pa residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toco

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone,

i was reading an older post earlier and came across a thread that discussed pa residency programs. somebody mentioned that he/she agreed with them for many reasons. one of which being that they help getting a job and the like. he/she also made a couple of other good points. the one that stuck out most was that if more pa's did a residency perhaps the profession as a whole would gain an edge. by edge i mean more autonomy and a better public perception, or more credibility if you will. i don't intend for pa's to become md/do or anything. and i don't anticipate that pa's will ever have full autonomy. i just think that with a 1 year residency under one's belt it might become more likely that md's and do's would find it easier to allow their pa to do more things. i'm rushing this email a bit and not sure if it makes total sense or not but i was wondering if anyone agrees. also, does anyone think that more programs will open in the future, is residency already or becoming more the norm.

toco

Members don't see this ad.

for everything you ever wanted to know about pa residencies check out www.appap.org
residencies are quite helpful when working in specialties but are of less benefit in primary care. the trend of pa students being younger and having less prior experience than even 10 yrs ago should make residency more attractive to new grads, but time will tell.

i have another question about residency programs. how competitive are they exactly? is it something that if you want to do one you can or are they so popular and don't have all that many slots that they are reserved for the best of the best? i know that there aren't all that many programs offering a residency so i don't know if their applicant to spot available ratio is very favorable.

thanks again
toco

Some residencies are more competitive than others. there are many surgical programs so if you apply to a bunch you will get a spot. there are very few em/oncology/psych/ortho/peds so they are more competitive.you never know until you apply.....