Silence in ER

5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2013
in northeast pennsylvania
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Hey Everyone!

So, I just got my mcat scores back today and I wanted to make a new what are my chances post. I do know have the MSAR... so that's one.

GPA: 3.5 ( cumulative)/ 3.2 science - strong upward trend - finished last semester with a 3.92

So I have had taken the mcat three times....

1) ( in 2014) PS: 7/ Cr: 12/Bs:10 ( total:29)

2) In January: Ps 8:/ CR: 11/ Bio:10

3) in July C&P: 131 / Cr:128 / Bio:128/ Psych:129

Extracurriculars
1) speech and debate club
2) founded my own club and kept it running for 2 years ( wrote my essay about this)
3) research experience ( 2 summers in 2 different labs)
4) Community volunteering for almost all four years,

I went to an ivy league school ( top 5)

What I wanted to know is this:

Am I anywhere near competitive for Upitt ( do they have any preference for PA applicants)?

What schools do people think I should apply to?

also, how will adcoms look at my previous mcats in relation to my new one?

Anyway,

I'll add that my current list is:

1) Quinnipac

2) TCMC

3) Drexel

I'd like to add:

Albert Einstein
Hofstra
Upitt ( reach)
Upenn ( reach)
Mt. Sinai ( reach)
Mayo

studentdocftw

M4
2+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I'm no more than a fellow pre-med...but I would take off those reaches if you want to save money. Mainly cause they all have AVERAGES of 36+ and 3.8+..both of which you are below several points. Honestly, go for mid/low tier MDs...your MCAT is solid, but that GPA (more specifically sGPA) is going to be a deterrent for top schools. I would invoke @Goro.

OP
Silence in ER

Silence in ER

5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2013
Status
hmm. I'm open to that, though I'd probably keep Pitt and Upenn because ( well one can always get lucky).

Am I still a go for Albert Einstein and Mayo?

studentdocftw

M4
2+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Like I said, I would take them all off if $$$ is an issue...I honestly think the GPA is holding you back.

studentdocftw

M4
2+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Have you looked into Cooper? maybe VT...EVMS...Rush...Tulane..Albany..NYMC...Western Mich...just some that come to mind. Hofstras good to go one would think. The other 5 you "would like to add" are going to be tough. URM status?

studentdocftw

M4
2+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Pitt has no preference...top schools never do...because they know they get the best apps from all over the country.

OP
Silence in ER

Silence in ER

5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2013
Status
Have you looked into Cooper? maybe VT...EVMS...Rush...Tulane..Albany..NYMC...Western Mich...just some that come to mind. Hofstras good to go one would think. The other 5 you "would like to add" are going to be tough. URM status?
go for Hofstra? or don't go for Hofstra?

Yeah, I could add Tulane. But VT and EVMS have strong in state preference, so Idk I would do well there.

studentdocftw

M4
2+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
go for it! VTs last class was 62% OOS, while EVMS had 50% OOS...so not necessarily OOS friendly..but still possible.

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
Add these schools where you have a chance for an interview with your stats:
Jefferson
Temple
Penn State
Hofstra
NYMC
Albany
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane
Forget about any reaches as your GPA is too low for consideration.
You should also seriously consider applying to at least 10 DO schools as their is no guarantee of a MD admission with your GPA.

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
The 3 MCAT attempts and 3.2 science GPA don't make reaches particularly feasible. Forget about your sGPA being clearly below the 10th percentile at schools like Sinai and Pitt, your MCAT score even after 3 attempts is still 2-3 points below their median.

Talk to your pre-health advisor and check your schools stats to see how people prior to you did with similar stats in admission cycles.

I would give consideration to
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
TCMC
WVU

These 6 are really important your odds will clearly be best here. TCMC interviews around 40% of IS applicants. Drexel and Temple 25-30%. Penn State 20%. WVU interviews 20-25% of OOS applicants and you are in regional proximity which is one of the things they definitely consider and can help your cause although your sGPA is quite low for their standards. All these other OOS schools I'm listing don't interview more than 5% or so of OOS applicants.

Hofstra
Quinnipac
Oakland
VCU
NYMC
Tulane
Creighton
Western Michigan
Tufts
Wake Forest
Boston U
Medical College Wisconsin
Rush
Rosalind

Last edited:

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
No clinical volunteering? If not, lethal without it. Ditto shadowing.

Some schools average scores, some take the most recent, others supercore.

I think it's bet to be conservative, given the low total sGPA and 3x MCAT takes. There are schools that reward rising trends, though.

I suggest:
1) Quinnipac
3) Drexel
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
All others of Faha's list
BU
Creighton
Your state schools
U VM
VCU
Wake

Don't count on being lucky. You have better things to do with your app fees than donate to reaches, like take your sweetie out to dinner.

OP
Silence in ER

Silence in ER

5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2013
Status
No clinical volunteering? If not, lethal without it. Ditto shadowing.

Some schools average scores, some take the most recent, others supercore.

I think it's bet to be conservative, given the low total sGPA and 3x MCAT takes. There are schools that reward rising trends, though.

Oh. I didn't add it, but I spent an entire summer just shadowing doctors and can talk about what I learned there in depth, currently working at a physician's office.

And for clinical volunteering, um, does it count that I spent an entire year and a summer working with low income patients in the basement of a hospital, talking to them and helping enroll them in food stamps, voucher programs, and low income housing and etcetera?

I also want to look into becoming a scribe ( this year). I also live right next to TCMC and have some connections there.

So my revised list is as follows

Tufts
Hofstra
Quinnipac
Albert Einstein
Temple
Drexel
Penn State
TCMC
Tulane
Rutgers
GWU
and NYMC?

Is that solid?

OP
Silence in ER

Silence in ER

5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2013
Status
Also, @Goro
one of the rhetorical questions you asked is something I am really not sure of.
>also, how will adcoms look at my previous mcats in relation to my new one?

How are adcoms weighing old scores against new ones?

And how should I address how I brought up P/s from 7 ( on the old mcat) to 97%

What I did: This new mcat has a ton of biochem and I really really like biochem. Also took a princeton review course, and took an entire summer off to study, instead of doing it during the school year ( second 29) or during a summer program when I was working full time ( first mcat).

Is that a good explanation, would there be other things you would want to know? Want me to address?

Lawper

cat in a box
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
Oh. I didn't add it, but I spent an entire summer just shadowing doctors and can talk about what I learned there in depth, currently working at a physician's office.

And for clinical volunteering, um, does it count that I spent an entire year and a summer working with low income patients in the basement of a hospital, talking to them and helping enroll them in food stamps, voucher programs, and low income housing and etcetera?

I also want to look into becoming a scribe ( this year). I also live right next to TCMC and have some connections there.

Tufts
Hofstra
Quinnipac
Albert Einstein
Temple
Drexel
Penn State
TCMC
Tulane
Rutgers
GWU
and NYMC?

Is that solid?
The clinical and shadowing are fine and you have a decent application. The 3.2 sGPA will hold you back from some of the MDs. As far as your MCAT is concerned, the average is the best metric in your case, so apply as if you have a 30-31 MCAT (the 515 is roughly a 33-34).

So you are applying with a LizzyM of 65-66, which may hurt you for even some of the low-tiers you are applying, but your ECs and Top 5 UG degree can make up for it. But it's a good list but be sure to also apply DO.

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student

Tufts
Hofstra
Quinnipac
Albert Einstein
Temple
Drexel
Penn State
TCMC
Tulane
Rutgers
GWU
and NYMC?
Your wasting your time with Rutgers( 98% IS class). Replace with Jefferson. If you are only applying to 14 schools don't waste an app on GW which is so low yield; I'd add wake forest oakland or mcw instead. Also give consideration to WVU

Your list is fine otherwise

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
This is excellent.
I think living next door to TCMC is worth something.
Rising trends are always good. AMCAS suggests that MCAT scores be averaged, but your milage will vary from school to school and interviewer to interviewer,. Sometimes you have to apply with the app you have, warts and all. Pay attention to Grapo's list.

It will take a few cycles until Adcoms get used to the new MCAT. Until then, the gestalt is that we'll rely on percentages.

You don't address any changes in scores unless you're specifically asked, and then, you just tell the truth.

Tufts
Hofstra
Quinnipac
Albert Einstein
Temple
Drexel
Penn State
TCMC
Tulane
Rutgers
GWU
and NYMC?

Is that solid?
Also, @Goro
one of the rhetorical questions you asked is something I am really not sure of.
>also, how will adcoms look at my previous mcats in relation to my new one?

How are adcoms weighing old scores against new ones?

And how should I address how I brought up P/s from 7 ( on the old mcat) to 97%

What I did: This new mcat has a ton of biochem and I really really like biochem. Also took a princeton review course, and took an entire summer off to study, instead of doing it during the school year ( second 29) or during a summer program when I was working full time ( first mcat).

Is that a good explanation, would there be other things you would want to know? Want me to address?

OP
Silence in ER

Silence in ER

5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2013
Status
rutgers is 95 percent in state?
I had no idea. I have the msar but rutgers is so confusing, they have an osteopathic college, a robert wood one, and there is also umdnj. I was only considering gwu because they superscore, will look at wake forest.