PA to MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hyperchondriac

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I'm premed considering PA school, but I'm not so sure if I would want to be a PA long term. My grades aren't med school material, but they're safe for PA and I have the relevant coursework for most PA programs. Anyway, I was wondering what my options are longterm if I were become a PA and want to move on to something else?

Thanks

What is your GPA (if you are okay with stating it)?

if you want to go to medical school, do what you have to do to make it happen. Going through PA school with the ultimate intention of becoming an MD/DO would be a waste of time, money, and a PA school spot. It'd be like taking a road trip to Canada with your ultimate destination being Mexico.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you want to go to medical school, do what you have to do to make it happen. Going through PA school with the ultimate intention of becoming an MD/DO would be a waste of time, money, and a PA school spot. It'd be like taking a road trip to Canada with your ultimate destination being Mexico.

This, and PA schools are getting more competitive so you might not be as safe as you think gpa-wise. The schools around here have an avg. gpa of 3.7. and most require extensive experience working in a healthcare setting before applying so that's something to consider as well.

This, and PA schools are getting more competitive so you might not be as safe as you think gpa-wise. The schools around here have an avg. gpa of 3.7. and most require extensive experience working in a healthcare setting before applying so that's something to consider as well.

Yes but some PA schools calculate GPAs differently giving some students hope. For instance I know of a school that only looks at pre-req grades and such.

But I agree, the average PA school matriculant has a GPA usually competitive enough to be a doctor. Makes you wonder why they don't just become physicians in the first place

Exactly. BTW...getting into many PA schools requires med-school-like GPAs as well.

Why spend $100k becoming a PA if that's not what you want?

What's your sGPA and what's your cGPA? Have you taken the MCAT?

Hi everyone,

I'm premed considering PA school, but I'm not so sure if I would want to be a PA long term. My grades aren't med school material, but they're safe for PA and I have the relevant coursework for most PA programs. Anyway, I was wondering what my options are longterm if I were become a PA and want to move on to something else?

Thanks

PA isn't as "safe" as it once was...it's getting pretty competitive. Also, if you do get your PA and start making 6 figures doing what most consider to be an excellent job, I don't think you're gonna want to go to medical school.

There's a 3 year bridge program for PAs to DO, but that's only a year off of med school, and you still have to do residency.

If you really want to become an MD/DO, you're not going to be satisfied as a physician assistant. You get to do much of the work of an MD/DO, but according to many seasoned PAs, you don't get the respect/autonomy that they do, and the glass ceiling is very noticeable. That may not matter to you when you're a newgrad, but 20 years down the line when you've got the skill level of an average attending and yet are limited by your profession, it'll matter then.

If you can, do a post bacc to raise your GPA, and then study your ass off for the MCAT. If you don't want do be a PA, leave the slot open for someone who does, as the programs are very competitive.

Not only are PA programs becoming more competitive to get into they are also expensive. So why would you want to take on around $100,000 worth of debt if it is something you don't want to do long term. Like mentioned before there is a PA/DO bridge program but it is 3 years med school and then a residency. The question is why put in all the effort, time, and money into something you already don't see yourself doing longterm.