PA to MED. School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scurred09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm finishing my first year in PA school however something happened. I applied to medical school and got in which I had never anticipated. So now I don't know what to do. Will the medical school that accepted me ever find out that I was in PA school if I drop out of PA school? It's so complicated. Anyone out there had this happen to them? Please advise.

Members don't see this ad.

My my, you my friend are in a pickle. You will need to call the medical school that accepted you and ask if you can leave the PA program your on and if you can provide a good arguement why you need to leave. Then you may be able to get in. I recommend a argument of emotional appeal.
However its the norm that you must finish your current degree to be allowed to go into the MD program....

.......However if they don't know that your in the PA program and drop out for the MD program.... Well I don't know.

I'm finishing my first year in PA school however something happened. I applied to medical school and got in which I had never anticipated. So now I don't know what to do. Will the medical school that accepted me ever find out that I was in PA school if I drop out of PA school? It's so complicated. Anyone out there had this happen to them? Please advise.

Lol, how can one get into medical school without expecting it to be possible. You applied after all. Withdraw from PA school and go to the MD school unless someone comes forth with compelling evidence of a policy prohibiting it (this might require us to know your school that accepted you). I wasn't aware that one had to finish their degree to go into medical school, don't a lot of kids do grad school and leave without finishing their MA/PhD? I was under the impression that the BS was all that mattered.

Members don't see this ad :)
Being a Physician was never a childhood dream of mine. As a matter of fact, I didn't have any interest in medicine until 2 years ago when I was 27. I got dumped and my heart got broken. I thought that if I was a Physician and along with the money, medical knowledge and prestige, that no woman would dare to hurt me ever again. So my journey towards becoming a Doc began two years ago. Ok, that wasn't the only reason but here are the rest:

1. Someone very close to me is suffering from a chronic illness and I want to personally be his physician and help him manage/fight it.
2. To make my parent proud and pay them back because they risk their lives to bring us to America. We escaped the killing fields of Cambodia during the mid to late 70s.
3. Although, I am asian, there are very few Cambodian Physicians in America.
4. I like to travel around the world a few times a year and treat diseases.
5. I love beautiful woman.
6. I love cars-Ferarri.
7. $$$
8. I want to have the clinical skills to diagnose and treat ailments/diseases.

And no, I'm not a troll. You guys may not agree with my reasons but these are some of my motivation for wanting to become a Physician.

You've come a long way man...LOL congrats!

I'm not sure it's relavent where you are in your life/training. Just as long as you are POSITIVE you want to give up PA school because once you do, odds are there is no going back. I'm not sure why an MD program would look down on leaving a school to pursue your true hearts content. Best of luck :)