Pacific/UCSF dental students - Jobs in the Bay area?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesOSU

Ohio State 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm currently a D1 at Ohio State and am trying to get a plan for my future. For reasons not worth going into depth, I am looking at eventually settling and practicing near San Francisco. I'm thinking anywhere within ~1 hour to the international airport. What are you guys hearing about opportunities to practice in the area after you graduate? I know it's really saturated, but is the job market really sparse right now. Any idea on the salary range in the area, esp South Bay area? As long as I can still make a decent living and live a comfortable life I will be happy. I know the cost of the living is really high, but certainly a dentist can do fine there, other people making less than dentists certainly live there, right?! South Bay can't be full of doctors and CEOs. I'm considering specializing, maybe that would give me a better shot at being successful in the bay area, most likely in Pedo or Endo (haven't decided yet which one I'm most interested in).

Any comments would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I'm currently a D1 at Ohio State and am trying to get a plan for my future. For reasons not worth going into depth, I am looking at eventually settling and practicing near San Francisco. I'm thinking anywhere within ~1 hour to the international airport. What are you guys hearing about opportunities to practice in the area after you graduate? I know it's really saturated, but is the job market really sparse right now. Any idea on the salary range in the area, esp South Bay area? As long as I can still make a decent living and live a comfortable life I will be happy. I know the cost of the living is really high, but certainly a dentist can do fine there, other people making less than dentists certainly live there, right?! South Bay can't be full of doctors and CEOs. I'm considering specializing, maybe that would give me a better shot at being successful in the bay area, most likely in Pedo or Endo (haven't decided yet which one I'm most interested in).

Any comments would be appreciated!

Very saturated.

Lower than average pay as a recent grad.

High cost of living.

You're getting way ahead of yourself. Who knows what the economy/job prospects will be like 6 years from now (if you decide to specialize) ?

thanks nile, i just need to take a deep breath and focus on the here and now, i'm just the kind of person that likes to have long-term plans, otherwise i get antsy in the here and now about the there and then. haha, deep breaths, thanks