Pacific University Oregon Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'v already gotten into another 3-year PharmD program that I've already paid the deposit for but I got a late interview offer for Pacific for Feb 27th and decided to go just out of curiosity/fun and maybe change my mind if I really liked the school and got admitted. I grew up in Seattle but haven't been back to the Pacific NW in a while (I'm currently 29) and will feel back at home interviewing in Portland on the 27th.

For those of you that have interviewed at this school - What are your impressions of it? Do you like the idea of the block schedule for classes? Does the surrounding area seem like a good place to live?

Does anyone want to give me any hints on what they might ask at the interview?

Thanks for your input and perhaps I'll see some of you on Saturday, February 27th.

Members don't see this ad.

check out the feedback...those question are really good...you've been accepted to a school already..no pressure.

just got an e-mail from lonnie. committee hold :( blah... you guys should hear back soon too

Members don't see this ad :)
Lonnie called me this afternoon telling me that I was accepted. I was interviewed in October and was placed on hold two weeks later. Until today, I thought that I might as well have considered myself rejected from the school. Don't lose hope guys.

Congrats on the acceptance! :thumbup: What time did Lonnie call? I am patiently waiting, too :xf:

I just got the call like 2 hours ago...Im IN.....YAH

Way to go tangov! I bet you're glad the waiting is over :)

yep..also just wanted to let you guys know that i interview on Feb 13

I got accepted on Thursday..i interviewed back in nov. I was loosing hope till i got the call.. just wanted to say please don't loose hope. stay strong!!! it will happen for u!

Got the e-mail saying my app will remain on committee hold. I interviewed January 23rd. Apparently the class is about 3/4 full, with 75 pending acceptances. One more interview remaining.

I'm still on committee hold as well....it seems like all of those taken off of hold were from early interviews. So hopefully, East Troutdale, we'll be taken off of hold next time and accepted together! :xf:

I got accepted on Thursday..i interviewed back in nov. I was loosing hope till i got the call.. just wanted to say please don't loose hope. stay strong!!! it will happen for u!

Congrats Dr. Z!!! :D

For those of you that have interviewed at this school - What are your impressions of it? Do you like the idea of the block schedule for classes? Does the surrounding area seem like a good place to live?

I was really impressed with Pacific. The students I spoke to during interview day were enthusiastic about the school, and the faculty + dean gave great presentations. Plus, the curriculum looks innovative and challenging (team-based learning, with 90% pass rate). Also, the school building is brand new, and they're building another health sciences building next door.

The only drawbacks that I can see are (1) the location, which is in the not-so-fabulous town of Hillsboro, and (2) rotations. If you're from out of state, I heard that the school will no longer allow you to do rotations in your home state. Current Pacific students, can you confirm or deny?

The interview itself was formal but not too stressful. They asked traditional questions like "Tell me about yourself" and "why pharmacy," and sprinkled in a few situational questions here and there. There is also a group activity during which you work with 5-6 other interviewees on a scenario. It's fun.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
i was really impressed with pacific. The students i spoke to during interview day were enthusiastic about the school, and the faculty + dean gave great presentations. Plus, the curriculum looks innovative and challenging (team-based learning, with 90% pass rate). Also, the school building is brand new, and they're building another health sciences building next door.

The only drawbacks that i can see are (1) the location, which is in the not-so-fabulous town of hillsboro, and (2) rotations. If you're from out of state, i heard that the school will no longer allow you to do rotations in your home state. Current pacific students, can you confirm or deny?

The interview itself was formal but not too stressful. They asked traditional questions like "tell me about yourself" and "why pharmacy," and sprinkled in a few situational questions here and there. There is also a group activity during which you work with 5-6 other interviewees on a scenario. It's fun.

Good luck!

+1

True dat, J-Good! Hopefully after the final round of interviews, although I think I would be happy being put on the waitlist since all acceptance offers are still pending, and I have a feeling quite a few people will be pulled off the waitlist since many out-of-staters might prefer to stay near home if accepted to a closer school.

I'm still on committee hold as well....it seems like all of those taken off of hold were from early interviews. So hopefully, East Troutdale, we'll be taken off of hold next time and accepted together! :xf:

I'v already gotten into another 3-year PharmD program that I've already paid the deposit for but I got a late interview offer for Pacific for Feb 27th and decided to go just out of curiosity/fun and maybe change my mind if I really liked the school and got admitted. I grew up in Seattle but haven't been back to the Pacific NW in a while (I'm currently 29) and will feel back at home interviewing in Portland on the 27th.

Does anyone want to give me any hints on what they might ask at the interview?

Thanks for your input and perhaps I'll see some of you on Saturday, February 27th.

I interviewed at both Pacific and Oregon State University and was accepted by both. If you were accepted somewhere else, you would be taking the right decision to stay away from Pacific. The entire school is one floor in one building. It is super expensive for a relatively new program. I think you can find many programs that are more established and reputable than Pacific. Good luck with your application process!

Last edited:
I interviewed at both Pacific and Oregon State University and was accepted by both. If you were accepted somewhere else, you would be taking the right decision to stay away from Pacific. The entire school is one floor in one building. It is super expensive for a relatively new program. I think you can find many programs that are more established and reputable than Pacific. Good luck with your application process!

Would you mind expanding on why one shouldn't attend Pacific U? For a program of less than 300 students (many of whom are out doing rotations), one floor in one building seems to be sufficient. Also, tuition at Pacific U seems to be about the same as at any other private institution. Lastly, the PharmD program at Pacific U is new, but that doesn't seem like a valid reason to discredit it. I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, I just want more information before making an educated decision on what school to attend this fall.

Last edited:
Would you mind expanding on why one shouldn't attend Pacific U? For a program of less than 300 students (many of whom are out doing rotations), one floor in one building seems to be sufficient. Also, tuition at Pacific U seems to be about the same as at any other private institution. Lastly, the PharmD program at Pacific U is new, but that doesn't seem like a valid reason to discredit it. I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, I just want more information before making an educated decision on what school to attend this fall.

If you consider the size of the building, one floor is very small for about 200 students to be there. There were only about 70 people interviewing on my interview date and the place felt crowded already. The size of the library, which is shared by all four schools that are housed in the building, is a joke. And yes, Pacific's tuition is comparable to other private institutions, but it is way more than some other much more established public ones. If you like Pacific, you can go for it. Eventually, it grants you a Pharm D, but I do think that there are many better options out there. Good luck with your decision!

Last edited:
They're building a new complex for all the new health programs at Pacific.
I have friends that graduated from the school. It is a top rate program. Passing 90% on every exam is not easy. It is an accelerated program. It's not for everyone.
It is expensive but only three years, so in the end the costs would be comparable to OSU or other public programs.

anyone have an interview this weekend? if so, Good Luck!

If you consider the size of the building, one floor is very small for about 200 students to be there. There were only about 70 people interviewing on my interview date and the place felt crowded already. The size of the library, which is shared by all four schools that are housed in the building, is a joke. And yes, Pacific's tuition is comparable to other private institutions, but it is way more than some other much more established public ones. If you like Pacific, you can go for it. Eventually, it grants you a Pharm D, but I do think that there are many better options out there. Good luck with your decision!

The only problem I have is the location of the school. Its in the middle of a small town with seemingly not much to do.
On my flight back to Southern California some young guys were complaining about how boring Portland is and that peopel don't seem like they like to have fun much. But coming from So Ca i can relate to what they are saying.

The only problem I have is the location of the school. Its in the middle of a small town with seemingly not much to do.
On my flight back to Southern California some young guys were complaining about how boring Portland is and that peopel don't seem like they like to have fun much. But coming from So Ca i can relate to what they are saying.

I guess I was under the impression that graduate school is about studying and joining a profession. I plan to enjoy my time off from studying but I'm expecting to be pretty busy with school, so where the school is located is less concerning to me. Oregon isn't trying to be California, and if you want California - there are plenty of pharmacy schools there.

I am from SoCal, I really want to get away from the crowd. I don't like the big city stuff, I believe Hillsboro or Portland would be great for me since they are small town. It's all depend on people. Yea it's also true that you will be super busy with school, I wouldn't be too concerned about what to do for fun.

i forgot to mention those guys were high school emo kids LOL.

my main priority is what I get out of the program and as long as Pacific offers a great one which I'm sure they do, then these minor drawbacks don't weigh much on my decision to attend here.

i think California in general are big on parties. hello UOP!

Last edited:
Good luck to those interviewing today!

Yeah, good luck today guys! Let us know how it goes! Hopefully us on hold will be receiving an update within the next few days. Fingers crossed for us, J-Good!

Fingers are crossed! :xf: I can't wait to know....it feels like it's been forever!

Final admissions decisions (acceptance, rejection, waitlist) should be made in March, right? I wonder how far into March....the last interview day was Feb. 27th, so I'm assuming we should hear back pretty soon, right?

Yeah I'm guessing we'll hear back this week or the next.

I just wanted to let everyone that is going to be attending Pacific University Class of 2013 to join the Facebook group.

I strongly believe that networking will allow everyone the opportunity sharing resources pertinent to having the best possbile experience in pharmacy school.

Looking forward to meet everyone this August for an awesome white coat ceremony!

has any1 that interviewed on the 27 of Feb been contacted by the school?

Hi everyone,

First time posting something on SDN! I was there on Interview Day Pacific Oregon 2/27/2010 and wow it was a long day. I brought my camera with me to take a few shots to post up but it was weird that I was the only one who brought one haha They split us into 3 groups: Group A, B, and C. I landed in group B which happened to be the last group to be interviewed. The team building activity was the most favorite part of my day. Expository writing sample was easy breezy. I just hope they can read my writing:p. The people there were so sweet! The students are all very nice and open to questions. I just hate that their name tags were so small to read cuz I seriously didn't know their names. The interview itself was awesome. I had a professor and a pharmacist interview me and they were so nice. I felt it to be more of a conversation than an actual interview.

1.) Why pharmacy?
2.) Why pacific Oregon?
3.) What do you do on your free time?
4.) If there was another degree you could add on to your experience right now, what would it be?
5.) What was the most recent book you've read?
6.) What else would you like to tell us about ? GO ahead and brag! - exact words from the professor.

Because it was like a conversation, there could have been more questions that they asked, but I don't remember.

All I have to say is it was a pretty fun day despite the lingering feeling of "what's going to happen next"... btw, i just received the survey email from Lonnie. That's about it.

Good luck everyone! I'm crossing my fingers, my legs, my eyes, ..braiding my hair...watever i can cross. I wish there was more than 23 seats left for us.....

I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got the call from Lonnie around 530ish. I've been on committee hold since the January 23rd interview. So if you are on hold, don't give up hope. I honestly was expecting to be waitlisted since it had been so long. Best of luck to you all!!!

Congrats :) I hope lonnie didn't call all 2x people remaining today because she didn't call me :(

OMG EAst congrats congrats congrats!

Are you going to attend Pacific? or choosing another school?

Just got the call from Lonnie around 530ish. I've been on committee hold since the January 23rd interview. So if you are on hold, don't give up hope. I honestly was expecting to be waitlisted since it had been so long. Best of luck to you all!!!

congrats eastrout!

i didn't get a call today. =(

i got a good vibe from my interviewers Dr. Cawley and Dr. Cecchini. they were giving me comments like "good answer" and I enjoyed talking with them. There seems to be great faculty members here. Lonnie and other faculty members gave excellent speeches and they came off really nice so I walked away liking Pacific more than when I came in and saw the small campus. I hope I get in. The wait is killing me. The last interview date was Feb 27th so hopefully they will start admitting people off the hold list soon.

Does anyone know how many people get pulled off the hold list after the next interview was conducted?
I interviewed on Jan 23, was on hold, and also hold again on Feb 19th.
Didn't get pulled after Feb 27th date so I'm not sure how much longer I have to wait since interviews are done.

congrats!

Thanks guys!!! I'm so happy. You all are awesome. I hope that these are the kind of people schools look for! I only applied to the Oregon schools this year, so I am still waiting to hear from OSU after I interviewed. If I was offered a spot there, I don't know what I would do. Pacific has very friendly and professional staff and students, but OSU seems very established and a little less intense. Plus, you get summers off are able to work as an intern. Any advice should I have to make this decision?

I think Lonnie mentioned in an e-mail that roughly 20 spots are filled after each interview session, and after 5 interviews, that'd be around the 98. But who knows if all calls have been made yet. I found it weird that she called me around 530 p.m. Even if you're waitlisted in a decent spot, I have a feeling you could get in. Good luck to all other applicants!

Congrats East Troutie Trout! I still haven't heard back...I woke up yesterday with a "feeling" that I would hear something that day, but never did. I guess I'm not a psychic for a reason, lol. Hopefully Lonnie didn't make all of the calls last night--5:30 is definitely past typical business hours, that's for sure.

As far as your possible decision with having to choose between OSU and Pacific, it's really only something you can decide. Obviously the benefit to Pacific is getting out a year earlier, but w/ the major downfall not being able to have summers off. I don't think of this as such as issue being from this area, though. I'm sure OSU is a little cheaper, too. But I think it kind of evens out, b/c you'll be out in the field a year sooner and be making money sooner with a 3 year school. When do you expect to hear back from OSU?

Anyways, congrats again. I hope I hear something soon. I would be happy being on the waitlist if I'm between spots 1-20 b/c I would think those would all get in, but who really knows?

got the call today at 11:37am PST. i am in! wooooot!

i didn't get a call today. =(

i got a good vibe from my interviewers Dr. Cawley and Dr. Cecchini. they were giving me comments like "good answer" and I enjoyed talking with them. There seems to be great faculty members here. Lonnie and other faculty members gave excellent speeches and they came off really nice so I walked away liking Pacific more than when I came in and saw the small campus. I hope I get in. The wait is killing me. The last interview date was Feb 27th so hopefully they will start admitting people off the hold list soon.

Those were my interviewers, too!

Grats yarden :) good to know lonnie is still making calls.