overbearing parents - what do you do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

random1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am about 2 weeks from finishing my content review, leaving me about a month - 5 weeks for FL tests, which is normal right? I took a Kap course last summer and ended up voiding the MCAT bc my score wasn't so hot so I have a pretty decent idea on what I need to work on. My parents are being extremely anxious though and keep asking me why I haven't taken a practice test yet. To make matters worse, my sister is taking the MCAT too, and has already started on FLs. She isn't improving though on the tests, which I believe is due to her rushing through content review so I don't want to make the same mistake...

It's a bad idea to take a test when there are things you KNOW you will bomb right? Is there anything I can do? I was trying to rush and do more per day to finish sooner but then I get overwhelmed and I don't want to do anything.

Members don't see this ad.

This is why you don't involve your parents in the details of your studying and other school endeavors.

I understand other people have different relationships, but I give my parents general updates on stuff like this but they are not involved in the process in any way.

I would have left yourself more time between content review and your test though, but thats just me. 5 weeks is definitely doable.

I would not waste time on practice tests before finishing content review, but that does depend on how much you really require the content review. I hadn't look at alot of this stuff in years, if its fresher in your mind then it might be less of an issue.

I'm with the camp of finishing content review before testing. That said, remember doing practice problems is essential and you can't skimp. Tell them you feel right in what you're doing, that you'll set a hard deadline of taking FLs 5 weeks before your exam--content 100% done or not. Make a calendar of how you'll spread out those FLs so that you know you'll be able to cover all of them. In the meantime, if you can get in some practice problems on subjects you feel comfortable with, that would give you a head start on test taking skills.

I'm sure the pressure to placate your parents is high but remind them that if you score less than desired med schools won't be sympathetic to "my parents put forth a strategy and I followed it despite my own assessment" as a reason. It's always good to consider input from those around you but what you're doing isn't insane (e.g. I'll just do content forever and do all FLs in 2 weeks!), so keep at it.

So I am about 2 weeks from finishing my content review, leaving me about a month - 5 weeks for FL tests, which is normal right? I took a Kap course last summer and ended up voiding the MCAT bc my score wasn't so hot so I have a pretty decent idea on what I need to work on. My parents are being extremely anxious though and keep asking me why I haven't taken a practice test yet. To make matters worse, my sister is taking the MCAT too, and has already started on FLs. She isn't improving though on the tests, which I believe is due to her rushing through content review so I don't want to make the same mistake...

It's a bad idea to take a test when there are things you KNOW you will bomb right? Is there anything I can do? I was trying to rush and do more per day to finish sooner but then I get overwhelmed and I don't want to do anything.

Everyone has their best way to do things, so if you feel finishing content review before testing is critical, then that's what you need to do. Personally, I lean towards your sister's plan for a few reasons.

(1) The real test will have a few things that don't look familiar, and learning to deal with that anxiety is part of your preparation. Your cautious approach may placate your emotions for the moment, but at some point you need to develop a strategy for handling that one passage which trips most people up.

(2) You learn from doing an exam. If you thoroughly review everything you missed and everything you felt uncertain about, then you've reviewed in context rather than in general.

(3) The MCAT tests not only your understanding of the concepts, but also your ability to take a standardized exam. Reviewing material is important, but without applying it you don't really learn it.

These are my personal opinions that work for me, but if they don't work for you, then you need to make a list of the reasons why your apporach is best for you. No matter what, DO NOT take the MCAT until you feel as ready as you think you can realistically be.

As for parents, that is a slippery slope. There is a fine line between support and added stress. I'd recommend that they make an appointment with an advisor or counselor and get a thorough rundown of the entire application process from a professional. Over the years, I've been part of meetings when our manager and I would sit down with helicopter parents and go over the timeline and schedule for a student. We found that when we'd suggest that parents back off and be a safety net more than a tour guide on the journey, it was generally well received. See if someone from your prep course would sit down with your parents for an hour and field their questions. You'd be surprised how much stress this will take off you. It helped that the manager was older (same age as the parents), so that might be something to keep in mind when you ask someone.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is why you don't involve your parents in the details of your studying and other school endeavors.

I understand other people have different relationships, but I give my parents general updates on stuff like this but they are not involved in the process in any way.

I would have left yourself more time between content review and your test though, but thats just me. 5 weeks is definitely doable.

I would not waste time on practice tests before finishing content review, but that does depend on how much you really require the content review. I hadn't look at alot of this stuff in years, if its fresher in your mind then it might be less of an issue.

x2. They just bring in more stress. Have unreasonable expectations from you and act like the med admission process and the MCATs are relatively easy. They dont know what all of that entails so they're better off staying uninvolved.