P&S Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SarahGM

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Holla! :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

I almost applied to Columbia. I wish I had. I was going to make it my safety but I settled for UCSF. Oh well. Now I am paying the consequences.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by doctorcynical
I almost applied to Columbia. I wish I had. I was going to make it my safety but I settled for UCSF. Oh well. Now I am paying the consequences.

Your modesty is asttounding:laugh:

Originally posted by doctorcynical

Are you...errr....somehow related to Squat n' squeeze? ;)

Can we merge Squat n Squeeze and DC into one profile. Id love to meet both of these astounding individuals some day.

Originally posted by Cooper_Wriston
Can we merge Squat n Squeeze and DC into one profile. Id love to meet both of these astounding individuals some day.

Cooper where are you going to school. Maybe we will end up at the same place.

Can we start this thread over?

Originally posted by lyragrl
Can we start this thread over?

Please!

So, I'm one year out of college (Dartmouth) and living in Durham, NC... originally from Syracuse, NY. I work at Duke as a lab tech right now, and also as a waitress part-time in Chapel Hill. It's a busy life, I tell ya.

I love the outdoors, hiking, skiing, etc... but I'm also a fan of the big cities!

I got to know Columbia during an internship in the pediatric ORs there my junior year. It was an amazing experience, and I gotta say that returning there for the interview felt a bit like returning home...

I'm not entirely sure I'll be attending (finances and all), but if the price is at all financially viable, I'll be there. Or maybe I should suck it up and sell my soul? Thoughts?

Also- I'm working on paying off a car right now, and may have it paid off by med school (but will then have almost nothing in savings). Anyone else taking a vehicle to NYC for school, or should I sell it?

I'd take a vehicle for any of the non-Manhattan schools, but not for the Manhattan ones. It costs too much or takes too much effort to keep a car in Manhattan.

I'm from Chicago. I work full time in finance and have been out of school for a while.

Finances are an issue for me too and so is what my husband wants (which is to move to NYC actually). I'm excited about P&S though and will be looking very seriously at the school during the second look visit.

I do not play rugby, by the way. I don't play an instrument. I didn't go to an Ivy League school. I did do a LOT of theater, which I may do again if I go to P&S since they have a theater group!

I'm from Chicago. I work full time in finance and have been out of school for a while.

Finances are an issue for me too and so is what my husband wants (which is to move to NYC actually). I'm excited about P&S though and will be looking very seriously at the school during the second look visit.

I do not play rugby, by the way. I don't play an instrument. I didn't go to an Ivy League school. I did do a LOT of theater, which I may do again if I go to P&S since they have a theater group!

Congratulations on the acceptance to Columbia. You go lyragrl!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
-Harps

Hey thanks Harps! Right back at you on UCLA!

:clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by SarahGM
Holla! :clap:

What's P&S? :confused:

edit: Is it the same thing as Columbia? I didn't apply there since it isn't on AMCAS, so I don't know.

It's the Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons. Hence, P&S.

oooo thanks!

Congratulations, everybody! :clap:

I hope to see you guys next year, and at the second look. If anyone has any questions about P&S, feel free to PM me.

I'm not 100% sure I will be attending P & S. For now, it is my current choice.

( I say that cuz I have an interview in a few weeks at another school that so far, I really like)

Congrats to everyone!

-bonnie

lyra?

Did I meet you at Cornell on 1/27/04 or columbia 12/12/03?

... I remember meeting someone married who was in finance full time .... at one of those places?

I think finances plays a huge part of this entire process, and doesn't always allow people to go to their first choice school.

NYC is a great place, and I wouldn't mind being there next year :)

Cheers.

CCW

[joke]Or Columbia Penis, as it's commonly known. [/joke]

Originally posted by Cooper_Wriston
lyra?

Did I meet you at Cornell on 1/27/04 or columbia 12/12/03?

... I remember meeting someone married who was in finance full time .... at one of those places?

I think finances plays a huge part of this entire process, and doesn't always allow people to go to their first choice school.

NYC is a great place, and I wouldn't mind being there next year :)

Cheers.

CCW

Nope. I got rejected from Cornell :( and I interviewed at Columbia back in November. I must have a twin floating around somewhere...

Yeah, I think finances are going to be key. Some schools will consider me independent of my parents. Others won't. So I'll have to see how the aid thing shakes out.

Maybe we'll see each other at the second look weekend!

Originally posted by missbonnie
I'm not 100% sure I will be attending P & S. For now, it is my current choice.

( I say that cuz I have an interview in a few weeks at another school that so far, I really like)

Congrats to everyone!

-bonnie

yeah I'm in the same boat. not completely "100% sure" but am pretty certain I'll be attending Columbia next year...
An added plus is that my younger brother will be starting Law School at Columbia next year...totally coincidental and unexpected, but awesome nonetheless.

--Rager

Looks like a lot of us are in the same position. If I had to choose right now I'd be going to P&S, but I'm still waiting on FA information and have a couple more non-rolling schools to hear from.

Does anyone know anything about their 2nd look visit?

Yeah I'd like to know about the 2nd look weekend too...

Revisit Weekend is Thursday and Friday April 15th and 16th. Briefly, the revisit consists of staying with a 1st year student, dinner, going out in the NYC, some informational sessions and panels, and some other misc. activities. This is a very brief overview and doesn't get at the essence of why we hold a revisit weekend. Revisit weekend is a time for you to meet more students, meet possible classmates, and get a feel for whether P&S is the best school for you. All that being said, revisit is a lot of fun and I encourage all of you to attend.
If you have any questions just post them and I'll respond.

P&S 2007

Since Colombia is a non AMCAS school does the May 15th deadline for holding multiple acceptances also apply to them. I am currently undecided between two schools and it would be nice to explore all my options before coming to a decision.

I hope this does not hurt anyone's feelings:thumbup:

Great question. How do the dates work for P&S?

CCW

What about you, Dr. Kevin... any word from Cornell????

Originally posted by AlreadyInDebt
What about you, Dr. Kevin... any word from Cornell????

Nah, not yet but this is the Columbia thread :)

Hey Guys

I'm going to P & S for sure. See you guys at 2nd look and in August.

bonnie

What happened to your USC interview, miss bonnie?

What happened to your USC interview, miss bonnie?

I'd pick Columbia over USC for sure, and remember that Miss Bonnie's from New York, so the choice is probably pretty easy to make.

Originally posted by CalBeE
I'd pick Columbia over USC for sure, and remember that Miss Bonnie's from New York, so the choice is probably pretty easy to make.

Yeah, but I'm curious. (read: nosy)

Yeah, but I'm curious. (read: nosy)

Oh I see...I guess all girls are like that...

I'M JUST KIDDING KIDDING :D

Oh I see...I guess all girls are like that...

I'M JUST KIDDING KIDDING :D

You're lucky you live 2000 miles away. :)

You're lucky you live 2000 miles away. :)

Well I wish I'm NOT :( (interpretation: I wanna goto Columbia and move to NYC next year)

Well I wish I'm NOT :( (interpretation: I wanna goto Columbia and move to NYC next year)

I know. I know. I still have hope for you and Columbia. After all, exmike hasn't been wrong yet!

After much thought, I'm going to cancel my USC interview tomorrow via phone.

I was actually really set on moving to Cali, wish I interviewed there sooner. I received my interview invite Dec, but the earliest date was March 9th!

I'll still be in LA tho for a week and now I have extra time to hang out with friends.

bonnie

After much thought, I'm going to cancel my USC interview tomorrow via phone.

I was actually really set on moving to Cali, wish I interviewed there sooner. I received my interview invite Dec, but the earliest date was March 9th!

I'll still be in LA tho for a week and now I have extra time to hang out with friends.

bonnie

It's ironic how we all wanna move AWAY from where we are right now...

It's ironic how we all wanna move AWAY from where we are right now...

Hey guys,
I actually applied only to med schools that are no more than 1 hour away from my house, which is only 10 min away from my undergrad.
I'm not sure if I'll be going to P&S either, not because I have better offers, but I have to decide whether I want to stay in state or not. But I'm definitely excited about P&S and can't wait for the 2nd look weekend to hope to see some potential future classmates, including SDNers.

Congrats on the acceptances.

To the OP: I grew up in the neighborhood so am very familiar with it. I'd probably advise against a car mostly due to the hassles you will encounter in looking for parking space. Unless you're willing to pay to garage your car and that can be about $200 a month. Also, insurance rates in NYC are quite high.

If you're living in Manhattan it's almost always more convenient to go places on public transportation (or cabs) because otherwise you'll just be facing parking/traffic issues wherever you go. It's not really worth the money unless you'll be travelling frequently to areas in Long Island, New Jersey, or Connecticut.

Good luck!

Out of curiosity, if you want to go to NYC so badly next year, why didn't you apply to Sinai or NYU?

Originally posted by SachinG
Out of curiosity, if you want to go to NYC so badly next year, why didn't you apply to Sinai or NYU?

NYU gave me a refund after I handed in the application, saying that they don't accept international students.

Sinai offered me an interview, but I decided not to go, because they don't really accept international students (Accepted none 2 years ago), so I just felt that it was probably not worth the money to make another trip for that.

As for Cornell, I didn't even apply because it's similar to Sinai in the sense that it doesn't really accept international students. The ones they accept probably already have ties to the schools.

Although I got accepted to Einstein, and I want to goto NYC, I just can't see myself choosing UCLA over Einstein.

NYU gave me a refund after I handed in the application, saying that they don't accept international students.

Sinai offered me an interview, but I decided not to go, because they don't really accept international students (Accepted none 2 years ago), so I just felt that it was probably not worth the money to make another trip for that.

As for Cornell, I didn't even apply because it's similar to Sinai in the sense that it doesn't really accept international students. The ones they accept probably already have ties to the schools.

Although I got accepted to Einstein, and I want to goto NYC, I just can't see myself choosing UCLA over Einstein.

Gotcha. Makes sense. Did you mean you can't see yourself choosing Einstein over UCLA?

Originally posted by SachinG
Gotcha. Makes sense. Did you mean you can't see yourself choosing Einstein over UCLA?

Yea...it must be too early in the morning for me.

Yea, as much as location matters to me, Einstein's in the Bronx anyway, and the training at UCLA is really excellent, so I can't just choose based on location and disregard everything else.

Columbia and Einstein are the only two NYC schools that are really receptive to international students, I think.

For those of you who got accepted, I'm curious how many of you sent a letter of intent, letter of interest, or nothing at all?

The tables just turned. I got an interview to Yale via email TODAY.

For their last interview day in March. Yale is/was my #1 dream school. The only school I would choose over Columbia.

i guess i'll know by end of march.

The tables just turned. I got an interview to Yale via email TODAY.

For their last interview day in March. Yale is/was my #1 dream school. The only school I would choose over Columbia.

i guess i'll know by end of march.

WOw that's really unbelievable...!

Originally posted by postbacc
For those of you who got accepted, I'm curious how many of you sent a letter of intent, letter of interest, or nothing at all?

I sent a letter of interest on January 27.

I interviewed on October 24 and sent a thank-you to my interviewer then.