Pacific Time-Zone Medical Schools that accept non-residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marvinGardens

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an Midwest resident and want to go to medical school in a state in the Pacific time-zone (long story as to why). However, most California schools are basically impossible to get into for non-residents, as is U. of Washington. The only school I've come across is U. of OR Health and Sciences, which is composed of 30% out-of-state students (although, out of 3700 out-of-state applications, they take about 40 of them so it's still very very difficult).

Does anyone know of any medical schools in that time zone that accept a decent number of out-of-staters?

How about mountain time medical schools?

Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

I am an Midwest resident and want to go to medical school in a state in the Pacific time-zone (long story as to why). However, most California schools are basically impossible to get into for non-residents, as is U. of Washington. The only school I've come across is U. of OR Health and Sciences, which is composed of 30% out-of-state students (although, out of 3700 out-of-state applications, they take about 40 of them so it's still very very difficult).

Does anyone know of any medical schools in that time zone that accept a decent number of out-of-staters?

Thanks for any input!

OHSU is probably the best shot for you, as you pointed out. UW is all but impossible nless you're a URM. You could still try some schools in Cali though. Suprisingly, go for UCLA and UCSF as they're actually more welcoming of OOS students. Also, USC is private so not as obligated to Californians. But why the time zone, and not the West coast in general?

OHSU is probably the best shot for you, as you pointed out. UW is all but impossible nless you're a URM. You could still try some schools in Cali though. Suprisingly, go for UCLA and UCSF as they're actually more welcoming of OOS students. Also, USC is private so not as obligated to Californians. But why the time zone, and not the West coast in general?

don't forget loma linda....

Members don't see this ad :)

I don't know why people think UCSF and UCLA is easy for OOS (I know they specify they don't give preference to CA applicants - I think they should declare themselves as private schools and stop getting money from the state), unless your are URM or you have spectacular stats and EC, UCSF and UCLA is just as difficult as any top schools.

I don't know why people think UCSF and UCLA is easy for OOS (I know they specify they don't give preference to CA applicants - I think they should declare themselves as private schools and stop getting money from the state), unless your are URM or you have spectacular stats and EC, UCSF and UCLA is just as difficult as any top schools.

I have OOS friends who at least got interviews or acceptances at UCSF and UCLA, but didn't hear a peep from the likes of Davis or Irvine. I in no way meant it was easy, but at least likely than some others.

Are you sure about that? I thought that they had simply decided to dedicate fewer spots to IS students than they used to, but still the majority. I have no source for this, but it was the consensus amongst interviewees when I was there, and I feel as though I've read it somewhere. In the previous edition of the US-News guide (the book, not the online service, so the information it contained was from 2004, I believe) UCSF was still at 96% in-state students. Of course, that could have changed very drastically in the last couple of years.

Are you sure about that? I thought that they had simply decided to dedicate fewer spots to IS students than they used to, but still the majority. I have no source for this, but it was the consensus amongst interviewees when I was there, and I feel as though I've read it somewhere. In the previous edition of the US-News guide (the book, not the online service, so the information it contained was from 2004, I believe) UCSF was still at 96% in-state students. Of course, that could have changed very drastically in the last couple of years.

UCLA admissions webpage claims no preference:
Residence: No preference is given to state of residence. However many applicants come from California. Acceptees from California are more likely to matriculate at UCLA. Out of 145 freshman, 85 percent were from California.

UCSF claims they give preference to CA residents:
Yes. The Committee on Admissions gives preference to California residents, who make up about 80 percent of the entering class annually.

Supposedly only 35% of CA applicants get into a CA school (including private), you think the other 65% are so bad that UCLA and UCSF have to look at OOS?

UCLA admissions webpage claims no preference:
Residence: No preference is given to state of residence. However many applicants come from California. Acceptees from California are more likely to matriculate at UCLA. Out of 145 freshman, 85 percent were from California.

UCSF claims they give preference to CA residents:
Yes. The Committee on Admissions gives preference to California residents, who make up about 80 percent of the entering class annually.

Supposedly only 35% of CA applicants get into a CA school (including private), you think the other 65% are so bad that UCLA and UCSF have to look at OOS?

That first statistic is an interesting one. What is your source for it? I don't dispute it, mind you; I'm just curious. Actually, a far lower percentage of state residents in my own state get an in-state spot. But we have only one state school, and no private schools. C'est la vie.

As far as your question, no, I don't think that they have to look outside of California, nor should they. I think that all state schools should give overwhelming preference to residents of their own state, except in cases of states whose populations are too small to provide enough qualified applicants, and states that have special agreements with neighboring states that don't have their own med school (as is the case with certain northeast and northwest schools). State schools should generally accept only a few OOS applicants to make up for very specific deficiencies in their student body. They should not try to compete with private schools for students from all over the country. It isn't their role.

i'm OOS in CA; UCSF didn't interview me, but UCB-UCSF JMP did. i'm guessing that has to do with being OOS -- since JMP is such a unique program, maybe it has less IS preference? Anyway, california's really nice to its OOSers once we get there -- you can get CA residence by M2.

Thanks for any input!

I've never heard of anyone aiming for a specific timezone....what's the deal?

The West coast is extremely hard as far as med school acceptances. Mountain time zone schools tend to be instate centered as well. The DO schools around these time zones will give you a much better shot since they are all private (and accept lower MCAT/GPA than their MD counterpart). Otherwise, the midwest is really your best bet for med school. Remember, there are west coasters who end up having to come to the midwest for med school.

Moving to CA for a year to establish residency is an interesting idea. Will I be considered a resident for the Sept 2008 class if I live there between Aug 2007 to Sept 2008? Or do I have to live there a year before the date I submit an application?

U. of Cali website states:
"To be considered a California resident for purposes of fees, an out-of-state student must have lived in California for more than one year preceding the residence determination date..."

Do you guys know when the *residence determination date* is? Is it the date you apply or the date you begin school?

Thanks for all the input by the way. The reason I'm looking at the Pacific time-zone is because one way for me to offset some of the cost of medical school may be to work 930 - 1130 am Eastern Time, but if I do that on the east coast or even midwest, I'll have to skip some morning classes.