1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

P-Chem in lieu of inorganic chem

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MahlerROCKS, Nov 22, 2005.

1. MahlerROCKS

5+ Year Member

Does anyone know if it is possible or have experience fulfilling the 2nd semester of inorganic chemistry with p-chem

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Ashanti Rock

Ashanti Rock Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I thought most schools considered any type of chem. apart from Organic, inorganic chem. This would then include p-chem. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

4. MahlerROCKS

5+ Year Member

Yeah, I'm not sure either; I know physical and inorganic chemistry are different specialties, but I'm not sure if med schools make the same distinction

5. americanangel

americanangel Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I thought they considered anything outside of organic as inorganic, which would mean that the gen chem sequence would count toward inorganic chemistry.
    Anyway, why would you take P-chem is your not a chem major? Its not a very nice course!

6. werd

werd Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    inorganic chemistry is it's own brand of chem, it's not just "everthing besides organic." it's a lot of surface chemistry and crystal structure and the acrobatics that a lot of elements can perform. even though physical chem is probably the most similar chemistry to inorganic, they're not really the same class to any extent... it's probably pretty unusual to be able to substitute one for the other. if you'd really like to make the switch i would talk to the department head (are you a chem major?) about it; i knew some fellow chem majors that took some 'technically incorrect' classes to satisfy certain requirements.

7. werd

werd Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    oh wait... you're talking about med school requirements? in that case, they (unfortunately) are referring to things besides organic as inorganic chemistry, and i bet they'd take pchem. be warned though, 2 semesters of general would be easier and more useful for mcats, or at least 1 general and 1 quantitative chem. pchem was the hardest course(s) i took as a biochem major.

8. jebus

jebus Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

P. Chem wasn't bad. It was just math intensive. But conceptually, it wasn't any more difficult than Gen. Chem.
    And everyone is right about inorganic and med schools. Here's a little dictionary for med schools.

med school term | real world term
    inorganic chem | anything that is not orgo.

9. ms1finally

ms1finally Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I'm not sure if it's possible, but having taken p-chem - WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU WANT TO DO THAT?

10. MahlerROCKS

5+ Year Member

My school only has 1 semester of gen chem because they condense two semesters (and quite well) into only one; while we do have an inorganic and post p-chem advanced inorganic chemistry class, I have to take p-chem for my major (biochem) anyway and I don't see the need to take inorganic if the p-chem will be sufficient

11. 75969

75969 Guest

Medical Student
    Thats what I was thinking!
    I guess if you had to take it anyways.....maybe you should call a few schools to be safe?

12. novawildcat

novawildcat Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I don't know what your school considers "inorganic chemistry II" but at my school inorganic II is an upper level advanced chemistry course normally taken by juniors. It isn't the same as gen chem II. Although i did well in pchem and inorganic II, I found inorganic II a lot harder than pchem. Inorganic II at my school dove much deeper into bonding theory, group theory, coordination chemistry, ligand field theory, etc.

13. crazy_cavalier

crazy_cavalier T3-Weighted
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    School says:
    2 semesters inorganic chem,
    2 semesters organic chem.

translation
    2 semesters general chemistry (i.e. intro chem),
    2 semesters orgo (fun times :) )

14. MahlerROCKS

5+ Year Member

Our first inorganic class covers material past what would be gen chem II at most schools; the advanced inorganic is post p-chem inorganic chemistry. I could take the lower level inorganic, but I'm a double major (Classics), and I don't want to take superfluous classes, so I'm tyring to find-out if p-chem can substitute for the 2nd semester of gen chem/lower level inorganic

15. _ian

_ian Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

You're describing exactly how UMich works with the condensed general chem course, and yes, P-Chem will satisfy the requirement for medical schools.