overwhelmed by the mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smancini

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am completely overwhelmed by studying for the mcat and dont know how to calm myself down, focus, and just get the job done. theres just so many options of study resources and so many different ways to study, i dont know what is best for me or what i should do. and when i am not studying, i just am worried about the test in general, or feel like i should be studying!

i figured, someone on here must have gone through this at some point and came out the other end. any advice, tips, suggestions, would help me out so much. thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Something that always helped me is listening to books on tape when you sleep. You can get a lot of free and helpful stuff on itunes. This method helped me learn Spanish muy rápido.

Reactions: 1 user
i am completely overwhelmed by studying for the mcat and dont know how to calm myself down, focus, and just get the job done. theres just so many options of study resources and so many different ways to study, i dont know what is best for me or what i should do. and when i am not studying, i just am worried about the test in general, or feel like i should be studying!

i figured, someone on here must have gone through this at some point and came out the other end. any advice, tips, suggestions, would help me out so much. thank you!

I know exactly how you feel, I dealt with this literally everyday for two months leading up to the test. The best things to do are to go for a run, and call and talk to your family when you're taking a break. This should help and relieve some stress, but when you are doing these things you need to get down to business. Have a plan and push yourself. Set a schedule of how many hours you want to study each day, and what you want to study. You just need to try your best and realize this is a marathon, not a sprint. This is easier said then done, I know. Good luck!!

This thread will probably be moved soon, but...

I would say you need to just keep working...hopefully you have already found out what works for you. For example, I decided to use Examkrackers (this is not necessarily an endorsement) and started their home study program they have online. The structure really helped me to get started, but after the first week I had already adjusted it. I set apart 2-3 hours every other morning and purposely designed my class and work schedules so they didn't start until 10:00 AM. I also used some old Kaplan exams every Saturday morning just to get me used to MCAT type questions. However, I am a morning person so this might not work for you. The important thing is that you start something (anything!), set goals that are measurable, and then adjust as needed. Towards the end I did a AAMC test every weekend.

Just some ideas...you will probably get more. Take the best from each.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Read every review book you can get your hands on at least twice

2. Do every practice test (especially AAMCs) you can get your hands on

3. Experiment with drugs (caffiene, modafinil, piracetam, adderall, alcar, etc.) that will put you in your best test-taking mindset

4. Kick ass

People tend to procrastinate when they feel overwhelmed. I imagine that it has something to do with the feeling that any effort you make in the face of such a monumental task is futile. Postpone the test if you can't possibly finish studying in time. Don't lose track and simply force yourself to study. Take a break every now and again to keep your mind focused.

Focus your efforts by analyzing and discovering the areas in which you are weak. Where are you in your prep? Have you already finished a content review? Get the outline with all the MCAT topics from the AAMC and go down the list item-by-item and make sure you are competent in all the areas.

Hang out in the MCAT forum as there is quite a bit of help available there.

:luck:

Hate to break this to you but it only gets worse.

The MCAT is a multifaceted test. Different sections require different areas of the brain. When I was studying full-time for the MCAT in the summer, I studied every waking moment for several weeks. I could do this because I switched subject whenever I felt tired. For example, I did verbal reasoning exercises and practice questions when I felt the most alert because VR is all about quick comprehension and interpretation. When I felt more tired, I read bio books and learned by osmosis.

Doing practice exams should be on the top of your priority list. Take as many as you can get your hands on before the test day. Each test should point out weaknesses you need to work on. Internalize the lesson from each mistake you make.

Think of the MCAT as an MKITTEN. Not so frightening now, is it? ;) Now go and pounce on it. It's just a wee little harmless test. :luck:

Try not to stress out over the test and instead use that energy to plan out a schedule that you stick to. It is true that there are many resources out there and some with differing approaches, but if you study the materials well you will get the result. I have used examkrackers, princetonreview, and Kaplan, and based on my opinion, examkrackers 1001 questions for verbal is extremely helpful. Generally speaking kaplan has good basic science books that cover the foundations. If you have LOTS of time, you could try the HUGE princeton review books (too much details to be of much use).

In general make enough time to go over all the AAMC test and plz make every effort to go over the test.

Lastly, have fun with it. If you have any specific questions, you can PM me.

If you have taken the classes, then all you really need to do do is grow accustomed to the test style and fill in some gaps in your knowledge. That doesn't seem so tough, now does it. You will be fine.

The best way to tackle this is to read the 30+ mcat habits on the mcat forum and the sticky on best rated study materials. These two threads really helped me choose the best study materials since I didn't have the cash for a class and model a study plan based on the students with 34+.

I only had to take the mcat once and had a 30+ thanks to those threads. Prior to that I was pretty scattered with no real direct. You can get similar results; what one man can do another can.

If you can, take one of the review courses. It's hard for me to make myself study, so being scheduled for at least 2 hours of note taking two or 3 times a week made a big difference for me.

Read news and articles, especially stuff like WSJ (our course came with a 1 year subscription). Work on understanding and remembering what you read. It really helped me with verbal.

Do a LOT of practice tests. If there's one thing I regret about how I studied, it's not taking enough of them.

Take the evening before the test off, watch a movie, and get a good night's sleep. No sense in worrying about something that late in the game.

Think of the MCAT as an MKITTEN. Not so frightening now, is it? ;) Now go and pounce on it. It's just a wee little harmless test. :luck:

:laugh: This may have made my morning.

(To the OP: Sorry I can't offer any advice. I've not gotten to the MCAT yet.)

1. Read every review book you can get your hands on at least twice

2. Do every practice test (especially AAMCs) you can get your hands on

3. Experiment with drugs (caffiene, modafinil, piracetam, adderall, alcar, etc.) that will put you in your best test-taking mindset

4. Kick ass

I disagree with #1. I don't know when you're planning on taking the MCAT, but if you're feeling overwhelmed right now, I assume it is too short of a time from now to be able to read every review book twice. Get 1 review book for each subject, from one test company, and read up on all tested subjects. But don't try to memorize every single detail; it's impossible and you will likely feel even more overwhelmed which won't help your studying. And don't read them twice unless you're really struggling to understand a specific concept. Your time could be much better spent with practice exams or short subject tests, a few passages and discrete questions. This will help to enforce material you already reviewed and help your critical thinking skills. I wouldn't read a review book a second time at the expense of missing practice time and skill development.

Edit: This is just my thoughts and the advice of Kaplan (I'm in a course now-which I recommed to help with your overwhelmed feelings if you have teh time/$ for it). I'll let you know if it actually works in a few months ;) If you can't take a course, the Examkrackers study schedule online looks really helpful and will give you structure.

i know exactly how you feel..but just remember the big goal. this is the method that really helped me..
1. i worked for a group of associations that had educational components, this meant that the people had to pass a certain set of exams..and get certain scores to even be considered a part of the association. the exams were made by people in the field and some exams were obviously better than others. basically working in this environment made me realize that mcat is just an exam that is made by a group of people. it is doable..now i am starting to think of it like a game. trying to think like the mcat maker..what would you ask to trip someone up on the exam..what would you focus on..I have started being much more observant when i make mistakes..is it attention to detail..am i lacking on concept knowledge..for me, i know that as overwhelmed and scared i feel at times..this is just a barrier we all have to cross as premeds..and we can do this..
2. confidence..i know i am still working on mine but this is key. going into the exam with the right attitude is so important.
3. take it one day at a time..all of the information wont just settle into your head in one day. make a study schedule that you can stick to..and take things in small pieices..for me i am using the EK series. ireally like the way materials have been formatted..i dedicated each day to reading the EK ch, listening to audio osmosis, taking notes on audio osmosis and taking notes while reading the ch again, i do the 1001 quesiotns seireis on that section..and correct my wrong answers by diagnosing why i got the problem wrong and writing down important information.
4. what you are feeling is so normal...and i think its hard not to feel overwhelmed..but i think the mcat test takers want us to feel that..they want to scare us..but when u realize that ppl that make the exam are just as human as us..and that there is a method to the madness..i think it is easier..
5. also, be pateint with urself..sometimes i allow myself to feel overwhelemd because i am not sure what else to feel..but i think not feeling overwhelmed constantly is key. you can do this, i promise!
i hope this helps..

Honestly, I took a 3 prong approach:

1:study like a beast (8 hrs. a day, take a course, rewrite notes)

2: Do EVERY practice test you can before taking the actual test

3:stress is counteractive, so find an outlet (instrument, work out, so on) and try to remain as calm as possible as you study to maximize retention.

and bonus (but this one counts for the rest of your life, post MCAT, as well)

4: learn to love caffeine. caffeine has put me through the last 10 years of my life....

The MCAT is a fully doable thing, as long as you put your time and effort in, just like all else. do not stress out. worse comes to worse, you'll have to take it again. It happens to the best of us, so its ok!