Oz, autos, pets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nurse2Doc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dr. Kim~
Flinder's is fast moving into first position on my application list...still gathering info though. Do you know about bringing pets? Do they let you bring animals through customs? We have had our dog longer than we have had our children, so it is a very real concern. I mean, I couldn't even bring coffee last time we went to the Caribbean. I don't suppose they give doggie visas? ;)Also, transportation...my hubby's biggest concern is having to divorce his Harley~how feasible is it to transport it over? Do you think it would be more reasonable to send our car over or sell it and buy a cheapo one there? Thanks in advance for your response. (If you don't have time to respond, I will wait for the International Affairs people to get back to me. Thx again)

Members don't see this ad.

Nurse, also if I may ask. What are your reasons for placing Flinders #1. I felt the program along w/cost of living in Adelaide was enough for me although I have family living in Sydney. What will hubby do? The reason I ask is that my wife is starting to look for employment. Later. Wade

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi...

WMG is right - you CAN bring your pets over but it IS a hassle. However, for pets who are just like one of the family, I'm sure its worth it.

There are several exams that have to take place (ie, rabies titres within a certain time frame) and you must have a microchip implanted. I don't have any idea about prices but I'm sure it all adds up.

Your pet is required to be quarantined = the length of time depends on how far in advance you have lab tests done, etc. Your pet will be quarantined in MELBOURNE, not in Adelaide. Melbourne is an 8-9 hour drive away so visiting the animal while quarantined is not feasible. And you will have to go back to Melbourne to pick him/her up.

I had a classmate who did this and I'm sure it was worth it but it does take awhile to arrange so get cracking!!!

The car situation is different. While I am not sure I believe you would be required to shift the drive train over to right side drive unless your car is older than 35 years (at least that is the US rule). Shipping a car across is TERRIBLY expensive, especially to do it twice. I know of no one who has even attempted this what with shipping costs, drive train conversion, etc. My advice would be to sell the car and purchase another one once you arrive in Adelaide.

best of luck to you. :D

WMG, Dr. Kim...Thank you again!!! As we have decided, the Harley and the dog go...the rest will work itself out! (sorry Max...(the macaw)...I have had ya for 10 years but you ain't worth the microchip!} Kim, the PBL philosophy EXCITES me (1 of the reasons Flinders had charged to #1)I am a critical care/ER/trauma nurse and have a multitude of clinical knowledge (it is my forte)~I suspect you were a traditional science based major...hence the percieved lack of science based knowledge...But when it comes down to the wire, you really ARE prepared for your residency (or you would not be a resident!) WMG...thx for your response and I look forward to corresponding with you as you begin your career at Flinders. Why is Flinders forging it's way ahead for us? I have a hubby and kids and the change presents more as a welcomed challenge than an obstacle. And lets not understate the vinyards...WOOHOO!!!

Nurse2Doc - You are going to love Australia, esp the vinyards :) .

I am going to take my 2 cats with me, but the cost will be less prohibitive for me because they won't have to stay in quarantine when I get there.

How old are your kids (if you don't mind me asking)?

Originally posted by Nurse2Doc:
•WMG, Dr. Kim...Thank you again!!! As we have decided, the Harley and the dog go...the rest will work itself out! (sorry Max...(the macaw)...I have had ya for 10 years but you ain't worth the microchip!} Kim, the PBL philosophy EXCITES me (1 of the reasons Flinders had charged to #1)I am a critical care/ER/trauma nurse and have a multitude of clinical knowledge (it is my forte)~I suspect you were a traditional science based major...hence the percieved lack of science based knowledge...But when it comes down to the wire, you really ARE prepared for your residency (or you would not be a resident!) WMG...thx for your response and I look forward to corresponding with you as you begin your career at Flinders. Why is Flinders forging it's way ahead for us? I have a hubby and kids and the change presents more as a welcomed challenge than an obstacle. And lets not understate the vinyards...WOOHOO!!!•

It sounds as if you've made some tough decisions. My pets ended up staying with my parents (they have a nice ranch and the animals would have been much happier there); now, after 4 years of living the high life at my parents I didn't have the heart to yank them away from their lovely surroundings to live in an apartment with me (or as the case may be, WITHOUT me, given my call schedule! ;) ).

I was not a traditional science major - undergrad and grad degrees in Experimental Psych with a heavy research background before and after graduation. I realize the benefit of clinical knowledge - but the truth of the matter is that there is a lot of basic science knowledge which I lack and I could use everyday. I AM a resident (so obviously assimilated enough to get an average score on Step 1) and so far I haven't made any grave mistakes, but to be honest a lot of what I do is simple scutwork - no thinking involved. I am not asked to make many decisions and when I do make them without consulting the team its because its something I've seen done time and again, not because I really understand the reason or science behind it.

I keep telling myself, "one of these days I'll read up on it..." :D

Kim~
You mentioned somewhere in one of your posts feeling deprived of basic A&P knowledge, esp during surg rotations. I didn't see much in the Flinder's curriculum in the way of basic science (as you have acknowledged)...did they do a gross A&P lab? Seems to me a crucial thing to leave out (if that is in fact the case).

Nurse. Yes Flinders offers elective coursework to prepare for the basic sciences component of the USMLE and to the best of my understanding, have focused much more on these sciences in the past couple of years as compared to when Kim was there. As Kim has said, she attended during a huge transition from traditional didactics to PBL as well as the focus away from basic sciences to a clinical focus. This was the story I heard from a recent grad I spoke with when I interveiwed. I also feel very strongly that it is our responsibility to identify what needs to be known, obtain the materiel (readily available at Flinders) and learn it ourselves, if we wish to score competitively on the USMLE. Australian schools do not teach to the USMLE at all and the onus is going to be upon us to learn what needs to be learned. With that said, I must also add that I believe PBL will actually make it easier to learn basic sciences. We have ample study time and I look forward to learning basic sciences within the context of a clinical problem as opposed to rote memorization of dry facts to be applied later in clinical years. Anyway, check the link belkow and download the student guide to elective coursework. There is great info on the research selectives too! Later, Wade
http://cal.fmc.flinders.edu.au/gemp/studinfo/elect1_2.pdf

Thanks Wade!

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas about how to supplement our education in Australia to possibly score higher on the USMLE. I will be attending Flinders in February also and am nervous about not doing well on the exam and consequently not being able to find a residency.

I have heard some students take time off to attend Kaplan USMLE prep and it has paid off. Also some students skip their classes and study like mad...but at the expense of their medical program grades. How soon do people begin preparing for it? Are there any classes that could be taken during breaks that would be useful to supplement this debt of "basic science" knowledge? I am not just thinking about the USMLE but about residency as well.

Anyone who has thoughts or recommendations I would appreciate :)
Thanks.

PS-Kimberli, my thoughts are with you in Pennsylvania. What an awful event. (Even the hospital I work at in Seattle is in disaster mode, surgery is fully staffed and half the rooms are closed for possible copycat trauma.) Very scary.

Originally posted by treesap:
•I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas about how to supplement our education in Australia to possibly score higher on the USMLE. I will be attending Flinders in February also and am nervous about not doing well on the exam and consequently not being able to find a residency.

I have heard some students take time off to attend Kaplan USMLE prep and it has paid off. Also some students skip their classes and study like mad...but at the expense of their medical program grades. How soon do people begin preparing for it? Are there any classes that could be taken during breaks that would be useful to supplement this debt of "basic science" knowledge? I am not just thinking about the USMLE but about residency as well.

Anyone who has thoughts or recommendations I would appreciate :)
Thanks.

PS-Kimberli, my thoughts are with you in Pennsylvania. What an awful event. (Even the hospital I work at in Seattle is in disaster mode, surgery is fully staffed and half the rooms are closed for possible copycat trauma.) Very scary.•

While I don't know of anyone who took time off to take the Kaplan course, a couple of us did get permission to take a couple of months off during 4th year to study. How early to start depends on how early you are going to take Step 1. I definitely believe that my clinical studies helped me on the increasingly clinical USMLE, so would not recommend taking it before clinical clerkships.

I suppose you could take courses during breaks, but frankly the breaks aren't very long and I think you would be hard-pressed to find any course which is valuable in under 8 weeks (the longest break - between 1st and 2nd year). The key is to simply be focused, have review books and study hard. No one has been unable to get a residency. Obtaining a competitive residency is a different kettle of fish but simply requires that you spend more time studying. I would try and get a better foundation during the first 2 years when you have more time and then supplement that with refresher material and clinical correlates during later years.

Thanks for your thoughts during the national crisis. We are on "standby" although we have not received any patients and I am not sure we will. I'm on call tonight for Vascular and I expect it to be quiet but you never know... :D