Overwhelmed with all the book choices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tlew12778

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
That basically sums it up.

I need to buy my FH's step 1 materials this month (he's FMG and I'm American and well, it's just easier if I buy them). What do I buy? Right now, sitting in my Amazon shopping cart, I have all the books listed on the sticky thread.

These books are: First Aid, Step Up, Crashing the Boards, BRS Path/Physiology, HY and BRS Behavioral Science (will only buy one of them), Clinical Micro Made Ridiculously Simple, and Step up to the bedside.

I'm working on getting Q Bank too.

Over on the prep4theUSMLE.com forum, they've got a whole other list going. It includes books I've never heard of:

USMLE Step 1 Secrets, Usmle Step 1 (Rapid Review Series), Body Systems Review I: Board Simulator, General Principles in the Basic Sciences (Board Simulator), Normal and Abnormal Processes in the Basic Sciences (Board Simulator), NMS Review for USMLE Step 1 (Book + CD-ROM)

(Actually, I have heard of NMS... should I get it?)

They also mention the Kaplan Medical USMLE Step 1 Home Study Program... maybe I should get that in lieu of some of the books?

Any thoughts? I don't want to buy so many books that he won't be able to use half of them. He needs to take all 3 parts this year (for the 2006 match) so it's not like he will have 12 months to go over just step 1 materials.

Members don't see this ad.

Here's the list I've compiled:

First Aid for the USMLE Step 1
Kaplan Qbank

BRS:
Pathology
Physiology

Hi-Yield:
Gross Anatomy
Neuroanatomy
Immunology
Embryology
Behavioral Sciences

Lippincott's:
Biochemistry
Pharmacology

Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple

I think that's everything. Good luck!

Actually I think your list is pretty good. If you want to take some out of that list I would take these out:
HY Behavioral probably instead of BRS one. (editing this - to make it clear - I mean keep HY and take out BRS)

From your prep4usmle list, take out:

Usmle Step 1 (Rapid Review Series), Body Systems Review I: Board Simulator, General Principles in the Basic Sciences (Board Simulator), Normal and Abnormal Processes in the Basic Sciences (Board Simulator),

Everything else is great - look at http://www.gotmedbooks.com

Viper