Pacific University - 2008 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michelle_is_me

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello boys and girls:

Just wondering who are the Pacific U hopefuls here on SDN, where you are in your application process etc etc.

I am currently debating if I want to start on the paper application or wait for the online application to become available. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm debating the same thing.. The online supp was supposed to be up Aug 1.. but when you follow the link, the site says later in August.. I'm guessing it'll be up shortly.

I'll prob go the online route since I have to wait another week until my summer transcript becomes available. :)

i'm going to wait until the online one comes available as well. it won't make much of a difference timewise... also it'll be more accurate/neat to enter my info online.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm hurting on the pharmacist letter of recommendation =( i just started working last week. hopefully i can get one in time for the deadline in november after working here for some time.

actually I received a letter from Janelle, and she said that due to some technical difficulties, the online application wouldn't be available until late August.

I also submitted pre-req worksheet to be checked a few weeks back and they told me that there are about 50 students doing that! wow I think this is going to be a tough year...

I'm also trying to decide b/t online and paper but will probably wait for online since i'm gearing up for PCAT and the end of the month. Luckily, I did the pre-req review this spring and it took them a while to get back. Otherwise just need to type up my essays which I've scribbled out on paper. Should complete all applications by the end of August. Then just sit back for the excruciating long wait and hope for an interview.

I'm also trying to decide b/t online and paper but will probably wait for online since i'm gearing up for PCAT and the end of the month. Luckily, I did the pre-req review this spring and it took them a while to get back. Otherwise just need to type up my essays which I've scribbled out on paper. Should complete all applications by the end of August. Then just sit back for the excruciating long wait and hope for an interview.

Ya I hope I can get in on the first batch of interview... but with my stats I have a feeling they'll hold my application :(

I was wondering when this thread would start up . . . I haven't decided which application I will use. If I have all my stuff put together (essays, LOR's, etc.) before the online app. becomes available, I'll submit the paper one. If not, I'll go online! I had a struggle with the pharmacist LOR as well. There are several pharmacists that I have shadowed, but I have never worked long term with anyone. I found someone who was happy to do it, so hopefully that means he feels he knows me well enough to do it!

My application is all ready to go right NOW. Buuut I'm still sitting around waiting for 1 last transcript to come in. :sleep:

Do you mind sharing your stats?

No problem!:p

Low GPA... ~3.0 for Science, due to a very very bad 2nd year in undergrad. However I have definitely improved in my third year.

Good EC... held two jobs for most of my undergrad, one being in a pharmacy as a clerk, one in a Hospital as a data entry person. Expecting good LORs too.

Good PCAT... but Pacific doesn't factor that in so doesn't matter!

So I'm the type that's rooting more for my extracurricular side, not so much on my GPA. How about yourself?

I am curious what attracted you guys to Pacific. I am from out of state, but I love the Portland area. The people at Pacific have been extremely responsive to every question I have had. The times I have visited the campus I was treated almost like royalty, at least compared to other pharmacy schools I have visited in my area. And then, of course, I think the program's set-up is awesome. So what about you guys? Why Pacific? And what other schools are you applying to?

Simple for me: proximity to California is why I'm applying. I'm staying as far west as possible, and my schools include UH Hilo, Western, USC, UCSF, Midwestern (Glendale), and....Jefferson (Philadelphia). Yeah, I know...oddball on the last one.

And yes...I e-mailed Pacific and got a response within 2 minutes. TWO MINUTES! I was still shuffling e-mail around in my e-mail client when the reply popped up. My friends have taken longer to respond to IM's...haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Simple for me: proximity to California is why I'm applying. I'm staying as far west as possible, and my schools include UH Hilo, Western, USC, UCSF, Midwestern (Glendale), and....Jefferson (Philadelphia). Yeah, I know...oddball on the last one.

And yes...I e-mailed Pacific and got a response within 2 minutes. TWO MINUTES! I was still shuffling e-mail around in my e-mail client when the reply popped up. My friends have taken longer to respond to IM's...haha

Hey I'm applying to almost all of the same schools!

I am from Vancouver, BC. The two schools in Washington will not accept international student, thus Pacific is the closest to home. I love the Pacific Northwest as a place to live.... and like everybody says, Pacific has really friendly staff! So it really makes me feel better coughing up application fees and what not haha.

I have attended a few meetings of the Board of Pharmacy in my home state. I think it's interesting to see the things they deal with and they usually open up for questions and answers at the end. My question is, would you count this as shadowing hours on the Pacific app.? It is certainly observing what some pharmacists do during the day, but it is a little out of the ordinary. . .

I have attended a few meetings of the Board of Pharmacy in my home state. I think it's interesting to see the things they deal with and they usually open up for questions and answers at the end. My question is, would you count this as shadowing hours on the Pacific app.? It is certainly observing what some pharmacists do during the day, but it is a little out of the ordinary. . .

You should email Jon-Erik Larsen and ask. He replies fairly quickly. I would say it does count as pharrmacy experience, but I'm not quite sure.

On another note-- why is the online application still not available?!!! :(

You should email Jon-Erik Larsen and ask. He replies fairly quickly. I would say it does count as pharrmacy experience, but I'm not quite sure.

On another note-- why is the online application still not available?!!! :(

i noe >.< it doesn't really make a big difference but I'd rather type out my answers than hand-write.. my writing is ugly haha.

Did anyone hear from them? anything? I submitted my paper supplemental applications about three weeks ago. I couldn't wait for their online application.

The new admin person told me that they will contact people soon, but haven't heard anything from them myself. Any updates?

did they send you a confirmation letter stating that your application was complete? it's sept and their online app still isn't up yet.

I got an email from them regarding my completed supplemental application. Haven't heard anything ever since.

Don't wait for their online app, just do the paper one. Who knows how long that will take them.

Just mailed mine off this afternoon... could no longer wait for the online.

damn it i keep procrastinating (I keep telling myself i'd just wait for online one) especially now since school just started. Arggh I hope i can get it all done by end of this weekend :mad:

Does anyone know when the interviews begin? And is there a better chance of acceptance if we make the priority deadline vs. the final deadline? I would guess so... :confused: I haven't heard anything since the email saying my application was complete. Any one else have news?

Sadly, I don't have any news. I'm still waiting for my last letter of recommendation to come back! It would make sense, though, that early applications have a better chance simply because there are more seats open. Hope I get mine in before the early deadline! Good luck to ya'll!

I heard that last year there were people accepted by the end of October. That would mean that interviews would probably start early to mid October. Of course, that was last year . . .

I was wondering, what online application are you talking about? Is it the pharmcas? Or do they have a supplemental online application that I haven't heard about?

Pacific University does not accept pharmcas. Their website has a link to the application that can be filled out online.

By the way, THE ON-LINE APPLICATION IS NOW AVAILABLE!!!

sent mine today:eek:

YAY it's finally online! Now I have no more excuses to procrastinate... going to send out all my supplemental tomorrow and hopefully finish the online stuff by end of this weekend :thumbup:

I am trying to do the Science GPA calculation and it says:
"Compute your grade point average (including repeated courses) for all biology, chemistry, physics, and math courses you have completed. Courses taken in a physical education department (i.e., exercise physiology) or other non-science departments should not be used."

I was wondering if biology included Anatomy and physiology, or did they mean general biology? Can anyone clarify?

I am trying to do the Science GPA calculation and it says:
"Compute your grade point average (including repeated courses) for all biology, chemistry, physics, and math courses you have completed. Courses taken in a physical education department (i.e., exercise physiology) or other non-science departments should not be used."

I was wondering if biology included Anatomy and physiology, or did they mean general biology? Can anyone clarify?

You include general biology and anatomy physiology under Science GPA calculation, when I applied last year that is what I did and they confirmed my application, so must have all been right.

Did anyone on this forum apply to University of Pacific out of high school. Cause they do have a direct entry program.

You include general biology and anatomy physiology under Science GPA calculation, when I applied last year that is what I did and they confirmed my application, so must have all been right.

Wait.. it says "Prerequisite Science GPA: Compute your grade point average (including repeated courses) for all biology, chemistry, physics, and math courses you have completed."

So that means math will be part of the Science GPA as well? I'm assuming that math also means statistics as well as? Or just calculus? Also do we include courses like endocrinology and Neurobiology?

Can I just use the science GPA from pharmcas and factor in my math GPA as well?

Sorry, I'm paranoid, because it says if we miscaluate the GPA then, the application will be invalid.

thanks.

Wait.. it says "Prerequisite Science GPA: Compute your grade point average (including repeated courses) for all biology, chemistry, physics, and math courses you have completed."

So that means math will be part of the Science GPA as well? I'm assuming that math also means statistics as well as? Or just calculus? Also do we include courses like endocrinology and Neurobiology?

Can I just use the science GPA from pharmcas and factor in my math GPA as well?

Sorry, I'm paranoid, because it says if we miscaluate the GPA then, the application will be invalid.

thanks.

this is one of those "follow directions" type of tasks. They could make the system calculate your GPA - in fact they do. They want to see your ability to receive instructions, and then complete the tasks.

Math does get lumped in with your science GPA - and Stats is math. Your upper level sciences will also count in your science GPA. If you have specific questions about a course - send an email to the AD of graduate admissions (Im not really sure who the new person is).

Everyone needs to get the application in as soon as possible - I am almost certain that the first round of interviewees has already been selected - but being in the second and third group is almost as good... You do not want to be in the January / Feb interviews - when competition is high and the remaining seats are few.

Good Luck - I know the Ambassadors are meeting on the 12th for the first time to get ready for the interview days... Its gonna be fun :thumbup:

~above~

this is one of those "follow directions" type of tasks. They could make the system calculate your GPA - in fact they do. They want to see your ability to receive instructions, and then complete the tasks.

Math does get lumped in with your science GPA - and Stats is math. Your upper level sciences will also count in your science GPA. If you have specific questions about a course - send an email to the AD of graduate admissions (Im not really sure who the new person is).

Everyone needs to get the application in as soon as possible - I am almost certain that the first round of interviewees has already been selected - but being in the second and third group is almost as good... You do not want to be in the January / Feb interviews - when competition is high and the remaining seats are few.

Good Luck - I know the Ambassadors are meeting on the 12th for the first time to get ready for the interview days... Its gonna be fun :thumbup:

~above~

Thanks for your response, that cleared things up. I actually emailed two people from Pacific (on Thursday and Friday) and both did not reply to me.
What I find odd about their online GPA calculation program is that since i have quarter units, when i convert to semester units, the program does not allow me to input in tenth and hundredths place. This means I have to just round up or down and that worries me, because I know I am calculating my GPA correctly, such as my cumGPA (since I compared it to PharmCas), but it is somewhat off. I dunno. I just wanna hurry up and turn in my application accurately. :eek:

Did anyone received interview invitation from pacific u? I turned my paper supplemental applicaiton about a month ago. (i think)

Haven't heard anything from them. I thought they start interview people in october. just wondering if I should expect rejction letter soon.

thanks for any info. guys.

o no >.< they've already selected the first batch?!?

i thought priority deadline isn't until end of sept?

Hearing that interviews are around the corner, what is the admission committee really looking to see in the application file to get an interview? I realize this a general question and multiple factors go into the decision but any further insight would be great?

Hey guys:

just wondering if everybody filled out the 'any additional information you would like to tell us about yourself' part?

the application pretty much covers everything, would it be wise if I talked about why i received horrible marks for some courses in my undergrad years?

thanks!

Hey guys:

just wondering if everybody filled out the 'any additional information you would like to tell us about yourself' part?

the application pretty much covers everything, would it be wise if I talked about why i received horrible marks for some courses in my undergrad years?

thanks!

Hey Michelle - I used the 'additional info' section to discuss the upward trend in my gpa. Using the section for a postitive thing is ok - but I would avoid discussing anything negative.

If anyone is feeling anxious about Pacific's timeline - you need only go back in time and read the older Pacific thread (not part 2) that I began in like june of 2006. You can follow the posts, seeing when people received interviews and when they were accepted. Thankfully - Pacific is very open about their admissionns process - Interviews are sent out around the same times - and the acceptances typically come less than (2) weeks after the interview day.

Last year - the first interview day was held in mid-late october, 2nd in november, the 3rd in december. It is very likely that it will follow the same trend this year. Also, the priority deadline is just an incentive to get your app in early - aside from being looked at early however, there is no real benefit. I know the people who were looked at in the October interview, had turned in their apps like in Mid August - I turned in my app just before the priority deadline - but received an interview in Novermber. No worries though - just get you app in ASAP.

Good luck - and feel free to post up - I would be happy to answer any questions that I can (assuming I have the time) - the first assessment was a KILLER.

~above~

~above~

Ok. I just got this from Lonnie Anderson.

"Let me first introduce myself - my name is Lonnie Anderson and I am the new Assistant Director of Graduate Admissions for the School of Pharmacy...

As for your Science GPA calculation - you need only to include general biology courses when computing this GPA. As for the statistics class, since that is a "math" course - yes, you should include that class."

So that means we don't include other science courses?? I guess the math part is correct, but man, I getting a little confused... I dunno i guess i'm going to just combine my math and science gpa from pharmcas.

^^ that doesn't sound right. for your science gpa calculation, you should include all the science prerequisites listed on their website (gen chem, o chem, gen bio, micro, anatomy/physiology, , calculus, physics)

I was told a few months ago by Jon-Erik that I could include a third recommendation (beyond the pharmacist and faculty recommendations). Did anyone else do this? How did you cite the recommender on the application (it only has spots for the two requried . . .)?

I know I'm on the late train for applications, but I'm working on them right now..

I was told a few months ago by Jon-Erik that I could include a third recommendation (beyond the pharmacist and faculty recommendations). Did anyone else do this? How did you cite the recommender on the application (it only has spots for the two requried . . .)?

I included a third LOR. I just mailed them all off in one package, and hoped they would see the third one and look at it.:laugh:

I know I'm on the late train for applications, but I'm working on them right now..

koercive ur not late! priority deadline isn't until sept 28...so u're in a good shape :D

On a side note, does anybody knows what to do if you've got more courses than the space is given on the online form?! I've gotten just enough spaces under Biological Sciences if I only included all the courses that I've done, but certainly not enough space if I want to include the planned courses. We ARE suppose to include the planned courses right?

On a side note, does anybody knows what to do if you've got more courses than the space is given on the online form?! I've gotten just enough spaces under Biological Sciences if I only included all the courses that I've done, but certainly not enough space if I want to include the planned courses. We ARE suppose to include the planned courses right?

are you adding classes to pharmCAS or is there another set of inputs needed for UOP directly in terms of adding classes.

you are supposed to add all planned courses. in my case, if i didn't put them, my app would be thrown away because it's stating that i don't plan on completing the necessary pre-reqs

anyone get any confirmation of received app from them?

I received an email from them stating my application was complete on 8/21. I haven't heard anything since then.