OXFORD UNIVERSITY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pre-Med Psycho

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, i'm going to be a senior in h.s. and i am researching different options etc.etc. however...i do know that i want to be a physician...now..i recently read that Harvard, Yale, and Oxford are the top three universities in the world....does that mean that a pre-med program from Oxford..even though its in England...would be considered an accreditated university for admission into a U.S. med school?....or would i be viewed as every other international applicant....i am a citizen and i did go to h.s. here etc. etc. but if i went to OXFORD for undergrad...what would i have to go through to get into an america med school??

every post will be greatly appreciated...thank you.

"In the midst of adversity, lies opportunity." -Einstein

"If you're gonna fall, fall on your back....because if you can look up, you can get up." -Les Brown

"I learn by Osmosis." -Garfield

:eek: :D :mad: :rolleyes: :p :confused: :) :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

I would advise you to check the cost of Oxford for students that are considered international. And to answer your question, unless you establish citzenship while at Oxford, I think you would still be able to apply to american med schools without being an international. If you really think that Oxford might be an option, why not complete your medical, as well as your undergraduate degree there? Good luck

P.S.....I would think that adcoms would look favorably on an applicant from Oxford with a stellar GPA and MCAT. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Pre-Med Psycho:
•but if i went to OXFORD for undergrad...what would i have to go through to get into an america med school??

Pre-Med Psycho: The system in the UK is a lil different -- students in the UK specialize earlier than their American counterparts. During your last two years at a british high-school, students specialize in their subjects. When I was in Hong Kong (British ruled), I remember taking A-Level (equivalant, if not harder to the AP-level) Biology, Chemistry and Pure Math (Calculus). Certain programs have different A-level requirements.

I'm not enrolled in a UK University (I transfered to the U.S my last year of highschool) -- but I am interested in studying abroad my Junior year at the University of Oxford. I suggest you check out their website: http://www.ox.ac.uk for more information -- Oxford is a collegiate school and it is made up of over 40 colleges(!) Medicine there is cut-throught and very competitive. Each college only accepts 3-4 students into their program.

In the United States you would have to recieve your baccalaureate and take your MCATS before you apply to medical school (A total of 8 years before you finally reach your goals!) whereas in the U.K, the program is compressed into 5-6 years.

Good luck!

Watch out. The British system of medical education is quite different. I was a student at Cambridge for a time...

For medicine, you'd apply for one of a few specific positions in an Oxford (why not Cambridge? :)) college (as mentioned by atlas_shrugged), and finish your "preclinical" education in three years. In that time, you will study nothing besides medicine (no literature courses, math, etc.).

Following your preclinical years, you'll become a clinical medicine student for a few (3?) years. After graduation, you won't have an MD, but the British equivalent (M.B.B.Ch.).

The likelihood of being accepted to a medicine spot as a US citizen is essentially nil. In fact, it is extraordinarily rare for American high school seniors to be accepted into any position in any program in the Oxbridge system (why not study abroad in college?). There are interviews required, and since you haven't had a chance to take A levels, you'll be eyed somewhat suspiciously by the various faculties to which you will apply.

If you manage to overcome these barriers and get accepted to an undergraduate program in any subject at Oxford, you can absolutely apply to American medical schools. You may have to schedule your MCAT and interviews carefully (or take a year off), but if you manage to get out of Oxford with a first or second class degree, you're likely to be competitive in the states without having to do a post-bacc.

Good luck with your decisions -

doepug
MSII, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine