overseas medical school : Israel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bevo

Radiology, R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone applied to any programs out there? or know where I could find information on programs. I heard about one where you do your first 2 years over there but then do the last 2 years(rotations?) in the United States.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You're referring to Tel Aviv University's Sackler School of Medicine.

The link to the joint US/Israel program they offer is http://www.tau.ac.il/medicine/NYprog/NYprog.html.

I really don't know all that much about the program, but I'm very interested if anyone has any input.

Anybody know any other programs with Israel.

I want to do some years there also.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try posting in the International Forum

one of the guys i work with just finished his first year there....post any q's and i can probably ask him within a few days. it sounds cool, though he was saying that when you come back you are considered to be a FOREIGN medical student, so you're at a disadvantage that way. also, he's had a bunch of bomb scares over the last year, but he doesn't seem terribly worried about it.

Im not sure I have any specific questions. Just what he thinks about the school in general. What kind of grades/scores did he go in with. How big of an adjustment was it.

ok...i'll ask, though i'm not too comfortable asking about grades and scores (i'm sorry!!)... as a note, he did a go to a strong undergrad university, had lots of medical experience/research/volunteering, and i'm almost positive great recs, so i'm going to guess that he was a strong applicant.

Columbia and Ben Guryan (sp?) have the program you're referring to. If you can't find info on Columbia's site, try Ben Guryan's -- it should be listed if you google "israel univeristy" or something like that.

Anyway, if I remeber what my friend who's starting there this fall said, you do your first couple years there but get to do rotations with columbia in NYC. The program in heavy on International Health. Graduates are pretty successful in securing US residencies, probably because of the partnership with Columbia.

Hope this helps!

bump. i'm thinking about a few of these programs. one big hesitation is i'm going to be married just before i start, and my future husband will just have gotten his JD and speaks no hebrew. anyone navigate those waters or anything similar? he would be moving with me where ever i go, but being jobless in a foreign country could be pretty crappy for him...

bump. i'm thinking about a few of these programs. one big hesitation is i'm going to be married just before i start, and my future husband will just have gotten his JD and speaks no hebrew. anyone navigate those waters or anything similar? he would be moving with me where ever i go, but being jobless in a foreign country could be pretty crappy for him...

Well, have you thought about going DO, doing an SMP and then reapplying? Redoing the MCAT?

Those are your best options. If hes going to be jobless and you are going to be studying you will be racking up a huge amount of debt with no income, what are you planning on doing to pay for that?

BTW, don't bump threads from the past, its really annoying because people read these threads may not notice the date and use outdated information. Your question absolutely did not need a bump, you could have just posted a new topic.