PA with Bachelor's Yet...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vandyam

Vulnera Sanentur
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to start medical school in August and my husband in interested in doing a PA program once we move for my school. However, I know little about this and am looking for some guidance. I have done some research online, but his situation is a little unique. Any guidance would be appreciated.

First, he is nontrad - 32 - and does not have his bachelor's degree. He has taken like 150 credit hours, but at several different schools (he has moved a lot). So, while he has taken most of the prereqs for PA school, and has enough credits to have a degree, he does not actually have one.

The biggest factor here is money. They are cutting him off for loan money for his bachelor's because he has been working towards it for ~6 years. He only has one more semester that he can borrow federal money for this degree. We are about to move again and one semester will not be enough time for him to earn a degree at any school.

I have read online that there are different types of PAs...Associates, Bachelors, and Masters. Most of the programs I have been looking into for him are Masters programs. I do not understand the difference between these, however. Is there a more limited scope of practice for ass/bachelor's than for masters?

Ideally, he would like to do a type of "bridge" where he did one more year of undergrad and then the 2 years of graduate school and he would have his MPA. Is this possible? Does such a type of program exist? Any guidance at all would be excellent. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: He has worked as an EMT and CNA in healthcare for 4 years now, full time. He has trauma ICU, Adult ED, and Peds ED experience. His GPA is 3.4-3.5, so these things are not a concern.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am about to start medical school in August and my husband in interested in doing a PA program once we move for my school. However, I know little about this and am looking for some guidance. I have done some research online, but his situation is a little unique. Any guidance would be appreciated.

First, he is nontrad - 32 - and does not have his bachelor's degree. He has taken like 150 credit hours, but at several different schools (he has moved a lot). So, while he has taken most of the prereqs for PA school, and has enough credits to have a degree, he does not actually have one.

The biggest factor here is money. They are cutting him off for loan money for his bachelor's because he has been working towards it for ~6 years. He only has one more semester that he can borrow federal money for this degree. We are about to move again and one semester will not be enough time for him to earn a degree at any school.

I have read online that there are different types of PAs...Associates, Bachelors, and Masters. Most of the programs I have been looking into for him are Masters programs. I do not understand the difference between these, however. Is there a more limited scope of practice for ass/bachelor's than for masters?

Ideally, he would like to do a type of "bridge" where he did one more year of undergrad and then the 2 years of graduate school and he would have his MPA. Is this possible? Does such a type of program exist? Any guidance at all would be excellent. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: He has worked as an EMT and CNA in healthcare for 4 years now, full time. He has trauma ICU, Adult ED, and Peds ED experience. His GPA is 3.4-3.5, so these things are not a concern.

1.)Experience-He will get interviews just a matter of where....
2.)Associates degrees-few if i remember correctly they are in FL or Cali which would require him to move again. So why not stay and finish his degree where he is currently
3.)Bachelor's degree-also dying. Most people that apply to these programs already have a career and a degree previously. Also some states require at least a master's to work as a pa now(ohio and MS) so I would get a MS first instead of a bachelors. Also he won't be able to borrow federal money for this degree or an associates due to the hour limit right?
4.)Master's degree-again competitive. I would assume he would be eligible for loan money. Also this would be the way to go instead of having to go back and pay for a another degree later.......
5.)Competition at PA schools can be higher than medical school in some instances. Please take that into consideration as well. I think your husband will get in somewhere(he might have to move for a year until rotations if you can deal with that) and be prepared to answer a lot of questions about why so many moves when he gets interview invites. If they are not valid then be prepared to see some rejections from some programs due to lack of "want" or being not "committed" or whatever generic excuse they come up with.

Lastly-I don't know if they charge OOS fees for the PA programs in Georgia now. If he applies he might want to gain residency there first also from your username I am assuming your in TN so be prepared for the questions of why didn't he apply to TN schools if he doesn't apply to those.

Sorry if it appears if i am rambling but in class. I can say I have been down both paths(Med. school and PA) and can answer questions as needed.

The 150% rule for financial aid is appealable at some universities.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
1.)Experience-He will get interviews just a matter of where....
2.)Associates degrees-few if i remember correctly they are in FL or Cali which would require him to move again. So why not stay and finish his degree where he is currently
3.)Bachelor's degree-also dying. Most people that apply to these programs already have a career and a degree previously. Also some states require at least a master's to work as a pa now(ohio and MS) so I would get a MS first instead of a bachelors. Also he won't be able to borrow federal money for this degree or an associates due to the hour limit right?
4.)Master's degree-again competitive. I would assume he would be eligible for loan money. Also this would be the way to go instead of having to go back and pay for a another degree later.......
5.)Competition at PA schools can be higher than medical school in some instances. Please take that into consideration as well. I think your husband will get in somewhere(he might have to move for a year until rotations if you can deal with that) and be prepared to answer a lot of questions about why so many moves when he gets interview invites. If they are not valid then be prepared to see some rejections from some programs due to lack of "want" or being not "committed" or whatever generic excuse they come up with.

Lastly-I don't know if they charge OOS fees for the PA programs in Georgia now. If he applies he might want to gain residency there first also from your username I am assuming your in TN so be prepared for the questions of why didn't he apply to TN schools if he doesn't apply to those.

Sorry if it appears if i am rambling but in class. I can say I have been down both paths(Med. school and PA) and can answer questions as needed.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, we currently live in TN and are moving to GA for me to attend medical school, so he would have to get into a PA program in ATL. There are only a couple, so his chances will be slim. My main concern is....can he apply to these Masters PA programs without a BA/BS degree? Or, will he have to find a way to complete his BS before being able to matriculate into a PA program?

If he is required to have a bachelor's ahead of time, do "bridge" programs exist where he can finish up his last bit of his BS and then go straight into their MPA?

We are driving down to get more info in Feb (since it seems impossible to get people on the phone these days), but I was hoping to know what to expect now. Thanks again!

Does he need to be a PA? I know some chiropractors (no nursing background) who did a combined BSN/NP program online and did their rotations in their hometown by finding their own preceptors. The program is somewhere in Alabama.

I think this one's it http://www.southalabama.edu/nursing/msn.html

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. Yes, we currently live in TN and are moving to GA for me to attend medical school, so he would have to get into a PA program in ATL. There are only a couple, so his chances will be slim. My main concern is....can he apply to these Masters PA programs without a BA/BS degree? Or, will he have to find a way to complete his BS before being able to matriculate into a PA program?

If he is required to have a bachelor's ahead of time, do "bridge" programs exist where he can finish up his last bit of his BS and then go straight into their MPA?

We are driving down to get more info in Feb (since it seems impossible to get people on the phone these days), but I was hoping to know what to expect now. Thanks again!

I know that some of the PA schools will let you apply if you have 90hrs(unless this has changed) if you didn't have a bachelors. Also I would say his chances without a BA/BS are slim(very). I would see if the GRE is a requirement and see how he does on that as well......also be prepared to explain about the numerous schools.

Also to the poster above-Chiros getting a BS/NP seems like cheap way out to me(personally dislike the Direct entry NP programs). Will they still let their patient's call them "doctor" now? Will they try to get unrestricted priveleges at hospitals? Seems like a confusing situation to patients as well as other heatlhcare providers as well.....also if he does go that route I know in some states if you do only Online NP work you cannot do Emergency Medicine(which I was told by an applicant that would have applied to NP school online but shied away form it due to wanting to do ER)

If it were me and my S.O. I would just say its only a year and go back to PA school in my home state and set up rotations there due to increase COA as well as having to go against all of that states residents. Poster if you have any more questions you can PM because if I get to specific I will probably give away my idenity.

PS-Looking at your post history you said your husband is working on his masters and wanted to go into peds after finishing med. school I am confused?

Last edited:
I personally don't see a difference between NP and PA. If all your husband wants is to graduate and be able to prescribe meds, online BSN/NP is an easier/more convenient way in my opinion. If he can't work in an ED, go urgent care, if he still wants to be a doc, I bet you can influence to take him in, seen several cases of this at my school.

I personally don't see a difference between NP and PA. If all your husband wants is to graduate and be able to prescribe meds, online BSN/NP is an easier/more convenient way in my opinion. If he can't work in an ED, go urgent care, if he still wants to be a doc, I bet you can influence to take him in, seen several cases of this at my school.

The training models are totally different->Nursing model vs. Medical model but reach the same goal. I am just a little shocked as a medical student you are pushing for someone to learn how to tx and dx via online with rx authority being granted.

As for your other suggestion, I highly doubt that they will take him in based on wife influence unless someone is a higher up in her family or making massive donations to the school lol.