude Junior Member

Don't mind AegisZero. I know plenty of Duke(sic) students, and they're ALL like that.

35. AlternateSome1

AlternateSome1 Burnt Out
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Well then...what about Biochem?

~AS1~

36. DrMom

DrMom Official Mom of SDN
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Yes, biochem would be included too.

37. 2badr

2badr **Switch**

So it sounds like Immunology,Hematology,Clinical Microscopy etc would fall under "other" and Microbiology,A & P and Biology would fall under Basic science GPA.I guess that makes sense now.Thanks.:) I guess I asked because of the division of the classes required for Health Science majors.

38. BobbyDylanFan

BobbyDylanFan Senior Member

However, if the A & P class was offered by say the Allied Health Sciences college, it wouldn't fall under BPMC because it wasn't offered by the Bio department, correct???

39. 2badr

2badr **Switch**

Hmmmm.According to our course catalog Micro is offered by the Department of Biology,But Immunology is offered by the Department of Health Sciences and Boiology.Since Clinical chemistry falls under the Department of Health Sciences I guess it would fall under "other".Histology is offered under the Department of Biology,but there is a *similar* course offered in the Department of Health Sciences.It depends then -I can only guess -on what your major is and how the course is classified.Good topic to discuss with my advisor next semester.:)

40. BobbyDylanFan

BobbyDylanFan Senior Member

yeah, 2badr, I'm confused. For me it would be better if they let A&P go down on the BPCM chart since it would bump up my score. And I have courses like Immunology, Pathophysiology, Pharmacology, etc. that were offered by the school of pharmacy, which in my opinion are the best qualified to teach the course!:confused: