Overcoming bad prior GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MasterFlash

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This sounds like me! I am 35, with a terrible undergrad GPA of 2.5 which haunts me! and about to start pre-med courses, and hopefully a post bacc soon. Thank you for the inspiration and hopefully I will one day be posting as a low GPA success story!

I get what you mean about the "haunting part". I had the same undergrad GPA and haven't even been able to get into any post bacs because of it despite the fact that it was over a decade ago. :( What did you end up doing for your premed courses?

Members don't see this ad.

I get what you mean about the "haunting part". I had the same undergrad GPA and haven't even been able to get into any post bacs because of it despite the fact that it was over a decade ago. :( What did you end up doing for your premed courses?

Hi! There are some post baccs that are more forgiving if you write a killer essay and have good lors. They may be out of state for you, but if you're committed and able, that might be a really good option. There is a way to also take classes a la carte to begin with and prove that you can handle the weight by showing a strong upward trend with a 4.0 sgpa and reapply with that in tow. Some also like seeing a strong GRE score, as a way to show you can handle academic rigors of school. Those are my suggestions. I would avoid any community college classes, that won't show you can handle med school in any shape or form. Hopefully, I will some day be able to post my success story after having finished my post bacc, on my way to med school! Best of luck!

Why not do a DIY post bacc or a second Bachelor's at the closest state school?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile