Owning the Verbal Section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donkeykong1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice. I finished freshman year and over the summer I casually took some verbal practice tests from time to time. My verbal range is between 8-11, my plan is to increase the range by winter break to 9-12 and work from there. I scored in the mid 600's on the sat, so i want to increase my vebal potential as much as possible. I'm planning on taking the mcats in march of junior year.

What I really need is some strategic advice on breaking down the questions and answering them quickly. I particularly get stuck on extrapolation questions.

Members don't see this ad.

For extrapolation questions, the key is to have the author's tone and thesis down pat. The real answer should mimic it pretty closely even though you are extrapolating to something outside of the actual passage. You'll be able to eliminate a couple of choices immediately if you understand those two things. Beyond that, look at the remaining answer choices. If one sounds a little to extreme one way or the other, it probably is. The MCAT is all about finding the middle of the road answers that follow the author's tone and point of view. In my signature, there is a link for studying for the verbal reasoning section. See if anything in there helps out too.