Overcoming obstacle/challenge essay feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crossroad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all, was hoping for some help picking between two possible topics for my adversity essay. Anything is appreciated!

1. Moving around a lot growing up
2. As an immigrant to the US coming to embrace my cultural identity, and more specifically my non-American name... recognizing that some people (and future patients?) might see me on paper and think that I don’t speak English well
Both can work, though I don't see a reason why you shouldn't combine them. I would focus on your being an immigrant, needing to move frequently, and dealing with cultural differences. You can emphasize your adaptability and resilience, while highlighting some of the problems commonly encountered by immigrant populations.

Personally, I would not spend too much time on the name thing / concerns about how you'll be viewed by future patients. Plenty of people in medicine have "non-white" names. Your academic record and application will speak for itself, and we will get to talk with you in person for the interview. Good luck

Thank you for the feedback! I agree and have done as suggested.