P-Chem in lieu of inorganic chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MahlerROCKS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is possible or have experience fulfilling the 2nd semester of inorganic chemistry with p-chem

Members don't see this ad.

MahlerROCKS said:
Does anyone know if it is possible or have experience fulfilling the 2nd semester of inorganic chemistry with p-chem

I thought most schools considered any type of chem. apart from Organic, inorganic chem. This would then include p-chem. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Ashanti Rock said:
I thought most schools considered any type of chem. apart from Organic, inorganic chem. This would then include p-chem. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Yeah, I'm not sure either; I know physical and inorganic chemistry are different specialties, but I'm not sure if med schools make the same distinction

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought they considered anything outside of organic as inorganic, which would mean that the gen chem sequence would count toward inorganic chemistry.
Anyway, why would you take P-chem is your not a chem major? Its not a very nice course!

inorganic chemistry is it's own brand of chem, it's not just "everthing besides organic." it's a lot of surface chemistry and crystal structure and the acrobatics that a lot of elements can perform. even though physical chem is probably the most similar chemistry to inorganic, they're not really the same class to any extent... it's probably pretty unusual to be able to substitute one for the other. if you'd really like to make the switch i would talk to the department head (are you a chem major?) about it; i knew some fellow chem majors that took some 'technically incorrect' classes to satisfy certain requirements.

oh wait... you're talking about med school requirements? in that case, they (unfortunately) are referring to things besides organic as inorganic chemistry, and i bet they'd take pchem. be warned though, 2 semesters of general would be easier and more useful for mcats, or at least 1 general and 1 quantitative chem. pchem was the hardest course(s) i took as a biochem major.

P. Chem wasn't bad. It was just math intensive. But conceptually, it wasn't any more difficult than Gen. Chem.
And everyone is right about inorganic and med schools. Here's a little dictionary for med schools.

med school term | real world term
inorganic chem | anything that is not orgo.

I'm not sure if it's possible, but having taken p-chem - WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU WANT TO DO THAT?

ms1finally said:
I'm not sure if it's possible, but having taken p-chem - WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU WANT TO DO THAT?

My school only has 1 semester of gen chem because they condense two semesters (and quite well) into only one; while we do have an inorganic and post p-chem advanced inorganic chemistry class, I have to take p-chem for my major (biochem) anyway and I don't see the need to take inorganic if the p-chem will be sufficient

ms1finally said:

Thats what I was thinking!
I guess if you had to take it anyways.....maybe you should call a few schools to be safe?

I don't know what your school considers "inorganic chemistry II" but at my school inorganic II is an upper level advanced chemistry course normally taken by juniors. It isn't the same as gen chem II. Although i did well in pchem and inorganic II, I found inorganic II a lot harder than pchem. Inorganic II at my school dove much deeper into bonding theory, group theory, coordination chemistry, ligand field theory, etc.

Ashanti Rock said:

School says:
2 semesters inorganic chem,
2 semesters organic chem.

translation
2 semesters general chemistry (i.e. intro chem),
2 semesters orgo (fun times :) )

novawildcat said:
I don't know what your school considers "inorganic chemistry II" but at my school inorganic II is an upper level advanced chemistry course normally taken by juniors. It isn't the same as gen chem II. Although i did well in pchem and inorganic II, I found inorganic II a lot harder than pchem. Inorganic II at my school dove much deeper into bonding theory, group theory, coordination chemistry, ligand field theory, etc.

Our first inorganic class covers material past what would be gen chem II at most schools; the advanced inorganic is post p-chem inorganic chemistry. I could take the lower level inorganic, but I'm a double major (Classics), and I don't want to take superfluous classes, so I'm tyring to find-out if p-chem can substitute for the 2nd semester of gen chem/lower level inorganic

You're describing exactly how UMich works with the condensed general chem course, and yes, P-Chem will satisfy the requirement for medical schools.