PA School with Little HCE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jessjlstar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my predicament: I'm a freshman in college, participate in my college's Honors Program, and work 15-18 hours a week. After one semester (and taking college courses as a high school senior), I have a 4.0 GPA.

My GPA is not something I'm worrying about--it's my HCE. With the challenges of my Honors classes and working, I don't feel that I would be able to get hands-on experience. And starting my junior year, I'll have a HUGE research paper due that's related to my major.

Instead of direct, hands-on experience (like CNA/medical assistant jobs), I think I will only have time for volunteering/shadowing experiences in a hospital and various doctor's offices. Will that hurt me?

Members don't see this ad.

It will significantly limit the # of programs you can apply to. most programs want AT LEAST 500 hrs of paid hce with many quality programs wanting at least 1000.
many applicants work for a year or 2 after college graduation before applying to pa school after taking an emt, medical asst., cna, etc type course to get a certification.

Good file done by someone that's organized.

Attachments

• PA Programs (1).zip
    71.4 KB · Views: 284
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just browsing the forum and not personally interested in PA school since I just completed med school. But I have several friends looking into PA school and I'm wondering if ANY job in the health field counts as HCE? Seems that most do CNA, EMT, med assistant as stated above. But how does it look if you have worked in another job such as EKG tech, nuclear medicine tech, radiography tech, or other health care fields that may be tangentially related? Is that viewed as strong experience? Sorry if that is an ignorant question, and I don't mean to hijack this thread, but thanks for any input.

I'm just browsing the forum and not personally interested in PA school since I just completed med school. But I have several friends looking into PA school and I'm wondering if ANY job in the health field counts as HCE? Seems that most do CNA, EMT, med assistant as stated above. But how does it look if you have worked in another job such as EKG tech, nuclear medicine tech, radiography tech, or other health care fields that may be tangentially related? Is that viewed as strong experience? Sorry if that is an ignorant question, and I don't mean to hijack this thread, but thanks for any input.

It will vary between programs but all of those would be largely accepted(except maybe MA depending on one's duties and the school's preferences).

I am currently a 3rd year at a University. I have not had the chance to get a certification like EMT or CNA. I have had time to volunteer, but many will complete that after getting their undergrad. So I would recommend you get your certification in summer, and start working during break, on weekends. [Something I should have done] but I am going as close as I can get at this moment by volunteering. Best of luck.