Pacific Pre-Dental Clinical Sim Course April 26/27

N

nwdmd

I'm excited, only one week away!

Any other SDNers going?

Attire = dress shirt and slacks?

Rumor has it Armorshell will be a "row instructor"... so bring your cameras.

armorshell

One Man Freak Show
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2006
Status
Non-Student
Rumor? What rumor, you can bet I'm going to be a row instructor, as well as lecturing you young whippersnappers on how to do a posterior composite.

bjhath

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
Bay Area
Status
Dentist
I'll be there and am excited as well. I'd say yes to dress shirt and slacks, maybe a tie as well.

Went to Pride Day today, and all I can say is WOW. It was a very well organized, informative, and motivaitional presentation of the UOP program.

Now, if I can just get in...

Brian

About the Ads

armorshell

One Man Freak Show
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2006
Status
Non-Student
As far as dress code, my opinion would be that this is a pre-clinical simulation, and if you're going to role play the part of the student you may as well go for our dress as well, which would mean shirt/tie/slacks. I would necessarily go so far as a suit jacket though.

djeffreyt

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
Dallas
Status
Dentist
As far as dress code, my opinion would be that this is a pre-clinical simulation, and if you're going to role play the part of the student you may as well go for our dress as well, which would mean shirt/tie/slacks. I would necessarily go so far as a suit jacket though.
You'll be wearing gowns that pretty much cover up all your clothing. Definitely for guys, shirt and tie is a good idea...a suit jacket would need to be taken off during your time in the sim lab, so you might as well not wear one.

Girls..."Women must wear either a skirt or slacks and blouse or a dress. Hosiery must be worn with skirts and dresses, and socks or hosiery must be worn with slacks. Dress shoes/dress boots must be worn. Trousers/slacks must reach the ankle. Skirts and dresses must approximate the knees in length or fall below them. Culottes which conform to the skirt/dress length standard are acceptable."

-from out code of professional attire handouts.

Hysteria24

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2002
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yup... went last year, and if you are not at least dressed in "business cas" you'll stick out a bit.

toothy2112

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2006
Louisiana
Status
Pre-Dental
Yup... went last year, and if you are not at least dressed in "business cas" you'll stick out a bit.

Yea I went last year too, jeans and tees not a good idea. I think too dressy prob not comfy since you will be working. But then again, the dean and other important people will be there so you do want to look snazzy!:thumbup:

bjhath

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
Bay Area
Status
Dentist
how does one go about registering for this? is it open for everyone? =(
Go to the UOP website -> current news -> School of Dentistry events

It is open to anyone willing to pay the registration fee.

Unfortunately the course is full this year. Look for it next year. There is a 1 week window to register and it is limited to 60 students. Attendees are picked by lottery from all of the registrants. Good luck.

Brian

Hysteria24

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2002
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Unfortunately the course is full this year. Look for it next year. There is a 1 week window to register and it is limited to 60 students. Attendees are picked by lottery from all of the registrants. Good luck.
I called last year to register only seconds after the window opened and all I got was a message saying they were extremely busy and to hang up and try again. I felt like I was trying to win concert tickets from a radio station! After 30 min I gave up. Called back in an hour or two later, finally got through, but they were already full.

My saving grace: I had mailed in a registration form and check 2 weeks earlier to get there before the window opened.

So if you want in next year, keep an eye out for the dates and register immediately!

samdds

I have faith in myself
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Status
Dentist
Well, I don't know about last year, but this year, they have this lottery system. It doesn't matter if you turn it in the first day or not. It is all based on your luck.

Hysteria24

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2002
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Well, I don't know about last year, but this year, they have this lottery system. It doesn't matter if you turn it in the first day or not. It is all based on your luck.
That makes sense. There were probably many other people in my situation, and many more angry ones who we left out.

armorshell

One Man Freak Show
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2006
Status
Non-Student
We just got our assigned pre-dents. Mine are from UCLA and San Jose State. Anybody from the board? Anyone want me to look up their assigned instructor?

bjhath

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
Bay Area
Status
Dentist
It looks like dress is business casual. I just received the following email:

Hi,

The attire for the course is business casual. Jeans are fine as long as they are in good condition. We want you to be comfortable. No sweats, flip flops, shorts, etc.

We will provide you with a booklet that will include all the lectures. This is yours to keep. You can write notes in here during the lectures. If not, I do suggest you bring a notepad and pen.

I will see you this Saturday at 8am. Registration is on the 5th floor. If you forget, there will be signs posted near the elevators.

Thank you,
Janelle Victorio
See you all this weekend.

Enjoy,

Brian

About the Ads