p/f during diy post bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

struggleboat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took 2 pass/fail grades (covid related) and 2 A's during the first semester of post bacc.
Schedule for 5 courses (17 credits) next semester, is this enough to overlook the 2 p/f grades? Will I need another semester of post bacc classes? Hoping to apply 2021 cycle

Current cgpa w/o pb classes: 3.1
Current sgpa w/o pb classes: 3.1
remedying 16 withdrawals, no upward trend, and overall poor undergrad performance. @Goro

Members don't see this ad.

Are you P/Fing to mask poor grades, or were they mandatory P/Fs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Took 2 pass/fail grades (covid related) and 2 A's during the first semester of post bacc.
Schedule for 5 courses (17 credits) next semester, is this enough to overlook the 2 p/f grades? Will I need another semester of post bacc classes? Hoping to apply 2021 cycle

Current cgpa w/o pb classes: 3.1
Current sgpa w/o pb classes: 3.1
remedying 16 withdrawals, no upward trend, and overall poor undergrad performance.

@Goro no this will not suffice. You can only get so much slack with covid-19. You NEED to show us that you can handle med school, and getting P's doesn't do that.

But what's worse is that you were getting B minuses in your post BAC work. That is telegraphing that you're not going to be able to handle medical school.

In other words if you don't improve massively, you are failing your audition

It's time to call it quits then and pursue another path that isn't medicine regardless of the outcome of next semester? As I cannot afford another semester let alone another year.

It's time to call it quits then and pursue another path that isn't medicine regardless of the outcome of next semester? As I cannot afford another semester let alone another year.
Your call. Best to work for a few years and save up money, and then go in full time for schooling, preferably at an SMP.

Your call. Best to work for a few years and save up money, and then go in full time for schooling, preferably at an SMP.

Would 30 credits spread over the course of next semester and fall 2021 suffice? SMP's are really expensive.

Thank you for your time and input, I appreciate it.

Update:

This semester,
I caught covid and was hospitalized mid-semester, an immediate family member subsequently passed away from covid. I didn't want to withdraw from the full semester because of my history of W's so I elected to take W's in two 1 credit supplemental classes.

Between fall 2020 & this semester, I have 13 credits with P (p/f) grades and 2 W's...as a start to my DIY post-bacc. I haven't reinvented anything. I feel like my entire academic history is a drawn-out essay of excuses with nothing to really show for it. Yes, context is important but one can only imagine how awful this would look to an adcom IF I ever made it to that point.

I am contemplating if it's worth taking out loans for another year of classes/formal SMP or if it's time to look at another career. Please advise @Goro

To recap:

523 (expired, some schools are willing to accept), 3.1 s/c GPA, URM (black)
18 W's
no upward trend, peak mediocrity
6 months of independent research with a poster presentation

Shadowing
Family medicine physician: 30 hours
Pediatrician: 42 hours
Orthopedic surgeon: 60 hours

Non clinical volunteering: 150 hours (best buddies)
Clinical: 1000+ hours (employed as CNA)

Last edited:
Update:

This semester,
I caught covid and was hospitalized mid-semester, an immediate family member subsequently passed away from covid. I didn't want to withdraw from the full semester because of my history of W's so I elected to take W's in two 1 credit supplemental classes.

Between fall 2020 & this semester, I have 13 credits with P (p/f) grades and 2 W's...as a start to my DIY post-bacc. I haven't reinvented anything. I feel like my entire academic history is a drawn-out essay of excuses with nothing to really show for it. Yes, context is important but one can only imagine how awful this would look to an adcom IF I ever made it to that point.

I am contemplating if it's worth taking out loans for another year of classes/formal SMP or if it's time to look at another career. Please advise @Goro
It's not your fault you got sick and Life hit you with a 2x4. So, if you're really up for this game, you got to show extended periods of academic excellence. Thus, I suggest the SMP or the DIY post-bac.

You might want to try working for a year, save up some money, and wait for COVID to be over.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not your fault you got sick and Life hit you with a 2x4. So, if you're really up for this game, you got to show extended periods of academic excellence. Thus, I suggest the SMP or the DIY post-bac.

You might want to try working for a year, save up some money, and wait for COVID to be over.
Sounds like a plan, thank you for the reassurance.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user