Oxford of Emory vs Bates College for undergraduate

bread.connoisseur

Reaction score
Hello! I am trying to decide between Oxford of Emory (Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology major) or Bates College (Neuroscience major) for undergraduate. From my research, both schools have respectable medical school acceptance rates and compare favorably in aspects that are important to me. Thus I could see myself being similarly happy at both places in regards to academics, extracurriculars, and social life. The financial aid is about the same. Would appreciate any advice (especially from people who are current students or alums). Thank you in advance! Btw this is my first post, so hopefully I followed all the guidelines :)

Members don't see this ad.

Go with whichever school you think will be better for you if you do NOT go on to medical school. Not saying that you won't become a doctor -- just that:
  • at this point, the odds are actually that you won't, (weed-out classes, sub-steller GPA or MCAT, changing your mind, etc.)
  • if you DO go to medical school, your choice of undergrad won't matter at all,
  • if you DON'T go to medical school, it might matter rather a lot (networks, grad school, etc.)
Emory and Bates are both well-respected colleges. If one or the other of them is a better fit for you, choose that one.

Reactions: 1 user
Go with whichever school you think will be better for you if you do NOT go on to medical school. Not saying that you won't become a doctor -- just that:
  • at this point, the odds are actually that you won't, (weed-out classes, sub-steller GPA or MCAT, changing your mind, etc.)
  • if you DO go to medical school, your choice of undergrad won't matter at all,
  • if you DON'T go to medical school, it might matter rather a lot (networks, grad school, etc.)
Emory and Bates are both well-respected colleges. If one or the other of them is a better fit for you, choose that one.
Thank you! That sounds like really good advice. I'm starting to think there's only so much research I can do before making a final choice.