1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Pacific NWU - Osteopathy 2007

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by businessguy, Dec 21, 2005.

1. businessguy

businessguy That's gold Jerry, Gold!
    5+ Year Member

Hello,

I have searched for threads regarding the opening of this school to no avail. Does anyone have any information other than what is provided on their website?

http://www.pnuhs.org/index.htm

Regards,

businessguy

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ihopetobeado

ihopetobeado Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I actually emailed the CEO of PNUHS. He replied that because PNUHS hasn't yet been accredited by the American Osteopathic Association’s Commission on Osteopathic Accreditation (AOA COCA) and the State of Washington Higher Education Committee, PNUHS is prohibited from actively recruiting a new medcial school class and, thus, cannot publish the school's admissions criteria on the their website. I think the timetable is to release something around late winter or early spring of 2006 to seat a class by fall of 2007.

4. jpwa1988

jpwa1988 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

The Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences is still in the process of raising twenty million dollars to build the new school. In addition, accreditation by both the American Osteopathic Association and the State of Washington can be rather time consuming. (Assuming they can raise the $$$$). Don’t be surprised if the first entering class is beyond 2007.

The school also needs to make sure their third and forth year clerkships are secure. The University of Washington School of Medicine pretty much has a monopoly on rotation sites in the state. The new school may have to set up rotations in rural locations or use a perceptorship model.

I really hope the new school works out! The northwest could sure use it! :)
    I’m just a bit skeptical because for years there have been numerous organizations claiming to be building a new medical school here in Washington. The current organization in Yakima seems to be well organized so I hope it works out!

5. Doctor Bagel

Doctor Bagel so cheap and juicy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    me, too. we definitely have a shortage of schools in this region and a shortage of doctors outside of the major cities.

6. FizbanZymogen

FizbanZymogen Guitar Hero Champion
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Actually I live here in ellensburg and have spoken personally with a few individuals setting up the admissions process. They said in all honesty to plan on a 2008 admissions schedule. 2007 is just to soon with so much money left to raise etc. I am excited but also a little concerned. A lot of Dr.'s I have spoken with in the area are concerned with how effective this school will be. I would stay away from it for the first couple of years until things get ironed out (imagine competing for residencies when you have graduated from a school with no reputation whatsoever). Good luck eeryone and I wish the school the best becuase Washington and the Northwest really does need it!

7. subtle1epiphany

subtle1epiphany Junior Faculty
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I've been keeping an eye on this school as well. I have a great interest in living in the area, or at least in the region, so I'm really hoping everything works out well.
    It seems that once they raise the money, the biggest hurdle will be the acquisition of rotation sites and affiliations with the local hospitals. Both UW and OHSU are very large and respected institutions with a great history and track record of putting out superb primary care physicians. (yup, hero-worship ;) ) The new osteopathic school will have to work hard to make it. I really hope they work with the two allopathic schools, rather than attempting to get around them. Especially since I'd like to be on faculty for the new school and likely OHSU in the future.
    It's a wonderful idea for a new school whose time is well past due. I wish them all the luck! :luck: :D