***Oversupply of Pharmacists***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can sing all her stuff plus Paula Abdul's greatest hits. I also know the dance moves to Janet Jackson's song "If".

But I'm a guy.

Members don't see this ad.

Like a sururururgeon, cutting for the very first time. Like a sururur er... nm that's not Madonna that's Weird Al. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you kidding? I played that CD so much that I played it into a non-functional condition and had to buy a new one. It's right next to my Paula Abdul's Greatest Hits.

Not a big Paula Abdul fan here, I do own a copy of The Immaculate Collection though. Live to Tell still brings back teenage memories... and reminds me of why I like redheads...

What about "Amish Paradise"?

Sci: And the "but I'm a guy" **** doesn't work with me. You know that.

Yeah but Like a Surgeon was from a song on one of the aforementioned albums. Amish Paradise is one of the best music videos of all time though...

Bah, yer still a girly girl...

What about "Amish Paradise"?

Sci: And the "but I'm a guy" **** doesn't work with me. You know that.

it should, though. Like how URMs get a boost for school admissions because they had to overcome adversity to do the same thing we all do without problems (lol), I had to overcome similar adversity in order to practice my Madonna singing.

it should, though. Like how URMs get a boost for school admissions because they had to overcome adversity to do the same thing we all do without problems (lol), I had to overcome similar adversity in order to practice my Madonna singing.

You're in california. I doubt you overcame adversity to sing Madonna just because you have a penis between your legs. BWAHAHA

Hey sometimes having girly stuff can be an advantage - I mean, In a combat arms unit what's the one way you can leave your lunchbag lying around and not have it stolen... Get the most girly - pink lunch bag you can find...

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to an interview in Wheeling, WV yesterday. Woman told me she had over a dozen interview. For Wheeling. It's one of the most depressed areas you can imagine. Middle of nowhere rust belt (I'd live there, though...cheap as hell). That many people interviewing. 4 years ago, she'd have hired me on the spot and offered me a $15k bonus if I even implied that I was even thinking about working there.

It's amazing how FAST the market died for us.

Try your search in Oklahoma and Texas...

Try your search in Oklahoma and Texas...

I keep going to interviews. And each interview they tell me they are looking at 10, 15, 20 applicants. All with resumes boasting 10+ years of experience. It's not like I'm going up against new grads. I got to the final two one time. Not getting that job felt like it broke my back. I have one more hail mary attempt left in me coming up soon. Then...**** it, I'm moving to South Texas...I guess...I'm told one can find a job down in that mystical land...just like I was told that I'd always have a job anywhere in the country back when I started school. Now there are no jobs anywhere within a 500 mile radius of where I live and I'm considering, out of necessity, moving somewhere with an active and lively international drug war going on.

Yay, pharmacy job market! :thumbup:

If any of you get a conditional job offer while in school...take it and run.

I keep going to interviews. And each interview they tell me they are looking at 10, 15, 20 applicants. All with resumes boasting 10+ years of experience. It's not like I'm going up against new grads. I got to the final two one time. Not getting that job felt like it broke my back. I have one more hail mary attempt left in me coming up soon. Then...**** it, I'm moving to South Texas...I guess...I'm told one can find a job down in that mystical land...just like I was told that I'd always have a job anywhere in the country back when I started school. Now there are no jobs anywhere within a 500 mile radius of where I live and I'm considering, out of necessity, moving somewhere with an active and lively international drug war going on.

Yay, pharmacy job market! :thumbup:

If any of you get a conditional job offer while in school...take it and run.

Thought you were gonna consider retail before you bit it and moved somewhere like that.

I saw the biggest loser of a pharmacist at CVS last night. I thought to myself, "Someone better deserves this job." He was probably younger than me, was smacking his gum so much you could see what color it was, and looked like he had not shaved in about 3 days. He looked disheveled, had pieces of potato chips on his coat, and had horrible counseling skills, not to mention he didn't even mention how to use the medication or anything. My gf and I were like, "Wtf?!". The technician was more professional and friendly than him. Mind you, this CVS is NOT a busy store.

I saw the biggest loser of a pharmacist at CVS last night. I thought to myself, "Someone better deserves this job." He was probably younger than me, was smacking his gum so much you could see what color it was, and looked like he had not shaved in about 3 days. He looked disheveled, had pieces of potato chips on his coat, and had horrible counseling skills, not to mention he didn't even mention how to use the medication or anything. My gf and I were like, "Wtf?!". The technician was more professional and friendly than him. Mind you, this CVS is NOT a busy store.

That sounds like me right now on my couch.

Recruiters have been calling like crazy for jobs in rural Iglooville. I finally told them to please stop calling.

if you're in California, I could actually hook you up with some jobs right now...but the locations are kinda sucky, though...

I work as a tech at CVS in socal and the job market couldn't be worst :(
back then I used to work 11-7 on sat, now they're cut back to 12-6 (CVS changed closing times due to recession). I haven't seen a intern for 2 years so far, and I haven't seen a new hire for at least 10 months. Also My friend who recently graduated from Western couldn't find a position to work in socal, she told me mostly the boonies were open, with a lot of inquires. So she finally settled at this Korean Pharmacy for now.

On top of that my friend as a fresh RN graduate from Long Beach couldn't find a new graduate program to accept him, let alone the applicants were 1,200 out of 200 open positions.

How is it like at other places?:confused:

back then I used to work 11-7 on sat, now they're cut back to 12-6 (CVS changed closing times due to recession). I haven't seen a intern for 2 years so far, and I haven't seen a new hire for at least 10 months. Also My friend who recently graduated from Western couldn't find a position to work in socal, she told me mostly the boonies were open, with a lot of inquires. So she finally settled at this Korean Pharmacy for now.

On top of that my friend as a fresh RN graduate from Long Beach couldn't find a new graduate program to accept him, let alone the applicants were 1,200 out of 200 open positions.

Your friend is a fresh RN (registered nurse) and couldn't find a graduate program to except him? you mean a job?

Your friend is a fresh RN (registered nurse) and couldn't find a graduate program to except him? you mean a job?

Probably means a new graduate hire/orientation program. Hospitals used to have a lot of openings for new grads which set them up with a mentor, lighter patient loads to start with, that kind of thing. Now new grads are happy just to get a job, forget the new grad orientation programs.

Adma826 is correct. Without any hospital to hire you for a new graduate program as a RN it's hopeless. For now, the best thing to do for a possible job after school is to expand ur network while in school. And once you find that someone in power, kiss alot of ass.

I just got hired at CVS as a pharmacy technician and my store is incredibly busy. They just hired someone else a few days after hiring me. I went in there today for the pharmacist to show me around and fill out paperwork and there were two pharmacists and three techs there and they were talking about calling another person in for help.

I spoke with the pharmacist and he said if he was in my shoes, he would still continue pursuing pharmacy as a career. "Honestly?" I said, "Yes, definitely" he replied.

I think someone needs to make a Pharmacy TV show. Do we have any Hollywood connections?

Maybe we can start up a pharmacy wagon business...just travel all over the country in a motor home and bring our pharmacy to their front door.

I feel reminded of Glen Martin DDS....

I didn't see this post until now. Very interesting

MTG-ThreadNecromancer_3198.jpg

Couldn't help it. I loved this image when I found it.

Man, what you know about MTG....I used to dominate back in the day. Had the blue deck full of counters...

I'll tell you what I know.

Mountain (1R) ---> Black Lotus (3G) ---> Channel with 2G, leaving 1G floating for colorless, tap R for Fireball activation energy, Channel 1 colorless + 19 life = 20 to the dome.

I never had a Mox Ruby so I had to get a Mtn. More reliable that way regardless.

Didn't have to worry about Force of Will until Legends (Or.. was it Alliances?) woot woot :D After Alliances/Legends, though... that was a very risky move because they toss a card, cs your 19 life fb, and then use a prick like Son to kill you, and laugh maniacally. Good. Times.

MtG C/O 1993.

Not as old school, played when it was Onslaught. You were considered an evil person with Astral slide and Exalted angel. After that it was GG.

RG madness was the deck I used. Turn 2 Wild mongrel. Discard anger + 3 rootwallas and swing for 8. Next turn dead.

I'm pharmacy bound, but I have talked to a few of my pharmacist friends regarding the situation. They say, its going to get tougher, and the promises that many schools give out regarding job market/stability/money are false. That being said, the newer graduates will most likely have to do residency or be more competitive with the influx of pharmacy graduates.

It doesn't scare me, because I'm willing to do "more." However, I've met alot of pre-pharms who still think they can get by in pharm school and go get a job asap making 100k in 3 years. I don't think that dream will be there in the upcoming years. In fact, I think salary and benefits will most likely regress. Diploma mills are also here to stay. Everywhere you apply to, the schools all say that you'll make 100k etc etc. Lower law schools never went away and they charge an arm and leg to and because of it, the law outlook, today, is very grim. Graduates getting no jobs etc.

Anyways, I hope something is done in the future. Perhaps limit the growth of pharmacy schools opening or perhaps raise the standards. There are definately some competitive pharmacy schools out there..., but there are some schools that have very low standards. I mean no PCATS, no BACHELORS, no upper div bios etc, very low standard gpa <3.0. There needs to be standards. You don't see that with dental school or medical school. Very rarily do you see people with no Bachelor's get in or below a 3.0 get in. Most have around the standard of 3.5 and have to take MCAT/DAT.

If nothing gets enforced, we will end up with more diploma mills, and hey, bye bye pharmacy. Oh well, its nice to know whats coming up. I'll definately be doing residency and trying to do something other than retail. GL with everyone!

Not as old school, played when it was Onslaught. You were considered an evil person with Astral slide and Exalted angel. After that it was GG.

RG madness was the deck I used. Turn 2 Wild mongrel. Discard anger + 3 rootwallas and swing for 8. Next turn dead.

I stopped playing when Tempest / Stronghold was the "big thing" :X

I graduated pharmacy school in 2008 and worked as a pharmacist for only 6 months. Since then, I have been looking for a job. Moving to the middle of nowhere is not an option for me and my husband right now, and the surplus of pharmacists seems to be particularly bad here in Charlotte. You can't just look at postings online and believe that all of them are jobs-believe me, they're not. And most of them want people with experience, so I don't know what to do. I have student loans to pay off, and I don't know if I should look into doing something else for now, or if I should keep trying and wait until things get better...whenever that is. If anybody has any experience with or knows anybody with experience with getting out of pharmacy to help pay off debt, I would really appreciate some insight or advice. I'm overqualified for many jobs, so that doesn't help. If I were to go into some other field, I would want to make sure the field has some sort of demand. After this experience with everyone saying there's such a demand for pharmacists (and there always will be) and it not being true, I hesitate to believe any numbers or expected outlooks given by any agency! Thanks so much.

I graduated pharmacy school in 2008 and worked as a pharmacist for only 6 months. Since then, I have been looking for a job. Moving to the middle of nowhere is not an option for me and my husband right now, and the surplus of pharmacists seems to be particularly bad here in Charlotte. You can't just look at postings online and believe that all of them are jobs-believe me, they're not. And most of them want people with experience, so I don't know what to do. I have student loans to pay off, and I don't know if I should look into doing something else for now, or if I should keep trying and wait until things get better...whenever that is. If anybody has any experience with or knows anybody with experience with getting out of pharmacy to help pay off debt, I would really appreciate some insight or advice. I'm overqualified for many jobs, so that doesn't help. If I were to go into some other field, I would want to make sure the field has some sort of demand. After this experience with everyone saying there's such a demand for pharmacists (and there always will be) and it not being true, I hesitate to believe any numbers or expected outlooks given by any agency! Thanks so much.

This seems to always be the underlying reason for the discrepancy between the people who say jobs are impossible to find, and those who say there isn't a problem if you look a little and are flexible. Especially when people consider "the middle of nowhere" to be any city less than several hundred thousand people.

And I'm well aware of the whole "I can't move" issue. But if things were that bad, then you certainly could.

This seems to always be the underlying reason for the discrepancy between the people who say jobs are impossible to find, and those who say there isn't a problem if you look a little and are flexible. Especially when people consider "the middle of nowhere" to be any city less than several hundred thousand people.

And I'm well aware of the whole "I can't move" issue. But if things were that bad, then you certainly could.

also the fact that at least 60% or so of graduating pharmacy students are female, and given that males are traditionally higher income 'providers' for the family, in order for a woman with a husband to move, her significant other may have to give up an entire promising career to move to a rural area. there arent exactly 'normal' high paying careers in rural areas (i mean outside of healthcare). asking a family member to give up their career potentially is not a decision to be made lightly.

and forgive me if i offend anyone, i'm speaking in terms of the average american person and standard way of doing things. obviously there are cases where women will outearn their husbands and it would make financial sense to move to a rural area to obtain a pharmacy job, but you still have to deal with the psychological issues that come with that (a guy leaving a potential career etc).

it's not a decision to be made lightly really.

edit:
Obviously while pharmacy women are going to most likely be the high income earners in their family, also consider the fact that as highly educated professionals, women in pharmacy are probably (this is entirely made up, i dont have data), more likely to marry someone who is an equally high achiever in life, than the average person in society. This is just going based on personal experience, girls/women in pharmacy that I know have significant others who are relatively highly motivated people themselves, so I would expect a lot of times moving to support the woman's pharmacy job is going to inhibit or penalize high income earning men who most likely (outside of healthcare) are not going to find an adequate or satisfying career for themselves outside of cities. I would like to hear some more discussion on this topic as I believe it will probably become somewhat of a big deal overall in the future, and it is already most likely a pretty big deal for individuals at the present time (judging from comments Ive heard from female pharmacy friends).

Ie: woman graduates pharmacy school with 150k of debt and a potential 120k/year job, but no jobs exist. Boyfriend/husband is a law associate or junior businessperson, who, if they stay in their career, also likely to make 6 figures. I feel really bad for people in this type of situation -- sounds potentially very troubling :(

Last edited:

I only say it's not an option right now to move to Nebraska (where I get offers for a job) because my husband is doing his dream job right now, and it is literally the only place in the country he can do it. It is easy for you to think jobs are easy to find because you didn't have trouble or because you saw several postings online. Most of them aren't really jobs. They are posted over and over again, despite my applications.

I appreciate your point of view, but with all due respect, things aren't always the same everywhere. I did move 4 hours away from where I am now to a small town that was stuck back in the 1960's. It was awful. The job was totally misrepresented to me. It was an independent pharmacy owned by a businesswoman who had no idea what pharmacy entailed. She wanted me to learn the ancient computer system (so different from WAG) in a week, spend time meeting and learning the names of all the customers, and turn the business around after they had been put on probation with the board from what the previous RPh had done. She had not kept up with any records (CII, etc), laws, regulations, etc. It was a nightmare. I didn't have time to do anything because she wasn't willing to pay overtime, so she let me go. After this, I learned that sometimes there are reasons why small pharmacies in the middle of nowhere are willing to pay a lot of money for pharmacists. The owners keep getting rid of pharmacists because the owners don't know how to run the business. They don't know how much work goes into it. She was only interested in the money. It was a nightmare, as I had an apartment I was stuck with, etc. So, I'm not moving to Kansas, Oklahoma, or Nebraska. Until my husband is done fulfilling his dream, I'm staying in NC. Even then, I don't want to chance a move 24 hours away from family. What if he can't find a job? But seriously, there is a surplus of pharmacists. Why do you have to argue with that. Do you think I don't want to work?

also the fact that at least 60% or so of graduating pharmacy students are female, and given that males are traditionally higher income 'providers' for the family, in order for a woman with a husband to move, her significant other may have to give up an entire promising career to move to a rural area. there arent exactly 'normal' high paying careers in rural areas (i mean outside of healthcare). asking a family member to give up their career potentially is not a decision to be made lightly.

and forgive me if i offend anyone, i'm speaking in terms of the average american person and standard way of doing things. obviously there are cases where women will outearn their husbands and it would make financial sense to move to a rural area to obtain a pharmacy job, but you still have to deal with the psychological issues that come with that (a guy leaving a potential career etc).

it's not a decision to be made lightly really.

edit:
Obviously while pharmacy women are going to most likely be the high income earners in their family, also consider the fact that as highly educated professionals, women in pharmacy are probably (this is entirely made up, i dont have data), more likely to marry someone who is an equally high achiever in life, than the average person in society. This is just going based on personal experience, girls/women in pharmacy that I know have significant others who are relatively highly motivated people themselves, so I would expect a lot of times moving to support the woman's pharmacy job is going to inhibit or penalize high income earning men who most likely (outside of healthcare) are not going to find an adequate or satisfying career for themselves outside of cities. I would like to hear some more discussion on this topic as I believe it will probably become somewhat of a big deal overall in the future, and it is already most likely a pretty big deal for individuals at the present time (judging from comments Ive heard from female pharmacy friends).

Ie: woman graduates pharmacy school with 150k of debt and a potential 120k/year job, but no jobs exist. Boyfriend/husband is a law associate or junior businessperson, who, if they stay in their career, also likely to make 6 figures. I feel really bad for people in this type of situation -- sounds potentially very troubling :(

I honestly never thought of our marriage like this, but I can see this as becoming an issue as pharmacy jobs become harder and harder to find. I met my husband during my fourth year of pharmacy school, and he was just starting to work as an engineer. He is already getting paid well to do this, but the main problem is that he has wanted to do this particular job since he was 6 years old. I really never thought I would get married and have a guy to worry about his career as well. He is very supportive of my career as well, but there is no way that I would ask him to leave his job right now. He said he would stay in this particular niche of it for 4-5 years at the most. In the meantime, it is so hard for me to keep up with the knowledge I need while being out of a pharmacy. I don't know the best way to keep up to date so that I can re-enter the work force strong. I honestly don't care if I work or not. I just don't want to be in debt. I want both of us to work right now to pay the debt of quicker. You never know what you're getting into when you move across the country. There may be a reason why they're paying $65/hour and for your relocation. I really need some experience so that employers will look at me because right now, employers want people with experience. They can demand that and get it because of all the jobseekers! It's so frustrating!

I only say it's not an option right now to move to Nebraska (where I get offers for a job) because my husband is doing his dream job right now, and it is literally the only place in the country he can do it. It is easy for you to think jobs are easy to find because you didn't have trouble or because you saw several postings online. Most of them aren't really jobs. They are posted over and over again, despite my applications.

I appreciate your point of view, but with all due respect, things aren't always the same everywhere. I did move 4 hours away from where I am now to a small town that was stuck back in the 1960's. It was awful. The job was totally misrepresented to me. It was an independent pharmacy owned by a businesswoman who had no idea what pharmacy entailed. She wanted me to learn the ancient computer system (so different from WAG) in a week, spend time meeting and learning the names of all the customers, and turn the business around after they had been put on probation with the board from what the previous RPh had done. She had not kept up with any records (CII, etc), laws, regulations, etc. It was a nightmare. I didn't have time to do anything because she wasn't willing to pay overtime, so she let me go. After this, I learned that sometimes there are reasons why small pharmacies in the middle of nowhere are willing to pay a lot of money for pharmacists. The owners keep getting rid of pharmacists because the owners don't know how to run the business. They don't know how much work goes into it. She was only interested in the money. It was a nightmare, as I had an apartment I was stuck with, etc. So, I'm not moving to Kansas, Oklahoma, or Nebraska. Until my husband is done fulfilling his dream, I'm staying in NC. Even then, I don't want to chance a move 24 hours away from family. What if he can't find a job? But seriously, there is a surplus of pharmacists. Why do you have to argue with that. Do you think I don't want to work?

I didn't intend for my post to be a personal attack, it was just a generalization. It's the common theme I've picked up on after reading hundreds upon hundreds of posts about the job market on this site.

As far as job postings online...I generally don't use them. I can never help but feel like people are getting complacent when they only look at online job listings (again, not directed at you). It never seemed like a very good method to me. Going to the pharmacy in person or, if too far of a drive, calling is much more effective.

If your husband has his dream job (I'm assuming he's making pretty decent money), then you're probably not in the type of desperate situation where you should be willing to move anywhere for a job, and there's nothing wrong with that. I was referring to the type of people who are 150k in debt, have no source of income, and are still not willing to move out of the city. Taking extreme circumstances into consideration of course, but they're usually few and far between.

The situation at your last job sounds pretty terrible and far from the norm for a small town. It's a wonder how places like that stay in business. Certainly not helping the chance for an independent comeback.

Pretty much all I'm saying is that currently, the surplus is localized to larger cities (I'm calling this >100,000 people or so), and can't be extrapolated to the entire country which everyone seems to do. Your situation leaves you in a bind, and I can empathize with that.

I didn't intend for my post to be a personal attack, it was just a generalization. It's the common theme I've picked up on after reading hundreds upon hundreds of posts about the job market on this site.

As far as job postings online...I generally don't use them. I can never help but feel like people are getting complacent when they only look at online job listings (again, not directed at you). It never seemed like a very good method to me. Going to the pharmacy in person or, if too far of a drive, calling is much more effective.

If your husband has his dream job (I'm assuming he's making pretty decent money), then you're probably not in the type of desperate situation where you should be willing to move anywhere for a job, and there's nothing wrong with that. I was referring to the type of people who are 150k in debt, have no source of income, and are still not willing to move out of the city. Taking extreme circumstances into consideration of course, but they're usually few and far between.

The situation at your last job sounds pretty terrible and far from the norm for a small town. It's a wonder how places like that stay in business. Certainly not helping the chance for an independent comeback.

Pretty much all I'm saying is that currently, the surplus is localized to larger cities (I'm calling this >100,000 people or so), and can't be extrapolated to the entire country which everyone seems to do. Your situation leaves you in a bind, and I can empathize with that.

I would go so far as to call "surplus" >500,000

majority of small cities dont have terrible employment pictures for pharmacists based on hearsay.. granted , any suburb of a metro area , i would include in the above category