IDFTIGER

10+ Year Member
May 10, 2006
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Sup, any PA's planning on going to med school (DO specifically)? Any advice you guys willing to share? How did being a PA factor into acceptances etc.?

pghyork

Brian
10+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2005
Status
Bandit said:
DO IT! the best thing i have ever done in my life
I was a PA for 4 yrs and I went back to DO school at PCOM. I couldn't imagine not DOing it. I am now going into my second year and loving it!

doct16

15+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2003
Erie, PA
Visit site
Status
I was a PA for 7 years and decided to go back. No regrets! Best thing I could have done. I think the experience helped tremendously both with the interview and acceptance as well as the overall education.
I was a lot less stressed than many of my classmates, thanks to my previous training. I actually had a life throughout these last four years.
Looking forward to internship and residency in EM this coming July.

Bandit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2001
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
when i told my advisor that i had worked 40 hours (ish) per week thru out school she fell off her chair.

even at this level they are so ignorant of the in depth training PAs get. As a matter of fact--after 1st year one of the Dr.s told everyone to "enjoy their summer off, and maybe get a job as a pa!"

I shook my head at this horribly ignorance. when i told some of them that their "almighty" med school was a walk in the park for someone with the PA education and years of ER experience, and I am doing this in my part time --nothing i suggest tho--- they think i am a liar.

for all those in med school that were not PAs--imagine how great it would have been to actually study the indepth path of a disease process with all your time--virtually ignoring all info on clinical presentation//treatment/pharm. because you already were so comfortable with that that the state allows you to practice! How much easier and enjoyable would it have been for you?

to be fair, there are some PAs in my school --mostly the fam med/ortho ones--that are struglin.

SOUNDMAN

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2004
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
PA for 3 years, started my first year at DMU. Very pumped. Things aren't easy by any stretch of the imagination, but it's nice that one has heard the information before, but I guess I'm just one of those lowly orthopedic PA's though. :rolleyes:

Faraaz23

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2005
Status
Medical Student
Bandit said:
when i told my advisor that i had worked 40 hours (ish) per week thru out school she fell off her chair.

even at this level they are so ignorant of the in depth training PAs get. As a matter of fact--after 1st year one of the Dr.s told everyone to "enjoy their summer off, and maybe get a job as a pa!"

I shook my head at this horribly ignorance. when i told some of them that their "almighty" med school was a walk in the park for someone with the PA education and years of ER experience, and I am doing this in my part time --nothing i suggest tho--- they think i am a liar.

for all those in med school that were not PAs--imagine how great it would have been to actually study the indepth path of a disease process with all your time--virtually ignoring all info on clinical presentation//treatment/pharm. because you already were so comfortable with that that the state allows you to practice! How much easier and enjoyable would it have been for you?

to be fair, there are some PAs in my school --mostly the fam med/ortho ones--that are struglin.
I agree that was nothing but ignorance. I also agree it'd be great to be comfortable with a lot of the material already. However, this is all a trade off. Us non-PA's will have a more intense 4 years ahead of us.... but we did not have to go to 2-3 years of PA school, several years of practice, then another 4 of medical school again to do so. I'm not ragging on you by any means and I see the points you're making, but not all of us, given the choice ahead of time, would want to spend several extra years in order for med school to be easier and more enjoyable. I'd rather take the hard 4 years and still be able to start residency when i'm in my 20's.

And questions to the alll the PA ---> DO's... what made you want to do it exactly?

Bandit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2001
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
aaaaahhhh sound man---i was just bustin balls. i know ortho guys that are great in medicine as well.

Hmmm, ever hear of a double blind study?

2 orthopods looking at an ecg!!!! KIDDING!!!!

Faaraz---I totally get thre long road thing. I didnt think it was physically posible---but it both blows and sucks. I am a lover of medicine and life long learner as are many here. I have financial independence and opportunity. Why not go back to school?