P/F Clerkship grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know clerkship grades are second or third most important when it comes to matching. How disadvantageous is P/F grading?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I know clerkship grades are second or third most important when it comes to matching. How disadvantageous is P/F grading?

:shrug: Residencies prefer honors in the rotation of speciality and often honors in all rotations, although good "grades" are more important, which P fits. P/F seems too broad in this aspect. See here. Med students/residents can provide a better perspective on this.

If your school uses P/F grading, it's not going to be a problem. Programs like Honors because it shows you've done better than many others in your class. If you go to a school with P/F clerkship grading, make sure to get a good letter of reference from the director of the clerkship that is relevant to the field you're trying to match into.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your school uses P/F grading, it's not going to be a problem. Programs like Honors because it shows you've done better than many others in your class. If you go to a school with P/F clerkship grading, make sure to get a good letter of reference from the director of the clerkship that is relevant to the field you're trying to match into.

Well I've been accepted to two schools. One uses H/HP/P/F and the other (the one I'm leaning towards) is P/F with %.

you will want the H/HP/P/F grading system because residency programs will want to assess your competency as well as be able to distinguish you from among other applicants. I have received multiple warnings to not go to a school with P/F clerkship grading. P/F is fine for preclerk when grades are less important relative to the importance of step 1, but do grades matter for clerk.

The students at cclcm are ungraded all years and it doesn't seem like its been a problem for them. I think they get pretty detailed written evals.

you will want the H/HP/P/F grading system because residency programs will want to assess your competency as well as be able to distinguish you from among other applicants. I have received multiple warnings to not go to a school with P/F clerkship grading. P/F is fine for preclerk when grades are less important relative to the importance of step 1, but do grades matter for clerk.
Many of the finest schools in the country have P/F grading systems with no apparent ill effect on match outcomes.

many programs are moving towards P/F these days but don't let your decision hinge upon only this. I wouldn't even worry about it, it's basically ll the same. Who knows, your school with h/hp/p/ f may even convert to p/f by the time you reach 3rd year anyway

Many of the finest schools in the country have P/F grading systems with no apparent ill effect on match outcomes.

Which schools are you referring to that use p/f for clinical?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Besides CCLCM, which schools have P/F for third and fourth year?

Well I've been accepted to two schools. One uses H/HP/P/F and the other (the one I'm leaning towards) is P/F with %.

This isn't true pass fail then. So, in that case, don't worry about it because the programs will still know your relative standing among your peers. That's the primary thing they care about, because the number of honors given out varies from school to school. My school does have grades for clinicals and sends your grades + the breakdown of grades per rotation, so that the same thing is accomplished, more or less. Go to your preferred school.

This isn't true pass fail then. So, in that case, don't worry about it because the programs will still know your relative standing among your peers. That's the primary thing they care about, because the number of honors given out varies from school to school. My school does have grades for clinicals and sends your grades + the breakdown of grades per rotation, so that the same thing is accomplished, more or less. Go to your preferred school.

Excellent. Thank you.