Overdue MCAT Journey Post (Took the MCAT 5 Times)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jambandman

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's up everyone. I took the MCAT 5 times lol. Improved from 48something (2017) up to 509 my last time (2020). I hate the MCAT.

Let me first start out by saying that I am not a great writer, which is well documented (never getting above 125 on CARS) so bear with me through this post because it'll be somewhat crude to make up for my shortcomings (that's what she said). I also started this whole processes after graduating, but I think this post could help anyone in their MCAT journey.

I wasn’t part of any forms back in 2017 when I took the test the first two times so I was going in blind when it came to study material. I had a lot of fun in college so all of the material I learned in my classes was gone long before I started studying. I quickly learned that I needed a set of review books so I picked up some Kaplan books and I was able to achieve a 499 by using these books (after sitting for the test 4 times). Then I found the Reddit premed forum and learned that I was a ****ing idiot and everyone scores 515+ after studying for a month... Well I didn't totally believe what I was reading because I know most people are full of **** in person so it can only be worse online. After sifting through the scum of what is premed forum bs I could kind of get a feel for who was giving more genuine advise and started seeing 3 common denominators:

MCAT course
Anki
Practice Tests

I had attempted a typical MCAT course while still in school (one of those 2 day a week ones) but that was not going to work because I was way too unmotivated to study for my classes + party + do MCAT so I got a refund. I revisited the course idea after my 4th MCAT and I think this was absolutely crucial for me and my situation. Like I said up until this point I was basically doing content review from scratch on my own with books that came out a year or two after the MCAT switched to the new format. I chose a company that has the option to to a summer intensive course. I don't want to be a shill so I won't say who it was, but it was an online program that I did EVERY SINGLE DAY FOR 8 weeks. Let me be very clear I did not do **** outside MCAT prep with this company. I woke yup at 7, ate then sat at my ****in computer for hours until the day's lectures were over. This format was perfect for me. Yeah it costs a ****load of money. Make it ****in happen. Crying on the internet isn't going to make you money to pay for this course getting a job or getting a loan will.

I started the Miledown deck a month before starting the MCAT course and added stuff I learned in the class to it. I didn't care if it overlapped with what Miledown already had because I didn't know **** and didn't want to run the risk of missing out on testable info. This was crucial as well because by test day I had matured over 5000 cards and while I didn't know the reasonings behind all of the topics I at least had 5000 pieces of info that were directly related to the MCAT that I had basically memorized. On the test this allowed me to have a vague idea of what was being talked about and I could see themes that carried over into the questions. The course will give you the base knowledge while Anki keeps that knowledge fresh. I'll flat out say if you're not doing Anki than you are ****ing yourself over.

As advised I did practice tests every week (10 total including all AAMC) before I took the real MCAT. You have to do practice tests for a few different reasons. 1. You get used to how the test looks and how ****in stressful it is to answer the questions under time constraints. Take most if not all of your tests at real test speed. You will not get an accurate idea of how well you are doing if you do it any other way. 2. You get to review all the questions the next day and make cards out of ANYTHING you don't understand. This may be just as important as taking the actual test. 3. You get to see progression. Even if you don't budge the first 3-4 tests you will end up going up and it is a huge motivator.

TLDR: If you are dumb as **** like me and want to go from a 499->509 take a MCAT course, pound Anki, Do practice tests until your eyes bleed.

Also, to all those people out there who have a sub 3.0 GPA. Yes you. The person reading this post who is procrastinating studying. You can get into medical school. It'll take a hefty upward trend, but you can do it. I did and I procrastinated wayyyy more than you ever will, but I flipped the switch one day and worked my ass off which finally paid out this cycle with multiple As.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Fun read. Congratulations on being accepted. Now go on and become an amazing physician.

Reactions: 1 users