SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Overbearing Stats forAllied Health Care; NotCompetitive for Medical School

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by dewdrinker23, May 6, 2007.

1. dewdrinker23

dewdrinker23 Banned Banned

Apr 28, 2007
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. ShyRem

ShyRem I need more coffee. Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Where I hang my hat.
    If you don't really really really want to go to med school - then DON'T. Apply for the health care field you really want. Med school is way too crappy to suffer through if it's not what you want.

4. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Dec 20, 2004
    There are no worse reasons to go to med school than this one. Only go if you really want to be there. You will likely hate it otherwise. Even if you really want to be there it's a tough journey. Hours and paperwork are going up, salary going down, and the field takes at least 4 years of school and 3+ years of residency just to get started. If you think you could be happy in another allied health career, then that's what you should do -- med school is for those who don't think that.

5. Catalystik

Catalystik Providing herd protection Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Inside the tesseract
    Do not become a doctor because someone else thinks it's a good idea. Go into the career you most want to enter. If you are an especially strong contender for your preferred allied-health position, you will have a great shot at the school you'd most like to attend, the potential to be a class leader, and your choice of available positions when you graduate. Your current GPA does not make you a good candidate for medical school unless you can raise it with more coursework, or a post-bacc. Alternatively, you could prove a sustained ability to get As in upper-level science courses in a masters program.

6. dewdrinker23

dewdrinker23 Banned Banned

Apr 28, 2007
    Yah, you are correct. I find it funny that people would say you are "too good of an applicant for a certain career." How can a person even be "too good" for any career? Anyways, I know what medical school is like (a good idea anyways) and I don't find it that exciting. I had to re-read the email responses I got back from the directors I emailed about why I want to go into this certain field of study and got my thinking straight again. I hate it when that happens.

Thanks anyways!

7. Nasrudin

Nasrudin Apropos of Nothing 10+ Year Member

Jun 8, 2006
    A 3.1 is not overbearing for anything. But do what you want regardless.