+pad+ Psychology & Religion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psycholytic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about having religious studies being woven into a psychology curriculum, or religious discussions going on in seminar meetings in graduate school?

Members don't see this ad.

For me that would be up my ally, but I don't know if it would be for other people. Religion is an important topic because of how drastically it affects peoples' lives, you know? Therefore, I think the exposure would be good.

I think it is important to discuss from a diversity standpoint, or from a shared psychosis standpoint. Other than that, magic has no business in science program.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is important to see how religion relates in a cultural sense.....but 'mixing' the two isn't a good idea. What happens if you have a strong christian slant, and the patient is atheist? Will your beliefs interfere with your ability to provide objective therapy? It is important to understand the influence, but having the clincian's beliefs encroach on the therapuetic process....not a good idea.

-p

I'm not a particularly religious person, but I think it's important to recognize that the vast majority of people in the world espouse a religious worldview, in which a higher power controls their fate and their actions have implications in the afterlife. As psychologists, we should respect this (and not roll our eyes and refer to it as wizardry). If we ignore this fact in therapy, we will have a difficult time communicating with our clients and will be neglecting an important area of their lives, simply because we do not share it. Spirituality is an important, psychologically relevant construct that has been relatively neglected by the research literature.

At the same time, I certainly don't think it's psychology's place to advocate any particular religious doctrines, or that teaching religion is at all appropriate in standard clinical psych programs. I do think that there's an important place for pastoral counsellors, and that clergy should receive some instruction in empirically validated treatments, as they often wear therapists' hats.

I do think that there's an important place for pastoral counsellors, and that clergy should receive some instruction in empirically validated treatments, as they often wear therapists' hats.

No.

Pastoral counselors should be receiving a lot more than that if they are venturing into the 'therapist' realm.

-t

I agree with most that replied to the initial post.

I think that religion has no business in any other field than what it is supposed to relate to, such as ministry, etc.

I am frankly disgusted by the ignorance and arrogance of so called "religious people/students" who use their agenda whenever there is the slightest chance to do so and abuse classrooms, as well as whole programs to ride out their belief system, rub it in your face and even (without a doubt) tell you that religion is everywhere , thus should be a constant in psychology too.

I wonder how these individuals would react, if some psychology students/psychologists would enter their house of what they call prayer, and start teaching stats or evolutionary psych ?

We had a discussion in class a short while ago , where I told another student that I did not appreciate being preached at in school, that I am an atheist and really do not relate to the stuff he tried to convince me of. Oh my, you should have heard the outrage of most of my wonderful classmates , as well as the teacher (who was a Rabbi).

How dare I. This is amazing to me. I thought that voicing an opinion would be part of "free speech";-well it seems it isn't, only when you voice the most desired one, then it is. I thought they would cruzify me right there in the seminar room. It was worse than accusing someone of bloody murder :barf:

I am frankly disgusted by the ignorance and arrogance of so called "religious people/students" who use their agenda whenever there is the slightest chance to do so and abuse classrooms, as well as whole programs to ride out their belief system, rub it in your face and even (without a doubt) tell you that religion is everywhere , thus should be a constant in psychology too.

If you drop the words "of so called religious" I agree with this statement 100%. I, too, am disgusted by the ignorance and arrogance of anyone who uses their agenda whenever there is the slightest chance to do so. This would include political, religious/atheist, or other ideological agendas.

psychanon probably said it best. Psychologists need to understand and respect the various world views of their clients, or risk failing those clients who come to us for help.

How dare I. This is amazing to me. I thought that voicing an opinion would be part of "free speech";-well it seems it isn't, only when you voice the most desired one, then it is. I thought they would cruzify me right there in the seminar room. It was worse than accusing someone of bloody murder :barf:

It shouldn't surprise you. The only requirement to hold a prominent political office in the US is that you publicly profess your belief in an invisible man who lives in the sky. Any politician who identified themselves as a critical thinker who requires evidence to back up beliefs in things of this nature would instantly end their political career.

seems like I have wobbly fingers today, all posts come out twice;-sorry

If you drop the words "of so called religious" I agree with this statement 100%. I, too, am disgusted by the ignorance and arrogance of anyone who uses their agenda whenever there is the slightest chance to do so. This would include political, religious/atheist, or other ideological agendas.

psychanon probably said it best. Psychologists need to understand and respect the various world views of their clients, or risk failing those clients who come to us for help.

I said "so called" because many people claim they are so religious but then live the most hypocritical lifes' (e.g. Mahoney).
And , yes, atheists and anyone mentioning that c..p all the time , like a drill to your head, belong in the same category. For some reason though, I find , like Dr.JT put it so well, that "the man in the sky-belief" is so much removed from reality that it bothers me just a bit more.