Pacific University versus CIIS PsyD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shakakan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts on these two schools? Pacific's scientific edge seems appealing but CIIS's spiritual and thus holistic orientation makes sense. Yin versus Yang, eh? Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to both, and was offered an interview at both. I will be starting at Pacific this fall. CIIS was impossible to get a hold of, and so even though I was in the Bay Area and would have liked to interview there, it didn't happen. That fact alone seems to say a lot...I called and emailed them and got no reply.

Aside from my interview experience, I was excited about CIIS's eastern approach, but I've repeatedly heard the PsyD program is seperate from the rest of the school and so you don't get that eastern approach too much. I interviewed at another Bay Area school, and my interviewer had previously taught at CIIS, and told me he stopped teaching there because of the quality of the program(they had blatantly lied to the APA, he knew students who had never met their advisors, faculty never around). Thus, it seems, why CIIIS is on probation with the APA on the moment. PM me for more details. It's a shame, because the whole concept of the school was very appealing for me.

Anyway, I'm excited about Pacific, and there are a couple of profs doing mindfulness-based research/practice, so you may still get the eastern approach at Pacific.

Thanks for the peace of mind. I went to the interview at CIIS a few weeks back and wasn't impressed. I submitted my deposit at Pacific yesterday! See you in the fall! -Shakakan

I will be at Pacific too! I am currently a student in the terminal MA program and I love it. See you in August!

Feel free to PM me! :)