Pacific University Oregon Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Admission committee uses their own formulas (GPA, essay, expository writing, experiences in healthcare and in pharmacy, last 45 units GPA, etc...) of selecting the "best" possible candidate that will be successful in their program.

Committee hold does not mean they wont get in. They are still going to be evaluated throughout the interview cycles (there is 3 interviews left).

Good luck to everyone still awaiting interviews and getting acceptances.

I'll will be seeing everyone in August! :):love::D Go Class of 2013!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard of how the class of 2009 did on their Naplex?

Don’t quote me, but at the interview held on November 14th I believe they said that 95% of the 2009 class passed the Naplex.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard of how the class of 2009 did on their Naplex?

Regarding the NAPLEX scores:

NAPLEX: 9527 students took the exam for the first time between May-August, 2009.

1. Our school average (106.15) is close to state average (110.09) and national average (114.65). The maximum score was 150 (which no student achieved).
2. Our result is based on 55 students from the class of 2009 who took the NAPLEX for the first time between May-August, 2009.
3. Our school passing rate (94.55%, i.e., 52 out of 55 students passed NAPLEX) is close to the state (94.26%) and national (97.5%) passing rates.

MPJE: 11942 students took the MPJE between May-August, 2009.

1. Our school average (82.10) is close to state average (83.74) and national average (82.58). The maximum score was 100 (which no student achieved)
5. Our result is based on 59 students from the class of 2009 who took the MPJE for the first time between May-August, 2009.
6. Our school passing rate (93.22%, i.e., 55 out of 59 students passed MPJE) is close to the state (93.28%) and national (94.30%) passing rates. Total

Can any P1, P2 or P3 students comment on how hard (difficult) or attainable the 90% pass rate? Do the professors give you sample exams to practice? Since it's based on the proficiency of the material. In your opinion is it better than the Semester system? - please give us your honest feedback on this-

Thanks

This question is intended for any P1 or P2 student at Pacific U.

I've been intrigued about the school's use of a modified block system. I understand the scheduling of the block tests and contingencies in case folks don't make the 90% grade. I am curious to know if the course materials include practice exams or quizzes to help students gauge one's progress before exams?

In a regular semester system, practice tests or quizzes would be normal.

Any comments from P1 students about the block system?

Thanks much!

Can any P1, P2 or P3 students comment on how hard (difficult) or attainable the 90% pass rate? Do the professors give you sample exams to practice? Since it's based on the proficiency of the material. In your opinion is it better than the Semester system? - please give us your honest feedback on this-

Thanks

Hello P2 Here. I will say that this program is NOT student focused. Actually the faculty do whatever they like. For example it should be clear that we are NO LONGER allowed to do our rotations outside of the Oregon Area. So if you were looking forward to going home for the summer and working on your rotations there it is not going to happen. My entire P3 year will be spent here. I was banking on going home. Its a new policy they sprung on us. ALSO the P1 students were stripped of thier free mondays. The policy was that if you pass fridays exam you get an automotic 3 day weekend. Now Monday is a half day and you have to go. All this was just decided out of no where and we were NOT told. :eek:

Regarding test and the program...if you dont want a life and want to kiss all the normal comforts of life goodbye apply to pacific.

Last edited:

I've been intrigued about the school's use of a modified block system. I understand the scheduling of the block tests and contingencies in case folks don't make the 90% grade. I am curious to know if the course materials include practice exams or quizzes to help students gauge one's progress before exams?

Thanks much!

P2 Here. The first year they provide lots of stuff Quizes. I think one thing people and I didnt understand is that you have to pass with a 90% or higher. You cant get away with a 70% like in all other programs. They dont make the test easier in any way. YOU will spend all night studying they days material and then more material will be slapped onto you the next day. Just think...double the amount of material and even less time to study it. We call this program the Pump And Dump program. You pump info for the test and then Dump it after the test. Good luck.

Hello P2 Here. I will say that this program is NOT student focused. Actually the faculty do whatever they like. For example it should be clear that we are NO LONGER allowed to do our rotations outside of the Oregon Area. So if you were looking forward to going home for the summer and working on your rotations there it is not going to happen. My entire P3 year will be spent here. I was banking on going home. Its a new policy they sprung on us. ALSO the P1 students were stripped of thier free mondays. The policy was that if you pass fridays exam you get an automotic 3 day weekend. Now Monday is a half day and you have to go. All this was just decided out of no where and we were NOT told. :eek:

Regarding test and the program...if you dont want a life and want to kiss all the normal comforts of life goodbye apply to pacific.

I know its expensive and you deserve to know certain things prior to admission, but just suck it up! Your very close to attaining your dream. And were you really expecting to have a life while in RX school? Were you thinking frat parties or something? :laugh: Best of luck to you though!

Thanks for the feedback, but to me, you sounded more like "angry" than helpful..but yeah thanks though!!!

P2 Here. The first year they provide lots of stuff Quizes. I think one thing people and I didnt understand is that you have to pass with a 90% or higher. You cant get away with a 70% like in all other programs. They dont make the test easier in any way. YOU will spend all night studying they days material and then more material will be slapped onto you the next day. Just think...double the amount of material and even less time to study it. We call this program the Pump And Dump program. You pump info for the test and then Dump it after the test. Good luck.

say if you dont score 90% after the make-up exam...what happens?

say if you dont score 90% after the make-up exam...what happens?

Summer remedial short course. Retake exam. If one is unable to achieve 90% at this point. The student will repeat the year and pay another 37k. Thats what I learned from the Open House I attended in September. I'm not a student, and as the previous post points out...things change unexpectedly.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks much!

i'm currently a p1 and just wanted to offer another viewpoint. i love the block system and only studying one subject at a time. i think it helps with the time management aspect of studying because you're not juggling classes. there is still a lot of info, don't get me wrong, but i like not having to switch back and forth between different subjects.

the pass/fail rate is set high but is completely achievable. you don't have time in this program to fall behind and if you're able to keep up with the amount of lecture they get through you'll be prepared. the professors provide study guidelines to follow in the p1 year that tell you exactly what you need to know. there are no study guidelines in the p2 year because the material is approached differently and there are no black and white answers. the professors are also very approachable and helpful after class.

i personally don't mind having class on the mondays following our exams. adding this lecture time prevents the professors from adding new material thursday afternoons before the next exam. this change was made in response to complaints from students and concerns from acpe that there was just too much material to present in 3 years without going to class 5 days a week.

overall, i've been completely satisfied with this program. it is what you make of it.

i'm currently a p1 and just wanted to offer another viewpoint. i love the block system and only studying one subject at a time. i think it helps with the time management aspect of studying because you're not juggling classes. there is still a lot of info, don't get me wrong, but i like not having to switch back and forth between different subjects.

the pass/fail rate is set high but is completely achievable. you don't have time in this program to fall behind and if you're able to keep up with the amount of lecture they get through you'll be prepared. the professors provide study guidelines to follow in the p1 year that tell you exactly what you need to know. there are no study guidelines in the p2 year because the material is approached differently and there are no black and white answers. the professors are also very approachable and helpful after class.

i personally don't mind having class on the mondays following our exams. adding this lecture time prevents the professors from adding new material thursday afternoons before the next exam. this change was made in response to complaints from students and concerns from acpe that there was just too much material to present in 3 years without going to class 5 days a week.

overall, i've been completely satisfied with this program. it is what you make of it.

Makes sense to me! Nice response. Thank you for info. Nice to hear from a student who is appreciative for an education. Not bitter:laugh:

HAHAHA I agree, nice to hear a different side, although it's greatly appreciated to hear the bitter side too!!!:idea:

has anyone gotten their interview invite for 1/23 yet?? for those of you who had your interview in november, when did you receive your invite?? thanks :)

I received my interview invite via email three weeks exactly from the interview day. So, hopefully you should be receiving notice in early January.

Last edited:

Thanks cinneberry.. I recently spoke with a 2009 grad of the program. He told me that he studied most every night, and that only one time did he have to retake the exam on Monday. He says that it is 'do-able' and that the years went by really fast! Well I already sent in my $1,000 so I am not going to look back - just going to go for it! Thanks for sharing your experience!

Thanks for the helpful feedback guys. I was also told that exams typically around 3 hours. Everything is done online (blackboard I believe)...is this correct? What prevents student from checking their notes while taking the test? Also, a P2 student mentioned that the tests are usually a case( situational) type of questions? Can someone elaborate on this?

Thanks

Received an interview invite for 1/23/10 via email today! I am super excited! I was initially going to wait and apply for 2011 but decided to just go ahead and apply for this year since I had everything complete except for economics, which I take in January. I got my PharmCAS application submitted on 10/15 and was nervous about applying so late. I was hoping my GPA and extracurriculars would help me get in this year.

I went ahead and made reservations for Larkspur Landing since it seems fairly close and reasonable as far as pricing goes. I actually only live about 45-60 minutes away from campus but think it would be smart to stay in a hotel near campus so that I can prepare myself and get plenty of rest :sleep:

I look forward to meeting everyone on the 23rd who haven't interviewed yet! Congrats to all those who have already been accepted! Good luck to all! :xf:

has anyone gotten their interview invite for 1/23 yet?? for those of you who had your interview in november, when did you receive your invite?? thanks :)

I just received an interview invite for 1/23 today. i also would be interested to hear some of you current students elaborate on exam structure. Also, how is housing in the area? cost of living (what do you pay for rent)? public transportation, can you get by without a car?

I just received an interview invite for 1/23 today. i also would be interested to hear some of you current students elaborate on exam structure. Also, how is housing in the area? cost of living (what do you pay for rent)? public transportation, can you get by without a car?

I used to live near by. The housing in the area is considered quite affordable. As for public transportation, if you live near the MAX, you can get by without a car.

Anyhow, I will also be interviewing there on 1/23. Good luck to the both of us.

for those who got the interview recently, did you complete your supplemental application before November?

hi guys

for those who received the 1/23 interview when did you esubmit your pharmcas and your supp application? and also would you mind you sharing you GPAs (last 45, science,and cumm)? thank you

hi guys

for those who received the 1/23 interview when did you esubmit your pharmcas and your supp application? and also would you mind you sharing you GPAs (last 45, science,and cumm)? thank you

I submitted my app in the last week of Oct. My GPAs are all right around 3.3

VCU is nice and they also have a campus at inova fairfax hospital...
did u book ur flight or not yet???

hi guys

I submitted mine in November. My last GPAs were averages of 3.6.

Are you waiting to hear from them? I wish you good luck.

I just received another update from Lonnie Anderson, the Director of Graduate and Professional Admissions, informing me that my app is still being under review by the committee. She said that there are only two more interview dates left in Feb and invites for those dates would be given in the end of Jan or beginning of Feb. Fyi, I believe I sent in my app sometime during the beginning of September..

VCU is nice and they also have a campus at inova fairfax hospital...
did u book ur flight or not yet???

Have not booked any flights yet. I got in to UMN so am still trying to figure out if its going to be worth it to interview at more schools

I submitted mine in November. My last GPAs were averages of 3.6.

Are you waiting to hear from them? I wish you good luck.

yes gohusky I am waiting...and i am scared I am praying! thank you..

I just received another update from Lonnie Anderson, the Director of Graduate and Professional Admissions, informing me that my app is still being under review by the committee. She said that there are only two more interview dates left in Feb and invites for those dates would be given in the end of Jan or beginning of Feb. Fyi, I believe I sent in my app sometime during the beginning of September..

I just received the same e mail from her..lets pray and wait!!

Last edited:

got the same thing here, does this mean our apps were passed up for the upcoming interview date or that ours didn't even get looked at yet?

if i'm reading correctly, sounds like they haven't even gotten to look at our app to begin considering us. hopefully that's the case because getting passed up = no good :(

got the same thing here, does this mean our apps were passed up for the upcoming interview date or that ours didn't even get looked at yet?

if i'm reading correctly, sounds like they haven't even gotten to look at our app to begin considering us. hopefully that's the case because getting passed up = no good :(

No, I think they are currently reviewing our applications. But since they might have recieved our applications late and are in process of sending interview invitations For 1/23 at the same time, the selected ones will receive invitation for the next interviews on February. That's what I think not sure though.

Ok, so here is a hypothetical. If a prospective class of 2014 student recently got a ticket for possession of a small amount (petty misdemeanor), would he be unable to pass the background check before matriculation and not be admitted?

hey guys..for those who r going on 01/23... can i arrange with one of u to stay in the same hotel....i never been to oregon before

hey guys..for those who r going on 01/23... can i arrange with one of u to stay in the same hotel....i never been to oregon before

I inteviewed in Nov. I stayed at Mariott Springhill Suites per an email from Lonnie telling us about it. They offered a special for applicants of 79.00 for one night. It was very nice. There was a couch and desk and a separate bed area, full size mirror and a little kitchen. Very comfortable. There is also a workout room, etc. I had my car to drive the few miles to the interview, but the hotel shuttle will drop you off and pick you up. Hope this helps. Worked for me!

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...and-hillsboro/

Last edited:
Attention to all interviewers:

DO NOT STAY AT ECONOLODGE!!!! I repeat DO NOT STAY AT ECONOLODGE!

Disadvantages:
1. The bed sucked! It was better to sleep on the floor than in the bed.
2. The hot water was a major issue. They only had one heating unit for the entire place. So, everyone that took a shower that morning did not get any hot water.

If I had known earlier, I would have stayed at the Marriott!!

Attention to all interviewers:

DO NOT STAY AT ECONOLODGE!!!! I repeat DO NOT STAY AT ECONOLODGE!

Disadvantages:
1. The bed sucked! It was better to sleep on the floor than in the bed.
2. The hot water was a major issue. They only had one heating unit for the entire place. So, everyone that took a shower that morning did not get any hot water.

If I had known earlier, I would have stayed at the Marriott!!

I recommend the Larkspur Landing. It was around $90/night, had an INCREDIBLE bed, all the amenities, plus a (modest) breakfast included in the price.

The only downer was that it wasn't located near the MAX line, so you either have to take a cab to Pacific or rent a car and drive (I did the latter).

Here's their site: http://www.larkspurlanding.com/hotels/hillsboro/index.html

Happy New Year and Good Luck to all of the January Interviewees!

Last edited:
Hey guys. I received an invitation to the interviews on January 23rd. I believe I received the e-mail from Lonnie on January 4th. To those who wanted to know, my cumulative GPA [from Oregon State University] was 3.19. After the academic update, it went up to 3.22. I think my science GPA and the "last 45" GPA were somewhere around 3.07 or 3.08.

I'm a little nervous about the interview, as is expected. But this is my first year applying, and my first pharmacy school interview. Has anybody been to a pharmacy interview? Particularly a Pacific University Oregon interview? What kind of questions were asked? Any nice hotels in the area?

Hey guys. I received an invitation to the interviews on January 23rd. I believe I received the e-mail from Lonnie on January 4th. To those who wanted to know, my cumulative GPA [from Oregon State University] was 3.19. After the academic update, it went up to 3.22. I think my science GPA and the "last 45" GPA were somewhere around 3.07 or 3.08.

I'm a little nervous about the interview, as is expected. But this is my first year applying, and my first pharmacy school interview. Has anybody been to a pharmacy interview? Particularly a Pacific University Oregon interview? What kind of questions were asked? Any nice hotels in the area?

Check out the questions at the bottom of the Interview Feedback page for Pacific: http://www.studentdoctor.net/schools/school/pu/survey/29
I stayed at Springhill Suites and liked it a lot: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...and-hillsboro/

Good Luck to you!

i want to apply next year to pacific but it says they have a 7 year limit on their classes at the time of application. so when i apply in fall 2010, they will only take classes in 2003 and later? i started college and took general chemisty in fall 2002.

Do you have any bachelor or experience in pharmacy or healthcare?

i want to apply next year to pacific but it says they have a 7 year limit on their classes at the time of application. so when i apply in fall 2010, they will only take classes in 2003 and later? i started college and took general chemisty in fall 2002.

Per Pacific: "It is recommended that all required coursework be completed within seven calendar years of the time of application to the program, especially for science courses."
It is not a requirement or a limit. Many of my science courses including Gen Chem were completed greater than 7 years ago. They didn't seem to mind! Don't let that hold you back! Apply and see what happens!