P/F verses A/B/C/D/F

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amy B

I miss my son so much
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering.... Which is the norm to have pass/fail or letter grades in DO schools?

Just returned from my interview at VCOM and was surprised to learn that they give out letter grades rather than pass/pass honors or fail.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

DMU uses straight percentages as well, although a lot of the students and about 25% or more of the faculty would like to see Pass/Fail or my preference High Pass(100-87%)/Pass/Fail

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, the high-pass/pass/fail system is always the best for the students, but it is less and less evident. Some schools still grade basic science years like this (which is how clinicals are usually graded), but I wouldnt be able to guess at who or how many do this.

If im not mistaken...and I hope that im not stating the obvious here...but when it comes time to residencies and what not...everything gets avg.'d out between the different grading systems...i dont know how or the mathmatical involvement...but just like application service that we used balanced different grading systems...the same thing happens at the end of medical school.

Yeah, our school uses a numerical system that means you can rank higher in the class and have a lower GPS than someone below you.

Originally posted by Idiopathic
Yeah, our school uses a numerical system that means you can rank higher in the class and have a lower GPS than someone below you.

How do you get a lower GPS? Are they tracking our locations? ;)

sorry, gotta give you a hard time ;)

LECOM assigns letter grades. 90-100 is an A, 80-89 is a B, 79-70 is a C. Anything below 70 is a failing grade. This applies for both our pre-clinical and our clinical years.

This is what is confusing me. If a school has only PH, P and F how does that compare to a school that has A, B, C, D, F. You can't compare them equally can you? HoosierDO brought up my question. How do they equalize the grades so as to be fair to everyone. I mean Pass Honors and A's are pretty obvious the highest, but what about people who get C's are they compared with P's.

UNE does high pass pass fail also. I have been told it's a little less stressful and doesn't make much of a difference when it comes to residencies. As someone said before its the board scores that matter.