Overseas experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SteadyEddy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone...I have a question about information regarding an overseas experience in general/vascular surgery. We have a research year that we participate in, but I have received permission to do a clinical experience if I can find one. Anyone have any websites/info? The older guys used to go overseas, but trainees aren't doing this so much any more. I think it would be a cool experience. Thanks for the help in advance.
SE

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone...I have a question about information regarding an overseas experience in general/vascular surgery. We have a research year that we participate in, but I have received permission to do a clinical experience if I can find one.
Anyone have any websites/info? The older guys used to go overseas, but trainees aren't doing this so much any more. I think it would be a cool experience. Thanks for the help in advance.
You didn't specify where exactly you'd like to go, however if you are interested in lots of hands-on experience, and South Africa is an option you may want to check out the surgery departments of the following two hospitals:

http://www.chrishanibaragwanathhospital.co.za/bara/index.jsp
http://capegateway.gov.za/gsh

CapeTown and Jo-burgh are great places to do Trauma - so popular with some medical students and residents that the spots fill a couple of years in advance.

Australia has some great experiences in rural surgery (ie, in the Northern Territory, Alice Springs) as well as Microvascular Surgery in Melbourne.

And while its not overseas, Bassett in Cooperstown, NY also has a rural general surgery fellowship, 6 - 12 months, which can be done during residency, and seems to be fairly popular with those who are considering a more remote US practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking along the lines of a Vascular Surgery opportunity in England. Thanks for the feedback guys.
SE

England is much more difficult to arrange an elective. One of my friends did an elective there and they made her take the "english as a second language" course (even though she's canadian and her first language is english. Aparently it's a requirement for everyone from outside the UK.

It is possible, as she was able to set up the elective and do it. I think it just takes a lot of organizing and time.

A few residents in my program also went to Australia and New Zealand for electives and they were fairly easy to set up.

Good luck