PA vs. MD or DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student128199

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I am currently a college freshman pursuing a career in health care. I am having a hard time deciding which career path to take. I know I still have time to decide but I would like some input as to what to consider when choosing my career. I am deciding between becoming a doctor or physician's assistant. I have always, always wanted to become a mother and want to give as much time to my kids as possible when the time comes. That being said, I also want to get the most out of my career as well. I am a natural leader, and I am concerned that if I chose PA I will not have the authority I desire. I am so torn on what to pick. I would love some thoughts and input!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all!

I am currently a college freshman pursuing a career in health care. I am having a hard time deciding which career path to take. I know I still have time to decide but I would like some input as to what to consider when choosing my career. I am deciding between becoming a doctor or physician's assistant. I have always, always wanted to become a mother and want to give as much time to my kids as possible when the time comes. That being said, I also want to get the most out of my career as well. I am a natural leader, and I am concerned that if I chose PA I will not have the authority I desire. I am so torn on what to pick. I would love some thoughts and input!

Its Physician Assistant, no 's (I know most PA's get riled by this).

And plenty of moms become doctors, but you're right, you'll probably not see your kids as much if you were a doctor instead of a PA.

Though I never understand how people can seek such life altering advice on an anonymous message board,

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all!

If you have to do PA or MD, then do PA and find something else to lead/do with your time. First, you will make a damn good PA. Second, you will be able to make the time for your kids.

You can be a physician parent. Scratch that... you can be a physician and great parent there are tons of examples all around. But, if your personal fulfillment depends on you spending a lot of time on and focusing on your children, becoming a physician is far from desirable.

No. College freshman--want to be independent and not limited in your scope of practice--do not become a PA.
Work hard, learn well, and go to medical school.
You have plenty of years to sort out the physician vs working parent issue. Personally I have never found the time to have kids but motherhood was not important to me. Being a great physician IS important to me, just as being a fantastic PA was important to me. But don't plan on doing both--my path was longer and more expensive than if I had just gone to medical school directly.
I have taught and counseled many bright young women in PA school. Most of them could easily have become physicians. Most of them chose PA instead for "lifestyle" reasons. Most are happy but some (the ones who KNEW they wanted independence and couldn't be under a supervising physician's thumb for the duration of their careers) have really struggled as PAs. I saw that coming.
Good luck :)

No. College freshman--want to be independent and not limited in your scope of practice--do not become a PA.
Work hard, learn well, and go to medical school.
You have plenty of years to sort out the physician vs working parent issue. Personally I have never found the time to have kids but motherhood was not important to me. Being a great physician IS important to me, just as being a fantastic PA was important to me. But don't plan on doing both--my path was longer and more expensive than if I had just gone to medical school directly.
I have taught and counseled many bright young women in PA school. Most of them could easily have become physicians. Most of them chose PA instead for "lifestyle" reasons. Most are happy but some (the ones who KNEW they wanted independence and couldn't be under a supervising physician's thumb for the duration of their careers) have really struggled as PAs. I saw that coming.
Good luck :)

This person has done both, I don't know if there could be better advice than this, OP.

You are years out from applying. Take each step as it comes to you.

Peace of advice: Don't come to SDN and ask for help to decide between MD/DO and anything else. You will get torn up. With that said, most PA's are very happy, content with their profession/role, and have much more time to do things outside of medicine. Plus, they get to switch fields every 5 years without having to redo a residency! Less debt, more free time, more flexibility, unlimited need, expanding scope of practice (we all know this is coming)....