P/F, grades and residencies--given undergrad past

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vkrn

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a nontraditional student who was a nonscience major in undergrad. My science grades at the start of undergrad (15 years ago) were poor; my post-bac science grades were excellent (nearly 4.0).

Thoughts on the following questions:

Will going to a Pass/Fail med school hurt me for residency? Do I need to go to a med school that's more graded to prove to residencies that I can hack the material?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think anyone cares what you did in undergrad once it comes to residency. Don't sweat it! Just do well in med school. :wink:

vkrn,

I am in a similar situation that you were at the end of your undergrad. I have few of the pre-med science requirements (just orgo and chem), but my grades were bad. I changed my major and am now finishing up my undergrad in May. But my question is....How do you get into these postbacc programs with a bad cum gpa, finishing up?? I've checked out some of the postbacc sites (like the one Syracuse has on its website)and the AMCAS one, but most of them require a minimum of 3.0-3.3 to be considered for admissions. Should I just go ahead and apply anyway, explaining the circumstances that caused my bad gpa ?(because it was not because of laziness or lack of ability). Or, what's the deal here? i'm feeling discouraged because it seems like they are only looking for people who had excellent grades to begin with, but decided to switch careers. Any help or advice on this would be MUCH MUCH appreciated! (*by anyone who had bad grades in undergrad, but got into a postbacc anyway

Members don't see this ad :)
Once you're in med school, no one will look at your undergrad scores again.