P/F

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by sluox, May 16, 2002.

1. sluox

Physician

Fellow [Any Field]
    I'm wondering what's the ramifications of taking a class P/F. More specifically, a science class. Even more specifically, secondary requirement (biochem, genetics, etc)

My pre-med advisor told me that it's not that terrible, but I just want to make sure.

Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. vyc

vyc Senior Member

well, it's not great but it sure is better than taking a premed req P/F.

med schools do like seeing other science requirements beyond the basic premed ones, if you can manage it.
    it's not such a great sign to take a science class P/F bc they'll probably assume the worst.

4. efex101

efex101 attending
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    I do not think that it will make or break your application, but if you are not sure call some med schools that you are interested in and see what they have to say.

5. Doctora Foxy

Medical Student
    usually you can't take a class pass fail if it's a requirement for anything (i.e. major or graduation requirement)

I don't think it would make a difference otherwise, but I wouldn't take a science class P/F b/c that would look fishy. (Howeve I did consider it once since I'm not a science major)

6. TommyGunn04

Resident [Any Field]
    I wanted to do that too, for biochem. So what I did was wait for senior year to take it, and then I took it during the spring, pass/fail. That way I got to put it on my AMCAS application as a course I was planning to take, but not have to face this difficulty. Would that work for you?

7. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member

I'm taking genetics p/f next semester. I'm a math major/CS minor so it won't count for anything for me. I never really thought about how it would look since I just finished my junior year and I figured med schools wouldn't even see my senior fall grades. Does anyone know if schools often end up seeing senior fall grades?

8. sluox

Physician

Fellow [Any Field]
    TommyGun, how do you actually put classes you plan to take in AMCAS? I couldn't put anything down after the winter quarter

9. TommyGunn04

Resident [Any Field]
    Sluox, maybe they changed things this year. Last year we had to fill in our whole senior year's-worth of coursework. What's stopping you from putting it in?