Overcoming anxiety in graduate school...help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Comealongpond

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I will be entering a Phd program this fall, and I suffer from really horrible anxiety (diagnosed social anxiety). I cannot give a presentation/ go out with friends/ interact with my mentor and grad students unless I am heavily medicated. Presentations are the absolute worst (I'm talking having a panic attack with a xanax in my system, bad). I get through it, and everyone tells me I am enthusiastic and they can't even tell I was nervous. My biggest problem is that I absolutely hate feeling this way every single time. You would think with exposure to presentations and social interactions it would get better, but its just gotten worst recently.

This bring me to my question... anyone here with similar problems? How did you overcome your anxiety?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I will be entering a Phd program this fall, and I suffer from really horrible anxiety (diagnosed social anxiety). I cannot give a presentation/ go out with friends/ interact with my mentor and grad students unless I am heavily medicated. Presentations are the absolute worst (I'm talking having a panic attack with a xanax in my system, bad). I get through it, and everyone tells me I am enthusiastic and they can't even tell I was nervous. My biggest problem is that I absolutely hate feeling this way every single time. You would think with exposure to presentations and social interactions it would get better, but its just gotten worst recently.

This bring me to my question... anyone here with similar problems? How did you overcome your anxiety?

Get thee to a good cognitive behavioral therapist! You can do it with some help.

Get thee to a good cognitive behavioral therapist! You can do it with some help.

I saw one through my school but it was an absolute waste of time. It doesn't really affect me as much that I feel the need to seek any help (I guess I'm used to it by now). I just know that when I start school there will be more social expectations required of me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had this kind of anxiety my entire life (especially the panic attacks) and what we learn about CBT is absolutely true. Seems like the first problem is that you rely on medication. You will never get used to the anxiety if you continue such rituals. Everyone is anxious when they get in front of people. Time to challenge the distortions that you are unique in that way. And I say that with loads of sympathy.

I've had this kind of anxiety my entire life (especially the panic attacks) and what we learn about CBT is absolutely true. Seems like the first problem is that you rely on medication. You will never get used to the anxiety if you continue such rituals. Everyone is anxious when they get in front of people. Time to challenge the distortions that you are unique in that way. And I say that with loads of sympathy.

i know people get anxious...but at least the people around me don't have panic attacks at the thought of giving a presentation, or going out to a crowded store, or waiting in line, etc...
I hardly take medication, unless its a very important presentation. For the most part I just suffer through it telling myself it will get better. For certain things it has, but for others (public speaking, going out, talking on the phone) it just seems to get harder every time I do it/ I dread doing it more and more each time.

I was getting better too until I did a practice presentation recently and the person"helping" stopped me and asked "are you okay? It seems like you are about to burst into tears". Ever since that...I just want to die at the thought of doing it again.

Did you do anything to overcome it? Therapy maybe?

Did you do anything to overcome it? Therapy maybe?

First of all, I really want to emphasize that you get yourself to a CBT therapist and/or do some heavy reading about CBT. Second, thinking of overcoming anxiety is the wrong approach, and CBT will teach you that. You won't overcome it totally, and you shouldn't--anxiety is healthy. Think more in terms of finding a different perspective about the anxiety and riding its wave, rather than trying to stop it. :)

First of all, I really want to emphasize that you get yourself to a CBT therapist and/or do some heavy reading about CBT. Second, thinking of overcoming anxiety is the wrong approach, and CBT will teach you that. You won't overcome it totally, and you shouldn't--anxiety is healthy. Think more in terms of finding a different perspective about the anxiety and riding its wave, rather than trying to stop it. :)

its interesting because my main area of research is anxiety disorders. By overcoming it I mean bringing it from an "8/panic attack" down to a "3 or 4". I will definitely look into seeing a CBT therapist.

its interesting because my main area of research is anxiety disorders. By overcoming it I mean bringing it from an "8/panic attack" down to a "3 or 4". I will definitely look into seeing a CBT therapist.

Uh, didn't you just say you did and it was an "absolute waste of time"? Just confused.

Seriously, it might take 2-3 therapists before you find a good fit. Ask what manuals they use.

Four words:

Acceptance and Commitment Therapy

Its the best.

just the one offered by my school. I didn't have health insurance at the time.

Often times local therapists will offer discounted rates to psych grad students, particularly if said grad students are at a program that either requires or strongly encourages its students to attend therapy themselves. Thus, you might have more options available to you once you start school.

Four words:

Acceptance and Commitment Therapy

Its the best.

I agree with both these posters. A combination of CBT and ACT with some exposure therapy as well may be beneficial. I would recommend seeing a therapist who specializes in anxiety treatment, especially from a CBT orientation. You can do a quick search on the IOCDF (International Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Foundation) website, as most therapists who are experts in OCD also treat spectrum disorders.

Just to clarify, you are going to a clinical or counseling psych PhD program?

I don't say this to scare you, but you'd better get very motivated to address this very quickly. ("It doesn't really affect me as much that I feel the need to seek any help") Grad school can break even the most mentally healthy people down. And in your second year, you’ll sitting with clients for the first time. It is terrifying to even the most confident person.

You are lucky that you already recognize that you have issues. Some people are in denial until their problems result in serious consequences. You can be proactive and address things now before things get worse.

Also, in addition to getting a good therapist, you need a good psychiatrist. As mentioned by another poster, the use of benzos can be counterproductive in dealing with panic attacks. If this is a route you might want to use, you should discuss it with a professional (not a GP) and weigh out all of the issues. Further, you may be a good candidate for a more constant medication to control anxiety, like an SSRI. If you have tried and failed SSRI’s in the past, you may need a psychiatrist who can think creatively.

It is possible to get through graduate school in clinical or counseling psychology with mental health issues. I don’t want you to lose hope, but you need to get on top of this right away to ensure that you are able to meet your goals.

Best,
Dr. E.

Its going to be a clinical Phd program. Actually giving therapy in my 2nd year is at the top on my list of worries as of now. I am definitely going to look into getting some help during this summer so that I have some skills to work with, and as soon as I arrive to the program I want to look into therapists around the area so I have a good support system for my anxiety.

Mostly I manage with xanax in situations that will cause me high anxiety, i've never tried SSRI's.

I've always been aware that my anxiety problems are beyond what is "normal" anxiety, but i've always managed to cope with the help of friends and family - all of which I will be losing the second I start this program (the close support system, I know my family/ friends will always be there).

thank you!

Definitely get in with a therapist, and make sure its one who knows what they are doing (a surprising number do not). Good rule of thumb...no mention of exposures, probably not someone qualified to be treating anxiety disorders.

Also, grad school is a form of exposure therapy in and of itself. While you may need to do some groundwork to get yourself in a good place to begin with, once you are just a "normally anxious" person, that will likely go away quickly.

I was always an introvert, and despised anything approaching on public speaking my entire life. Giving weekly or bi-weekly lectures in front of hundreds of undergrads is great exposure therapy. I don't even want to think about what I'd have done if high-school-me was told he'd have to get up in front of 100 undergrads and talk about sex for an hour and a half.