1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

PA "clinical associate" starts in S. Africa

Discussion in 'Clinicians [ RN / NP / PA ]' started by emedpa, Jul 30, 2011.

1. emedpa

emedpa GlobalDoc
    10+ Year Member

Post Doc
    For the vast majority of South Africa’s population, there is just one practicing doctor for every 4,219 people. In response to this shortage, the South African government created the Clinical Associate profession, which is modeled after America’s Physician Assistant program as well as programs that exist in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda.

wonder if they will let american pa's work there like the positions in england, scotland, australia, canada, and saudi arabia. I could see working for a few years in south africa after I finish my current schooling.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Paseo Del Norte

5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I'm not sure how new this concept is in South Africa however. I worked with South African B-Tech paramedics in Afghanistan a few years ago and this concept was well known to them back then and presumably well before that time.

4. BLKPA2MD

Removed

Pre-Medical
    ...source of info? pls provide website link. Thanx

5. Paseo Del Norte

5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    If you type "South African Clinical Associate" into google, you should find the information you need. It looks as though the clinical associate concept started in 2008 with the first class. So, it is a fairly new concept in South Africa, but many African countries have been using some sort of "physician extender/midlevel provider" to deliver certain types of care.