Overcoming fear of Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted244469

Is anyone "terrified" of Chemistry? I am and I dont know how to get over it. It just gives me the heeby-jeebies everytime I go to class. Im only in Intro to Gen Chem as well, so I have a long way to go. Its very weird, as I don't have this problem with Biology at all and Ive gotten to the point at times where Ive thought about forgetting about becoming an MD because of it. What is the best way gain confidence? I read to just do practice problems over and over again until you pass out. :laugh: Is this true? Any other suggestions? the labs (have one next semmester) are what scare me the most.

Members don't see this ad.

umm....not sure why you would be terrified- chemistry can be pretty bad, but it's not the end of the world. plus, you do worse if you think you'll do worse..

but yes, you need to do a lot of practice problems in chemistry, as well as reading over and understanding the concepts.

and don't sweat lab. it's not too bad

Is anyone "terrified" of Chemistry? I am and I dont know how to get over it. It just gives me the heeby-jeebies everytime I go to class. Im only in Intro to Gen Chem as well, so I have a long way to go. Its very weird, as I don't have this problem with Biology at all and Ive gotten to the point at times where Ive thought about forgetting about becoming an MD because of it. What is the best way gain confidence? I read to just do practice problems over and over again until you pass out. :laugh: Is this true? Any other suggestions? the labs (have one next semmester) are what scare me the most.
I'm studying for chem right now!!! Lol.

I've been doing practice problems for at least a good hour and a half. It seems to be working, since I feel as though I am retaining the methods of doing each type of problem (hopefully this will hold up until my exam tomorrow :scared:). Just do problems and re-read the chapters in your book or your lecture notes until things start to stick. And don't worry, tons of freshman are scared of gen chem, you'll get over it.

Believe me when I say you have absolutely NO REASON to be scared of lab. It's ridiculously easy. As long as you can follow directions well, you should be completely fine.

If you happen to be studying moles right now, like me, check out this amazing site I found. No more toiling over the periodic table to find molar masses!! :smuggrin:

http://www.convertunits.com/molarmass/

Members don't see this ad :)
well if its any consolation, organic is almost nothing like gen chem, its almost like an entirely new subject of science

I'm studying for chem right now!!! Lol.

I've been doing practice problems for at least a good hour and a half. It seems to be working, since I feel as though I am retaining the methods of doing each type of problem (hopefully this will hold up until my exam tomorrow :scared:). Just do problems and re-read the chapters in your book or your lecture notes until things start to stick. And don't worry, tons of freshman are scared of gen chem, you'll get over it.

Believe me when I say you have absolutely NO REASON to be scared of lab. It's ridiculously easy. As long as you can follow directions well, you should be completely fine.

If you happen to be studying moles right now, like me, check out this amazing site I found. No more toiling over the periodic table to find molar masses!! :smuggrin:

http://www.convertunits.com/molarmass/

That link is incredibly helpful. Thanks!

Its just that I CANNOT balance equations. I just am challenged at it and I dont know why. It does not click for me.

Its just that I CANNOT balance equations. I just am challenged at it and I dont know why. It does not click for me.
Same. My prof tells us to balance the element with the least number of instances in the equation first and then to work from there, but I usually just find myself playing around with some numbers until it works.

He says the same to us. I usually find myself playing around with numbers and then shouting an explicit word and giving up

He says the same to us. I usually find myself playing around with numbers and then shouting an explicit word and giving up

I'm guessing this word you speak of rhymes with "duck."

Haha yes that one as well as words that rhyme with Lit and Wham.