P&S Students... do y'all have cars?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SarahGM

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently living in NC and paying off a vehicle.

I'll probably be able to finish payments by the time I matriculate at P&S, but as a result will have very little in savings.

Is it worth it to have a car to use when I want to get away on weekends, visit the fam in upstate, etc... or is it too much of a hassle? Should I just go ahead and sell and have the extra money in savings?

Members don't see this ad.

Hassle, hassle, hassle!

There's a handful of people here who do own cars, I think, but it's very, very difficult to find and keep a spot. My opinion is that it's not really worth it.

who has cars???? Nobody I know has cars...except maybe this one guy who made a lot of money on Wall Street.

Seriously there is NO need for a car. I think that's a KEY advantage to living in new york. If you factor in the car cost, the rent pretty much makes up for it. So overall the living expenses aren't really all that much higher than the rest of US.

Summary: SELL YOUR CAR

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, out of my class of 150, I think I know 1 person that has a car. I'm sure that there are a few more but that wouldn't change the stats much. Basically, almost no one owns a vehicle.

For most students, parking seems to be the major problem. One guy who had a car for a while told me that his monthly parking garage fee was more than his rent.

When I was there only 1 or 2 people kept cars. The cost of parking was a major problem and if you parked on the street there was the whole alternate side of the street hassle plus break ins. My wife and I managed to keep a car in the towers parking lot for a couple of years because somehow despite the fact we came to P&S together, turned in joint tax forms to financial aid, and had the same address, housing never figured out we were married to each other. I applied for housing and my wife applied for a commuter space and nobody seemed to care for a few years.:hardy:

you're even closer to the subway than we are at Cornell. no need for a car at all.