Pacific University vs USN (South Jordan) -- Not sure which one to attend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ItsAboutTime

Now or Never
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have admission in Pacific University (Hillsboro, Oregon) and University of Southern Nevada (South Jordan, Utah ). Both schools are new (first batch this year) though USN has fully accreditation (being extension of USN- Henderson) while Pacific University has pre-accreditation.

I am undecided about which school to attend. Please help me by providing comments on pros and cons of each place/school. I will be moving from East Coast along with my husband. I am looking for information on location, climate, job prospects (my husband is IT consultant), activities to do etc . Any other advantages or disadvantage of each school/ place etc? If you were in my situation what will you do and why?

Any kind of information that you can provide would be appreciated ..... Thanks in advance. :)

Members don't see this ad.

ItsAboutTime said:
Hi

I have admission in Pacific University (Hillsboro, Oregon) and University of Southern Nevada (South Jordan, Utah ). Both schools are new (first batch this year) though USN has fully accreditation (being extension of USN- Henderson) while Pacific University has pre-accreditation.

I am undecided about which school to attend. Please help me by providing comments on pros and cons of each place/school. I will be moving from East Coast along with my husband. I am looking for information on location, climate, job prospects (my husband is IT consultant), activities to do etc . Any other advantages or disadvantage of each school/ place etc? If you were in my situation what will you do and why?

Any kind of information that you can provide would be appreciated ..... Thanks in advance. :)

This is a tough call. I don't know really know anything about Hillsboro, but most of my friends that have moved to Utah from the East Coast have dealt with serious lack-of-culture shock. If you are big outdoor enthusiast you will have plenty to do. If you are a more metropolitan oriented person you should realize that moving to South Jordan, Utah is moving straight into the heart of Mormon suburbia. I'm talking non-coffee drinking, stores are closed on Sunday, state-owned liquor stores, can't get a drink at a bar without a membership, Mormon suburbia. But if you can get over that stuff it is a great place to ski/snowboard, hike, mountain/road bike, rock climb, camp, snowshoe. I like it here in Utah, but I am used to all the idosyncracies, though I am still frequently annoyed by them. But the natural scenery and recreation makes up for it. But that's me.

From what I have heard about the accreditation process if a school is working with the ACPE (which they must be if they have pre-candidate status) then there should be no problems with the school becoming fully accredited. What about other program differences? Isn't USN a 3 yr. program? Is Pacific U. accelerated also? Any difference in the financial damage?

I'm happy to answer any Utah specific questions for you. Good luck with your desicion. It's a pretty nice problem to have, trying to decide between your two acceptance offers. Congrats.

KKLPharmD said:
This is a tough call. I don't know really know anything about Hillsboro, but most of my friends that have moved to Utah from the East Coast have dealt with serious lack-of-culture shock. If you are big outdoor enthusiast you will have plenty to do. If you are a more metropolitan oriented person you should realize that moving to South Jordan, Utah is moving straight into the heart of Mormon suburbia. I'm talking non-coffee drinking, stores are closed on Sunday, state-owned liquor stores, can't get a drink at a bar without a membership, Mormon suburbia. But if you can get over that stuff it is a great place to ski/snowboard, hike, mountain/road bike, rock climb, camp, snowshoe. I like it here in Utah, but I am used to all the idosyncracies, though I am still frequently annoyed by them. But the natural scenery and recreation makes up for it. But that's me.

From what I have heard about the accreditation process if a school is working with the ACPE (which they must be if they have pre-candidate status) then there should be no problems with the school becoming fully accredited. What about other program differences? Isn't USN a 3 yr. program? Is Pacific U. accelerated also? Any difference in the financial damage?

I'm happy to answer any Utah specific questions for you. Good luck with your desicion. It's a pretty nice problem to have, trying to decide between your two acceptance offers. Congrats.

Thanks for the information.This is really helpful. USN and Pacific are both 3 year program and will follow the block system (tackling one subject at a time).So not much difference there. And I am pretty sure Pacific U will not have any problem getting full accredition in comming years.

USN does not offer any financial aid and I am still waiting to receive the financial package from Pacific U.That would certainly influence my decision.

How does weather affect the life in Utah ? Since I like warm and sunny weather, how much does it really snow in South Jordan/Salt Lake City Metro area ? I have heard it can snow upto 8 months in a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
ItsAboutTime said:
How does weather affect the life in Utah ? Since I like warm and sunny weather, how much does it really snow in South Jordan/Salt Lake City Metro area ? I have heard it can snow upto 8 months in a year.

I lived in SLC for quite a while. I have bad news for you. Winter is pretty consistently cold (although hardly ever below zero) and it snows a few inches every couple of weeks (unless it's like that one winter in '92 when it snowed everyday for the month of January). Snow starts usually in November and stops sometime in April. Winter weather has almost no effect on life. School is never closed for snow, you get used to it.

The thing that was hardest to deal with were the inversions in the winter. Cold air settles into the valley and it get's foggy and nasty. The remedy for that it is to go skiing. The air is clean and warm up in the mountains.

Summers are extreme as well. Very hot and dry. It's unusual to get much, if any, rain in the summer. The most pleasant times of year are late spring and fall.

twester said:
I lived in SLC for quite a while. I have bad news for you. Winter is pretty consistently cold (although hardly ever below zero) and it snows a few inches every couple of weeks (unless it's like that one winter in '92 when it snowed everyday for the month of January). Snow starts usually in November and stops sometime in April. Winter weather has almost no effect on life. School is never closed for snow, you get used to it.

The thing that was hardest to deal with were the inversions in the winter. Cold air settles into the valley and it get's foggy and nasty. The remedy for that it is to go skiing. The air is clean and warm up in the mountains.

Summers are extreme as well. Very hot and dry. It's unusual to get much, if any, rain in the summer. The most pleasant times of year are late spring and fall.

Yep, that sounds about right. But while it can snow as early as the end of october and as late as mid May the snow rarely covers the ground that entire time. More like Dec. - March. The inversion does suck. That is why you must ski or snowboard. Then you can be excited about the snow! And it is true that it is hot during the summer. Mostly low to mid 90s with about 10 or so days of 100+. But it is super dry, so it's not the bone chilling cold of the northeast and it's not the sticky, sweaty hot of the south. You should also have little problem finding a place to live out in South Jordan that is pretty close to school. There are developments galore out there.

Thanks guys......I am leaning towards Pacific Univ at this point.

Any one else has anything to say ?