Pacific PsyD vs. Pepperdine MFT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skvader

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, I would like to thank everyone who has helped me with my decision-making process thus far. =) I appreciate your honest insight and opinions - I would prefer the harsh realities vs. sugar-coated truths. Second, I am aware that there is a thread about Pacific vs. Pepperdine, but that thread was made 2 years ago and the circumstances were different... so please don't tell me to do a thread search, I already did! =P

Okay, so here's my dilemma. I will be completing my bachelors degree in psychology in June. I have been accepted to Pacific University's PsyD program, as well as Pepperdine University's MFT program (daytime format, Malibu campus).

I have lived in southern California my entire life, and would like to stay in California (despite the crappy job market). I don't need a six-figure salary, but I don't want to be broke, either. I've done some research, and I've concluded that a PsyD would allow me to make more money in the long run (approx. $20,000+ more per year in California), but with a masters degree, I could start working 2-3 years sooner and pay $100,000+ less for my degree (so no student loans/debt).

I want to do therapy... and nothing else. I have no interest in teaching or research. So some people have told me that a PsyD would be a waste of my time, as I would be competing with MFT/MSW and would be "overqualified". However, I have also been told that having an advanced degree could put me at an advantage over someone with a masters degree... so the opinions regarding this point seem to differ. It seems like a lose-lose situation: either you have a doctorate degree and have an underpaying job, or you have a masters degree and struggle to find a job?

I would also like to hear more about both programs. I have been to Pacific University, and overall, I was impressed with the program; however, I am a bit concerned about the large number of students they accept every year (50-60) and their APA placement rates (60-75%, depending on the year). I have not had the opportunity to visit Pepperdine yet, but I have heard good things about the program.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a bit concerned about the large number of students they accept every year (50-60) and their APA placement rates (60-75%, depending on the year).

I'm not sure whether I have the right program, but this page seems to indicate that the APA internship rates for Pacific are lower than what you have here. http://www.pacificu.edu/spp/program_stats.cfm . The best they have been able to attain in the past 7 years has been 66%, but in their worst year they only placed 39%.

I think that if you are only interested in doing therapy, you shouldn't pursue a doctorate. It will save you time and money. Someone with a doctoral degree should be competent in research, assessment, and theory. Unless you have an interest in learning all that, it's not a good fit for your goals.

I'm not sure whether I have the right program, but this page seems to indicate that the APA internship rates for Pacific are lower than what you have here. http://www.pacificu.edu/spp/program_stats.cfm . The best they have been able to attain in the past 7 years has been 66%, but in their worst year they only placed 39%.

I think that if you are only interested in doing therapy, you shouldn't pursue a doctorate. It will save you time and money. Someone with a doctoral degree should be competent in research, assessment, and theory. Unless you have an interest in learning all that, it's not a good fit for your goals.

I agree. An additional point to keep in mind is that by desiring to only remain in California for your training, you significantly limit yourself when it comes to internship placement and securing your post-doctoral supervision for licensure. I would imagine some of that is captured by Pacific's internship placement rates, but your odds of matching would likely be even lower than those of the program as a whole.

If your ONLY plan is to conduct psychotherapy, go for the MFT training. As you've said, it'll save you quite a bit of money in tuition, and the positions to which you'd be applying will be geared toward master's-level practitioners anyway (i.e., those geared toward, and willing to pay more for, a doctoral-level provider would likely include responsibilities in which you don't seem interested, such as research, teaching/supervision, and program evaluation).

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. An additional point to keep in mind is that by desiring to only remain in California for your training, you significantly limit yourself when it comes to internship placement and securing your post-doctoral supervision for licensure. I would imagine some of that is captured by Pacific's internship placement rates, but your odds of matching would likely be even lower than those of the program as a whole.

If your ONLY plan is to conduct psychotherapy, go for the MFT training. As you've said, it'll save you quite a bit of money in tuition, and the positions to which you'd be applying will be geared toward master's-level practitioners anyway (i.e., those geared toward, and willing to pay more for, a doctoral-level provider would likely include responsibilities in which you don't seem interested, such as research, teaching/supervision, and program evaluation).

Personally, I'd recommend an LCSW program with a reputation for quality clinical training. I don't personally have high regard for the general quality of MFT training.

I'd look at the numbers of licensed professionals as well regarding job prospects. California has some 30,000 MFTs, 18,000 social workers, and 17, 000 psychologists (about 5000 of those are in LA and Orange county). Paid employment in social work is definitely easier to find and with the right clinical practicums you may find you can do the work you want to do with less debt and sooner. There is even a state program with tuition/stipend support of $18.500 for your second year if you are interested in child or elder welfare and meet certain qualifications. Each of the 18 state approved schools can participate in this program.

Personally, I'd recommend an LCSW program with a reputation for quality clinical training. I don't personally have high regard for the general quality of MFT training.

Excellent suggestion. I personally have no direct experience with, or knowledge of, the quality of MFT training, so I'll defer to your judgment there.

Excellent suggestion. I personally have no direct experience with, or knowledge of, the quality of MFT training, so I'll defer to your judgment there.

Purely anecdotal on my part. All of the MFTs I've dealt with seem to make s*** up as they go along (or worse), while the LCSWs I've worked with (and in one case, got therapy from) for the most part are professionals and seem to know what they're doing. For what that's worth.

Hey all,
I'd just like to put in my 2 cents. I'm currently a first-year at Pacific. I've got no strong interest in research or assessment, I'm here to do therapy. I think there are a lot of students here for the same reasons as well. I think it's nice to have the flexibility of being able to do other things someday(like assessment.)

Anyway, given my interests etc., I'm happy with this program. Feel free to message me with any specific questions, etc.

I agree that if you want to do therapy only, a PsyD will be a waste. It is a lot of time, money (Pacific is unfunded I think), and hassle with internship and postdoc to basically end up doing what you could have done with a master's.

I've been accepted to Pacific as well... not sure what I am going to do yet... deadline in a couple days! Not sure if the cost is worth it for me.