PA student - Surgical rotation advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Curious4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting my first rotation in Surgery next week and have no idea what to expect...Any information or helpful hints about what I should expect/what is expected of me as a PA student? How to prepare etc...

Members don't see this ad.

1. Know how to scrub.
2. Don't contaminate sterile fields.
3. Get your own gown and gloves and introduce yourself to the OR staff.
4. Put some protein bars in your pocket. Eating meals is secondary.
5. Read up on your cases the day before. Know the anatomy, indications, common complications and what is actually being done in the procedure.
6. Read, know and love Surgical Recall.

That should get you started. Everyone please feel free to add.

Good advice above.

A good relationship with the circulating and scrub nurses/techs is important. Their worst fear is someone who doesn't know what they're doing coming in and contaminating areas that take a LONG time to set up. Be very aware of what is sterile and what isn't. If you're scrubbed in and inadvertently reach down below your waist or scratch your cheek, immediately ask for a new glove, etc. If you're not doing anything, just stand where you are not in anyone's way but can see well what's going on and keep your hands folded in front of you like you're praying. This will keep you from all evil. :)

Enjoy your rotation! I was amazed how much I loved my surgery rotation. Hope you are, too.