Overslept and Missed morning rounds...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRshooter

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Had one of the worst experiences of my life today. Waking up and seeing that it was 6:30am, and my team starts rounding at 5:30am sharp.
I thought I was having a mental breakdown at that moment...
I have never had such feeling of panic before in my life. I honestly gave serious thought to crashing my car so I'd have a valid excuse.
I showed up and the Chief was plenty pissed. But then he calmed down and told me that it has happend to almost everyone at one time or another and that the important thing is that during the rest of my residency...It NEVER happens again.
I'm buying 3 separate alarm clocks today and putting then all around my room.
Has anyone here had a similar thing happen?:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Had one of the worst experiences of my life today. Waking up and seeing that it was 6:30am, and my team starts rounding at 5:30am sharp.
I have never had such feeling of panic before in my life. I honestly gave serious thought to crashing my car so I'd have a valid excuse.
I showed up and the Chief was plenty pissed. But then he calmed down and told me that it has happend to almost everyone at one time or another and that the important thing is that during the rest of my residency...It NEVER happens again.

Dude cool down, everybody had. we are all human beings. My cheif resident is ALWAYS LATE, ALWAYS 20-30 minutes

I sympathize, its a sickening feeling when you realize you're late. And yes, we all have done it.

However, it is RIGHT of Chief residents to be late ;) I can count the number who weren't late (myself included) on 2 fingers. Everyone else was always late...I once waited 18 hrs in a month for my Chief on Vascular when I was an intern! :eek:

At any rate, it does happen, but your Chief is right - it should not happen again. Last year I had a few interns who were frequently late, sometimes as much as an hour...that is unacceptable. It is also unacceptable to show up a few minutes late for rounds with a fresh cup of Starbucks in your hand (that really got me steamed...and it was noticed!).

So do whatever you have to to get there on time from now on - or at least until you're the Chief and can start rounds whenever you like. Have someone call you everyday, use several alarm clocks, set your cell phone (which isn't power dependant) and pager to go off at a certain time, etc. I'm sure you'll be on time from now on.

well, first thing is... do you know WHY you overslept?

I sympathize, its a sickening feeling when you realize you're late. And yes, we all have done it.

However, it is RIGHT of Chief residents to be late ;) I can count the number who weren't late (myself included) on 2 fingers. Everyone else was always late...I once waited 18 hrs in a month for my Chief on Vascular when I was an intern! :eek:

At any rate, it does happen, but your Chief is right - it should not happen again. Last year I had a few interns who were frequently late, sometimes as much as an hour...that is unacceptable. It is also unacceptable to show up a few minutes late for rounds with a fresh cup of Starbucks in your hand (that really got me steamed...and it was noticed!).

So do whatever you have to to get there on time from now on - or at least until you're the Chief and can start rounds whenever you like. Have someone call you everyday, use several alarm clocks, set your cell phone (which isn't power dependant) and pager to go off at a certain time, etc. I'm sure you'll be on time from now on.

I agree you shouldn't be late and have food/coffee/(especially starbucks) haha . Theres only been a few times when I've been a LITTLE late (like 5 min.) and its because in the morning sometimes patients have more 'overnight' events that you didnt' expect. I usually keep 30 min extra for those things, but sometimes you can have even more than you expect haha.

As for the alarms, I generally wake up around that time I need to get up anyways, but I set my normal alarm and my cell phone. When i'm on call and (if I get an hour or two to relax) I set my pager too. The last thing I hate is having to rush in the AM.

Also I've been told a few times by attendings (not concerning me) but that its ok to have things come up every now and then, but when its a habit then its a problem.

Ok, I thinK everyone would agree that if you are an intern and you are late and you have a cup of starbucks in your hand, YOU BETTER HAVE MORE ON THE WAY FOR EVERYBODY ELSE.

I'M THINKING EXTRA CALL NIGHTS FOR THE ONE WHO DOES NOT.

On the other hand, if your just a sleepy intern, well we can forgive you for that. Some chiefs may give you a good spanking and make you say "thank you may I have another".:rolleyes: :eek: :sleep:

Here's how it went down...
I got out of the hospital really late last night and made it to bed at about midnight. I set my cell phone alarm like I always do, to wake me at 4am, but I forgot to turn the ringer on and left it on vibrate.
I woke up to find my cell phone on the floor vibrating...and I was an hour late.
Right now I'm on hepatobiliary surgery, the toughest service in the hospital, we round on about 25-30 patients in the morning and the hospital is huge...so we literally run from room to room.
They take morning rounds very serious because everybody must do their job or we run late...and then the chiefs get reamed...and you don't want that if you're an intern.
Anyway...this is the one service I didn't want this to happen on...but it happend and the higher ups gave me a break...this time.

I was on a surgery service where students pre-rounded really early -- around 4AM. I think that 1/2 the students overslept at some point during the six weeks. Late nights and early mornings are a set up for disaster. I have been on multiple teams during 3rd yr where a resident overslept as well. Don't worry it has happened to everyone. No resident will care if it happens just one time.

I got out of the hospital really late last night and made it to bed at about midnight. I set my cell phone alarm like I always do, to wake me at 4am, but I forgot to turn the ringer on and left it on vibrate.
I woke up to find my cell phone on the floor vibrating...and I was an hour late.
Right now I'm on hepatobiliary surgery, the toughest service in the hospital, we round on about 25-30 patients in the morning and the hospital is huge...so we literally run from room to room.
They take morning rounds very serious because everybody must do their job or we run late...and then the chiefs get reamed...and you don't want that if you're an intern.
Anyway...this is the one service I didn't want this to happen on...but it happend and the higher ups gave me a break...this time.

i u have a computer u leave on overnight, search for a program called citrus alarm clock. set the alarms. it'll ring every morning. only problem is that u may decide to close the program...hehe.

i use firefox extension "Foxytunes" as my alarm sometimes, which the alarm when it goes off plays ur designated song (i put on some G unit or other heavy rap to wake me up) :laugh:

I over slept a few times last year and when you take the train your about as screwed as you can get. If I'm really worried I'll set my alarm clock, cell and TV all to go off and it usually works. I still think sometimes our body just tells us we need more sleep and no matter what we end up sleeping in.

So do whatever you have to to get there on time from now on - or at least until you're the Chief

F*ck this. Its okay to be late if you're a chief AND you have a valid reason. Its also okay to be late if you're an intern and have a valid reason. This "I entered medical school 4 years before you so now I do what ever I want and you also do whatever I want" is bull****. People who dont stick up for themselves and allow this perpetuate the problem. If your chief is late all the time, start showing up however many minutes they are usually late. Let them know why. Its common curtesy, I don't make people wait for me if I can help it, they should extend the same respect to me.

well, first thing is... do you know WHY you overslept?

I find this hilarious for some reason--- he woke up at 6:30, without an alarm:sleep: That's hardly oversleeping.:eek: at least not in the "real world", in the world of surgery, yes

I don't know about everyone else but no matter how many mornings my alarm goes off at 4 or 4:30, I will likely never just naturally get up at that time :rolleyes:

F*ck this. Its okay to be late if you're a chief AND you have a valid reason. Its also okay to be late if you're an intern and have a valid reason. This "I entered medical school 4 years before you so now I do what ever I want and you also do whatever I want" is bull****. People who dont stick up for themselves and allow this perpetuate the problem. If your chief is late all the time, start showing up however many minutes they are usually late. Let them know why. Its common curtesy, I don't make people wait for me if I can help it, they should extend the same respect to me.

True, it is their right based on the hierarchy. But it is still rude and sets a bad example for the team if the leader shows up late.

Dude...I was JOKING - see the emoticon? Besides, if you'll read my post you'll see that I do NOT defend Chiefs being late anymore than I think its ok for interns to be late (without a good reason).

Ok, I thinK everyone would agree that if you are an intern and you are late and you have a cup of starbucks in your hand, YOU BETTER HAVE MORE ON THE WAY FOR EVERYBODY ELSE.

I'M THINKING EXTRA CALL NIGHTS FOR THE ONE WHO DOES NOT.

On the other hand, if your just a sleepy intern, well we can forgive you for that. Some chiefs may give you a good spanking and make you say "thank you may I have another".:rolleyes: :eek: :sleep:

yeah, it was wrong in so many ways. Everyone is late sometimes, and often its not because of an alarm clock or traffic issue but because you find something on exam, or the patient wasn't in his room, etc. I understand/understood those reasons; they happened to me too. But when the entire team doesn't show and then comes in with Starbucks, and none for me (as you rightly point out), it was a great sign of disrespect as far as I was concerned. I didn't care about getting the work done, I just thought it was really rude. Too bad I didn't have control over the call schedule as the Chief (done by the Administrative Chief in Surgery).

Rounds what's rounds. just kidding. you need to chill out and relax everyone is late, if you were up to midnight working it's completely valid. as a intern in medicine I would send our medstudents to bed all the time if they looked tired. I wouldn't even page them in the middle of the night if it was early in their third year and they weren't used to it. In ophtho I had one medstudent of about 40 take call with me and come in to see cases, and even round. boy i respect you real surgeons grinding it out 7 days a week. the chiefs in surgery in my internship only got one complete day off a month, no kidding. days off were considered leaving after rounds after being on call all night. It made me feel guilty to take 2 days off in the month, but i was the only intern on the team for a level one trauma center, and i admitted about 15 patients a day, and carried about 50 patients. sure i had one or two medstudents to help, but it was rough.

hahaha. you guys are all nuts.

come down to the ED and we'll show you some love.

Dude...I was JOKING - see the emoticon? Besides, if you'll read my post you'll see that I do NOT defend Chiefs being late anymore than I think its ok for interns to be late (without a good reason).

Damn, Im always stunned when people dont pick up on sarcasm on these boards and here I am looking the fool.

I saw it happen many times as a med student and intern- to some really, really solid residents who just happened to be tired. I also had a few attendings share their "wake up late" stories. (One missed his first M&M at a big academic center and he was on the schedule to present!!!!:eek: )

I never heard of it happening twice to the same person, though, thanks to fear and good old-fashioned embarrassment. It always happens on the service that is most intense (gyn onc, transplant, ct, trauma) because you are busting your a$$ and are dead tired.

Also, because you are sleep deprived (still, in spite of sleeping in this time;) ) you are far more sensitive than normal. In general, interns are far more sensitive to criticism because the newness of being a doctor. (Most) interns want to do well, want to do a good job, want to be liked (or at least not hated!) etc. Really, though, this year is about survival (yours and hopefully your patients':) )

There are some really great doctors out there who have overslept and missed rounds, so don't sweat it. Buy the back up alarm(s) and move on.:)

You know what? **** your Chief. I second the motion that we are all only human and occasionallly we are late. Sounds like this was a one-time event for which an excuse or an apology should not be required. You over-slept. Your fellow interns should cover for you like you'd do for them if they had an odd bad day. In the next three years you might conceivably be late again.

Hospitals are not the military. What are they going to do? Have a courts-martial? Confine you to the hospital? Dock an hours pay (that $5.13 is really going to hurt)?

You have hit a pet peeve of mine which is people acting like tyrants by virtue of having a few more years experience. I was a Sergeant in the Marines with many, many more people under me than a typical chief resident and I never came close to treating people with the level of disrespect I have seen in medical school and residency.

You should have went into path where you don't really need to be in until 9 or 930 if you got your cases written up the night before, even on the busiest services. And then on the light ones, some days you don't even need to come in at all (and it doesn't count as vacation).

Lets all be late, meet me at the starbucks on 5th avenue.

LOL, we will all give the chief the finger and raise our cups to victory over the system. viva la dolche and gabanna. (spelling?)

Hell, lets bring the chief in on it. Lets make the hospital buy us starbucks coffee.

NO STARBUCKS COFFEE, NO ROUNDING.
:laugh: :scared: :eek: :D

You have hit a pet peeve of mine which is people acting like tyrants by virtue of having a few more years experience. I was a Sergeant in the Marines with many, many more people under me than a typical chief resident and I never came close to treating people with the level of disrespect I have seen in medical school and residency.

:thumbup:

I think this marine guy is going to kick his chiefs butt. :scared:

Just kidding. Don't kick mine. lol:eek:

I'm going to bed now, so I won't be late.:sleep:

You guys should work in UK! I strolled in late 15-20 minutes each day for 6 months! There is no chief. Either I start the rounds myself, or I hook up with the registrars who have already started the rounds, but they are chilled out!

And whats with the 5.30am start! Nothing here starts til 8am (thats for Surgoens) and 9am for physicians! Why so early? Your patients will be sleeping anyhoo :cool: :cool:

I think this marine guy is going to kick his chiefs butt. :scared:

Just kidding. Don't kick mine. lol:eek:

I'm going to bed now, so I won't be late.:sleep:

Nah, I'm pretty level-headed and I have never been late for anything in four years of medical school and a year of residency...but I'd like to think that if for some reason I happened to be late once I wouldn't get a ration of **** about it by some dickhead who was drunk with the power of being a third year resident.

Hey, last year I had a third year resident over me who used to threaten me with a bad evaluation if I didn't act more enthusiastic. No specific complaint, you understand, just that I wasn't thrilled to start "chief rounds" at 6 PM on a non-call night. I also was pretty adamant about getting out at 1 PM post call and had to threaten to report her if she kept me past that time. All the other teams got out on time, you understand, they even had a day float to help the post-call team get their work done. The resident was just too anal about everything and would agonize over every decision.

Call with her was a nightmare. Admitting a patient took hours. I used to fantasize about shooting myself in the head as she asked the patient with rectal bleeding about his level of education, colleges attendended, and other fun but not exactly useful information.

Then we had to come up with an exhaustive differential diagnosis and order tests to rule out the unicorns. (You know, because you will occasionally see a zebra.) She has something of a reputation with her program for being unable to handle continuity clinic where even medicine residents have to focus a little.

You guys should work in UK! I strolled in late 15-20 minutes each day for 6 months! There is no chief. Either I start the rounds myself, or I hook up with the registrars who have already started the rounds, but they are chilled out!

And whats with the 5.30am start! Nothing here starts til 8am (thats for Surgoens) and 9am for physicians! Why so early? Your patients will be sleeping anyhoo :cool: :cool:

Good Lord. I have often asked this question. What exactly is the goddamn hurry to get in? In every rotation I have done except for Emergency Medicince there is a lot of dead or slow time during the day. At least an hour or two even on a busy service and four or five hours on the not so busy ones. Is it absolutely necessary to get up with dairy farmers?

At my new hospital they are a good deal more rational about these things than at Duke. I just finished a PICU rotation where the attending rounded at 9:30 AM. This meant that I generally didn't need to get in before 7:30 to see my patients, evaluate the plan, and write new notes and orders.

At Duke they'd want to round at 7:30...or earlier.

You know, it's just a job. I like it, of course, but why do we have to kill ourselves for it?

Good Lord. I have often asked this question. What exactly is the goddamn hurry to get in? In every rotation I have done except for Emergency Medicince there is a lot of dead or slow time during the day. At least an hour or two even on a busy service and four or five hours on the not so busy ones. Is it absolutely necessary to get up with dairy farmers?

At my new hospital they are a good deal more rational about these things than at Duke. I just finished a PICU rotation where the attending rounded at 9:30 AM. This meant that I generally didn't need to get in before 7:30 to see my patients, evaluate the plan, and write new notes and orders.

At Duke they'd want to round at 7:30...or earlier.

You know, it's just a job. I like it, of course, but why do we have to kill ourselves for it?

I agree, we generally start im rounds at 8-8:30, but as interns you have to get pretty early especially if you have many complicated patients. The only reason I see a benefit to starting this early is so that we can finish rounds by 10:30-11:00 (before our noon conference) and so we can get patients discharged early in the day so that the hospital is ready for another day of admissions haha. But thats the only benefit, and sometimes I dont even get that chance because we finish rounds at 11:50 and I have 10 minutes to run around like a chicken with its head cut off and then have to come back and finish up discharging/new labs at 1:30pm. A lot of times we have clinic in the afternoons or are post call, so we end up giving it to the team that is in the hospital that day to finish up discharging folks and doing procedures (lp's, lines, whatever else).

so after that, I still agree we could start a little later and not have to wake the patient up at 5:30 in the morning haha. And we do have some downtime in the middle of the day, but its very dependent on whether you are the one on call admitting or you are just working on patient workups/procedures.

and i'm glad i'm going to be in the ED next year! (and next month by the way)

I found that telling the attending you are late because you fell asleep driving in usually gets you off the hook!:sleep: :thumbdown:

Yep. But as a Pathology resident, the time was an insane 9:30am, Transfusion rounds. I completely missed it as I had been out til 3am partying the night before. Luckily, my attending didnt show up either. I strolled in just before noon, wearing my clothes from the night before and still beat the rest of the team...:laugh:

You should have went into path where you don't really need to be in until 9 or 930 if you got your cases written up the night before, even on the busiest services. And then on the light ones, some days you don't even need to come in at all (and it doesn't count as vacation).

I was sent out by a Chief of a Lab Section to find a path fellow that hadnt been seen at work in get this...a week solid, total no-show. I needed to get some paperwork from him, so I got in my car and drove around, he wasnt at his apartment but he was at the Starbucks across the street chatting up some hottie barista, claimed it was a "reading rotation." Had to give him props on the sheer boldness aspect of it.

True story.

I got out of the hospital really late last night and made it to bed at about midnight. I set my cell phone alarm like I always do, to wake me at 4am

If you are actually an intern and not a medical student (forgive me, I don't know you) then if you left the hospital at midnight, you are note allowed to come in until 10 am. ACGME rules require 10 hours off between shifts. So your chief really should have sent you home.

That begin said, perhaps you are in one of those programs that believes the rules are optional. Of course, everybody is late now and again. I wouldn't fret too much about it.

Ed

i had a very similar experience as a medstudent in my 3rd year gsurg rotation, but i didn't explain my self because i didn't give a crap and hence the horrible eval but whatever, i'm not going into surgery so i could care less...yeah it happens to everyone, but if u could care less like me then u might be in trouble

ahh...i'm reminded of why "morning rounds" suck!!! glad i never have to do that rubbish again! :D

follow LAdoc00's story......a pleasant world we are in eh? 1st year residency...i report at about 9am on my non-grossing days. why? because no one is there before 9! lovely.

Lets all be late, meet me at the starbucks on 5th avenue.

LOL, we will all give the chief the finger and raise our cups to victory over the system. viva la dolche and gabanna. (spelling?)

Hell, lets bring the chief in on it. Lets make the hospital buy us starbucks coffee.

NO STARBUCKS COFFEE, NO ROUNDING.
:laugh: :scared: :eek: :D

Rubbing it in are ya? Well, in that case, I'd like a Vanilla Chai with some cinnamon sprinkles please. I'll meet you there. :D

I was a Sergeant in the Marines with many, many more people under me than a typical chief resident and I never came close to treating people with the level of disrespect I have seen in medical school and residency.

Its the type A personalities complexed with the long hours and the often immaturity of people in medicine (its actually in the literature; medical students and resident physicians are seen as less emotionally mature and comfortable in social situations than others of their age in non-medical fields).

Many medical students and residents have never worked in the "real world" and learned crisis management or simply how to deal with other people when things are stressful. I was appalled when I first started working with residents (before medical school); now that I understand it, that's enough for me.

It may not be for some fields, but for surgical ones, you need to have the patients seen before going to the OR at 0700 or 0730, and that can mean starting rounds at 0530, especially on a busy service.

The days are just too busy to try and see patients haphazardly throughout the day - besides its been 12 hrs or more since you last saw them, a lot can happen. But then that's tradition, which dies hard in surgery.

If you don't have anywhere pressing to be at 0700, sure...why start rounds so early?

Could you list some references on that? Or at least point me in the right direction? I tried looking on Pubmed and Google, but I haven't taken psych yet so I don't what the official lingo would be.

Thanks!

-X

Its the type A personalities complexed with the long hours and the often immaturity of people in medicine (its actually in the literature; medical students and resident physicians are seen as less emotionally mature and comfortable in social situations than others of their age in non-medical fields).

You surgeons must really love the OR to get up at 4 am every day. 5:30 is the earliest I've ever gotten up for Peds and even that's really not something I could do on a daily basis for 5 years!

DR, what you've actually described is a violation of RRC rules (less than 10 hours between work shifts) and the not-unexpecte outcome of that. The amount of time-wasting bull**** I've seen on surgical services has always been far in excess of anything I've seen on medicine, including BID rounding to death and A LOT of sitting around bitching about how busy they were. The culture of "you will be a bad surgeon if you don't work 120 hours a week and lie to ACGME about your hours" needs to be taken out to pasture, along with every old-school attending.

You know what? **** your Chief. I second the motion that we are all only human and occasionallly we are late. Sounds like this was a one-time event for which an excuse or an apology should not be required. You over-slept. Your fellow interns should cover for you like you'd do for them if they had an odd bad day. In the next three years you might conceivably be late again.

Hospitals are not the military. What are they going to do? Have a courts-martial? Confine you to the hospital? Dock an hours pay (that $5.13 is really going to hurt)?

You and I see eye to eye on a lot of stuff man.

<3

My last year of Emergency Medicine Residency, I could have sworn I had a particular day off. So, not only did I not set the alarm the night before, I even turned my phone off so I wouldn't be interrupted the next morning. It wasnt until 3:30p that I realized I was supposed to work from 7a to 7p...my fellow resident who was on call was pissed, but he got over it. It was embarrassing at first, but now we all laugh about it.

If you are late once or twice, people tend to forgive you. But if that's your M.O., then its very unprofessional.

It's a perfectly valid reason to be late.

:cool:

Many medical students and residents have never worked in the "real world" and learned crisis management or simply how to deal with other people when things are stressful. I was appalled when I first started working with residents (before medical school); now that I understand it, that's enough for me.

KC, you have hit the nail dead center in the head and split it down the middle.

I rounded with a complete jackass who, in another life would have been a schoolyard bully, and most likely was in grade school, judging by his behavior. Before I rounded with him I watched his abuse with each successive team. Then it was my turn. That hospital was one of those that not only thought the "rules are optional, the needs of the hospital are above the rules," but publically stated it.

On one of the two days I had off that month, a good friend of mine invited me to his cabin on the lake and after work, we went while I slept. Unforecast thunderstorms delayed my return for several hours (I planned to leave at 3:30 for the hour trip) and I arrived at the hospital at 6:30. I had my buddy call the hospital at 6 to let the donkey's backside know I was going to be late.

Common courtesy, I thought. Instead I got the browbeating of a lifetime. I found out later that on this service with this attending, that the normal signout time was 7:30 on Sundays, instead of 6 as is the case during the week, so I was, in fact, an hour early for rounding, and not late at all.

If I hadn't had my buddy call the dick, nothing would have transpired. So, sleep in good buddy, since even if you come in early with one of the above described personalities personality disorders masquerading as a senior resident you are screwed.

So, in the same vein as KC wrote: never call in late, they might not notice, courtesy as an intern will only get you screwed, screw your fellow intern before they screw you and play dumb when you can get away with it.:smuggrin: :smuggrin: :cool: And remember that you will eventually leave Lucifer's Palace and the myriad of personality disorders in authority.

PB, you are 100% correct. When you wanna get a brew with me?

As for getting up early in the AM, two alarms help, but the cerebellum will eventually reroute auditory pathways to bypass the cortex and directly connect to the brainstem which will cause you to get up, find the annoying noisemakers and silence them and return to bed while still in REM sleep. I think the reprogramming of the neural pathways may occur more quickly with acetylcholine depletion of chronic and acute on chronic sleep deprivation. Alternatively, alarm clocks and pagers have been reported to have been found several miles from the bedroom window without apparent explanation.:confused: :confused:

So, I use a very bright quartz halogen lamp on a timer to simulate sunrise. I have two. One lights up at 15 minutes before the three alarms go off, the second at 1 minute before. Visual light stimulation is harder to ignore than sound. Personally I think it is less annoying than irritating alarm clocks.

It may not be for some fields, but for surgical ones, you need to have the patients seen before going to the OR at 0700 or 0730, and that can mean starting rounds at 0530, especially on a busy service.

The days are just too busy to try and see patients haphazardly throughout the day - besides its been 12 hrs or more since you last saw them, a lot can happen. But then that's tradition, which dies hard in surgery.

If you don't have anywhere pressing to be at 0700, sure...why start rounds so early?

I heard this justification. I used to agree with it. But, they've been closely followed in PACU, we see them after they've been settled on the floor before we go home at 7 - 10 PM, and at our institution anyway, it takes 30-40 minutes to turn an OR. Some of this time, we eat. Even on a busy service, there are gaps in the OR schedules, so a little scheduling adjustment might make a more reasonable day feasible. One of the best gyn-oncs I've worked with flat out refused to round at 6 AM. His opinion: if something bad happens, they call. If nothing bad happens, they call. If something good happens, they call. So, we round at 10, and we don't board any cases in the OR between 10 and noon. That way if the first case runs over we have some flexibility and we still have time to round and eat. We managed 18-30 patients this way for months without missing anything.

One of the biggest motivators is mainly hospital turnover efficiency. The hospitals want the dischargeable patients discharged before 10 AM so they can give the patients the boot as quickly as possible so they can refill the bed with another ICD9 code and reap the rewards.

DR, what you've actually described is a violation of RRC rules (less than 10 hours between work shifts)

...its not actually a RULE (ie, 10 hrs between work periods) but rather a RECOMMENDATION for ADEQUATE rest by the RRC. Whatever that means...I'm sort of a 5 hrs a night of sleep gal, when I have friends who are exhausted if they don't sleep for 8 or 9 hrs a night.

...its not actually a RULE (ie, 10 hrs between work periods) but rather a RECOMMENDATION for ADEQUATE rest by the RRC. Whatever that means...I'm sort of a 5 hrs a night of sleep gal, when I have friends who are exhausted if they don't sleep for 8 or 9 hrs a night.

According to the ACGME common program requirements VI B 4:

"Adequate time for rest and personal activities must be provided. This
should consist of a 10-hour time period provided between all daily duty
periods and after in-house call."

According to our program director, the "should" has been interpreted by the ACGME/RRC as "must".

Ed