***Oversupply of Pharmacists***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ah i see. so you are definitely a troll. i guess the poor grammar should have given it away.

in your first post, you said:
2. A lot of pharmacists are relocating due to job loss, including me.
you say you are still working but the above says otherwise.

then you say:
My pharmacy department just let one of the best pharmacists gone because of our hospital tight budget.
which implies that you are still working

----
make up your damn mind when lying, sheesh! oh yeah, if u are really a pharmacist, you should take one for the team and ask to be fired instead of one of your best pharmacists. you're relocating anyway, right?

Members don't see this ad.

I am just pointing out the facts we're facing right now in the pharmacy profession, and it's going to get worse. These pre-pharms, who have never looked for a job, have absolutely no clue how frustrating it is when it comes to job seeking, especially when these jobs are becoming fewer and fewer everyday. The worst part is, you know that you have a monthly loan payment due every month along with money to survive.

My pharmacy department just let one of our best pharmacists go because of the hospitals tight budget.

It's sad, but many do not realize and still think this is a joke.:(
Okay fixed this the best I could. Hopefully, it makes a bit more sense.

:smuggrin: Oh good you noticed this too. I was going to mention it, but I didn't want to seem to critical. It also bothers me how OP uses "u" in other replies.:wtf:

I'm probably about a decade or so younger than the OP claims to be and even people my age don't use "i" and "u". This doesn't add up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you watch the Other Guys yet? You'll love cocaine even more Mr. Bear

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tip.

Dropping out of uop right now in favor of becoming a cook at taco bell, i hear that's not saturated at all.

As a matter of fact, quizno's down the street is hiring.

Thanks for saving my life, Zwipes.

I 've been a pharmacist in practice for 25 years and i have been reading this forum for a month or so. Realizing that our pharmacy profession is going in a wrong direction, i decided to write this thread for everyone, especially the pre-pharms , to inform you guys what is going on out there, and the future of our pharmacy profession.

FACTS:

1. Most new grads are struggling to find jobs in most areas . I repeat "most areas" right now.
2. A lot of pharmacists are relocating due to job loss, including me.
3. More and more graduates will make the supply way > demand.
4. More job loss due to hospital inability to make profits (medicaid cut, low reimbursement.
5. More job loss due to corp/business/chains are losing profits due to a slow economy.
6. More and more pharmacist (including me) will delay retirement and try to get more hours to cover for family members' job loss, etc...
7. Pharmacy Students Tuition increases annually across the country.
8. Undesired locations (such as Fresno, Bakersfiled) are getting more and more saturated every day.
9. Some pharmacists (including my fellow friends) who lost their jobs since 2009 and still could not find anything out there yet.

CONCLUSION

1. Supply > demand and will continue to.
2. Job loss in future...more laid offs coming if hospital/chains don't make profit enough.
3. Understaffed
4. Students graduate with no jobs + big student loan debts
5. Lots of students will do another career change (most likely into medicine, or PA route).
6. Jobs in hard-to-staff areas is drying up more and more.

My solution: Move to Canada except Ontario

My solution: Move to Canada except Ontario

BC is about to do the same thing Ontario did to reimbursement. Alberta to follow. The other provinces probably soon after that. I'd recommend getting on that immigration thing ASAP -- for real.

I know about a dozen unemployed or severely underemployed (a floater in Philly that gets 8 hours a week - yippee!) pharmacists. The good old days are just that.

I know saying to yourself that its going to get better is comforting...but looking at the stark reality that I see before me, it doesn't look very encouraging for y'all down the road.

Shame on you guys for this fear mongering. No amount of warnings/rants/hysteria is going to change a thing regarding the number of pharmacy school graduates, which, is what I suspect some of you are concerned with. Pharmacy schools, as long as they are operating, will always fill their seats because no matter what, there will always be more applicants than spaces.

The only thing pharmacists and pharmacy students can control at this point is the quality of students admitted and graduating in the next few years. All this hysteria will only drive away the bright and ambitious applicants, leaving only the mediocre ones to attend pharmacy school and carry on the profession. Do you really want that down the road? Wouldnt you rather have competent and passionate people going into pharmacy, people who will really stand up for the profession and demonstrate the high ethical standards expected from a pharmacist?

We already know the profession is under attack from the government, corporations, public opinion, etc..If you feel the profession is worth protecting dont you want the best people to be the future face of pharmacy?

I`m sorry, as a hopeful future pharmacist I`m astounded by the amount of negativity some of you have on here. If you really hate your job then just quit, but don`t come on here and needlessly scare pre-pharms who genuinely want to get into the profession.

sup guyz im 50 yrs old and pharmacy SUCKS! I hope you dont mind if i write this in bold BECASUE ITS IMPORTANTS! Go away! So many pharmacists and no jobs forrelz! have you herd of supply and demand? when supply is > demand, NO MOAR JOBS!

Anyone else feel like they're watching an episode of Scooby Doo? "This castle is hauuuuunted... I'm a ghoooooost... go away! ... Now nobody else will find the hidden treasure in the castle but me! Teeheheheehehehee"

21190.gif

Okay since OP is now banned, can we close this thread or merge it with Sky is falling thread?

Members don't see this ad :)
I`m sorry, as a hopeful future pharmacist I`m astounded by the amount of negativity some of you have on here. If you really hate your job then just quit, but don`t come on here and needlessly scare pre-pharms who genuinely want to get into the profession.

Yeah, I suppose that if I wasn't unemployed for the last 6 months, I'd have a rosier disposition. What am I thinking? :rolleyes:

The real answer is: America is a dying country. In the near future, China will be taking over all of the bank owned properties as payment for the debts our government has incurred. We will all be slaves to the red flag of China because of our $150,000 student loans. This has already been planned. Head for the hills.

The real answer is: America is a dying country. In the near future, China will be taking over all of the bank owned properties as payment for the debts our government has incurred. We will all be slaves to the red flag of China because of our $150,000 student loans. This has already been planned. Head for the hills.

Glad I've got lots of family in countries elsewhere!

I went to an interview in Wheeling, WV yesterday. Woman told me she had over a dozen interview. For Wheeling. It's one of the most depressed areas you can imagine. Middle of nowhere rust belt (I'd live there, though...cheap as hell). That many people interviewing. 4 years ago, she'd have hired me on the spot and offered me a $15k bonus if I even implied that I was even thinking about working there.

It's amazing how FAST the market died for us.

I went to an interview in Wheeling, WV yesterday. Woman told me she had over a dozen interview. For Wheeling. It's one of the most depressed areas you can imagine. Middle of nowhere rust belt (I'd live there, though...cheap as hell). That many people interviewing. 4 years ago, she'd have hired me on the spot and offered me a $15k bonus if I even implied that I was even thinking about working there.

It's amazing how FAST the market died for us.

I crossed my fingers for you, bro...u've been pretty hardcore on SDN here...and i like you (not in a gay way, though...lol)

So if someone speaks the truth about how difficult it is to get a job NOW as opposed to 5 years ago they risk being banned? Then ban me for I WILL NOT lie! Grads 5 years ago had their choice of jobs. That IS NOT the case now. I guess the admins of this board believe in censorship.

I have to say though, this made my night at work fly by! lots of laughs :laugh:

So if someone speaks the truth about how difficult it is to get a job NOW as opposed to 5 years ago they risk being banned? Then ban me for I WILL NOT lie! Grads 5 years ago had their choice of jobs. That IS NOT the case now. I guess the admins of this board believe in censorship.

Wasn't the original OP of this thread that was banned. It was the OP of another thread which was merged with this one in which the OP was acting as a troll

Wasn't the original OP of this thread that was banned. It was the OP of another thread which was merged with this one in which the OP was acting as a troll

that plus the clowns that come on here thinking this **** is breaking news and start a new thread when there are already 4-5 active threads on the topic at a time.

where's the so called "freedom of speech"???

1st amendment rights need not extend to privately owned and operated message boards, video games, etc. EULA and such controls that.

If I scream "I HATE [n-word people]" outside, I can do that. If I do that here, I'mma get banned.

Don't be obtuse.

84355_512x288_generated__kWkZOVkyqUSR0kntoghc9g.jpg

We did have a Walgreens speaker at my school today to talk about saturation in the market, etc. Someone should have asked him about Power!

care to elaborate on what he said?

None of the chains that tabled at our "potential employer" fair are hiring interns (Walmart, Target, CVS, Walgreens, and I cannot remember who else) right now- hiring freeze.

None of the chains that tabled at our "potential employer" fair are hiring interns (Walmart, Target, CVS, Walgreens, and I cannot remember who else) right now- hiring freeze.

same at my school. i applied to all walgreens in a 40 mile radius and got an email back days later saying none of them are hiring.

My 2 hour commute to Phoenix every weekend is totally worth it. When people give me that look like "really? you drive 100 miles to and from Phoenix every weekend to work?" I think to myself, "Damn right. Twenty bucks an hour + 4K a year in tuition reimbursement + health benefits + damn good LORs at the end of 4 years from one of the best hospitals in the nation >>>>>>> begging for a job at any of those chains." A little coffee and some good classic rock and my drive is cake :)

My 2 hour commute to Phoenix every weekend is totally worth it. When people give me that look like "really? you drive 100 miles to and from Phoenix every weekend to work?" I think to myself, "Damn right. Twenty bucks an hour + 4K a year in tuition reimbursement + health benefits + damn good LORs at the end of 4 years from one of the best hospitals in the nation >>>>>>> begging for a job at any of those chains." A little coffee and some good classic rock and my drive is cake :)

I love this attitude!!!

Wow, that is a good attitude, but at the same time you have it good :thumbup:

same at my school. i applied to all walgreens in a 40 mile radius and got an email back days later saying none of them are hiring.

Hiring freeze here... except that I was hired by Walgreens.

Hiring freeze just means they are not increasing the number of employees. There's jobs out there, persistence pays

that sounds like an awesome job and i would definitely drive 100 miles to work there. have you worked there awhile? hospital jobs are extremely hard to come by in gainesville and retail is about as bad now. there was a tech position opened at a local hospital but my friend (who is a pharmacist there) recommended against it because the job was more of just a tech job as opposed to an internship. i think i'll be ok with my research position and trying to find a retail internship on the weekends. something will turn up eventually, especially if i apply every month (hopefully publix :luck:)

that sounds like an awesome job and i would definitely drive 100 miles to work there. have you worked there awhile? hospital jobs are extremely hard to come by in gainesville and retail is about as bad now. there was a tech position opened at a local hospital but my friend (who is a pharmacist there) recommended against it because the job was more of just a tech job as opposed to an internship. i think i'll be ok with my research position and trying to find a retail internship on the weekends. something will turn up eventually, especially if i apply every month (hopefully publix :luck:)

I would have taken the hospital job. From what I have been told, hospital experience is going to be almost essential for getting a hospital pharmacist position. It also gives the competitive edge for residencies.

I have a tech job too but I make IVs, do chemo, compound, etc. and these are all things you learn about in pharmacy school.

I would have taken the hospital job. From what I have been told, hospital experience is going to be almost essential for getting a hospital pharmacist position. It also gives the competitive edge for residencies.

I have a tech job too but I make IVs, do chemo, compound, etc. and these are all things you learn about in pharmacy school.

that's true to some degree. but i'd think a major research intensive academic hospital would eat up an applicant that has 5-6 publications and retail experience over someone with just hospital experience. you get decent hospital exposure on rotations and if you impress your preceptor and he ends up writing you a LOR i think it'd definitely help with the lack of hospital experience because it's showing you're capable of performing. if you haven't done research before and you pickup a research rotation there is no way you'd get a publication in that short amount of time.